Health Tip: Caring for Kids' Teeth
-- While little ones are mastering their tooth-brushing technique, it's important that parents make sure the kids' teeth are properly cleaned.
The American Dental Association offers these suggestions:
- Parents should start flossing a child's teeth as soon as two neighboring teeth emerge.
- Make sure your child flosses daily and brushes twice a day.
- Use a pea-sized amount of fluoride toothpaste for a young child. Make sure the child doesn't swallow the toothpaste afterward.
- Select a soft-bristled toothbrush for young children, and replace the brush every three-to-four months.
- Children should be able to brush on their own by age 7.
- Ask your child's dentist to demonstrate proper brushing and flossing technique. Supervise a child until you're confident the child is getting the job done.
Posted: February 2014
Recommended for you