Health Tip: Caring for a Minor Burn
- While serious burns require a doctor's care, even minor burns should be treated properly.
Here are suggestions for how to help a minor burn heal, courtesy of the American Academy of Family Physicians:
- Immediately after the injury, soak the area in cool water.
- Don't apply butter, oil, ice or ice water to burns. These products can further damage the skin.
- Treat the burn with a soothing aloe vera gel, or an antibiotic ointment to prevent infection.
- Cover the burn with a dry gauze bandage.
- If needed, take an over-the-counter pain reliever, such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen.
Posted: January 2008