Health Tip: Caring for a Deep Cut
-- If you or someone else has gotten a deep cut, it's important to stay calm and administer first aid.
The American College of Emergency Physicians offers these suggestions for treating a deep cut:
- Hold a clean cloth or bandage against the wound, and apply steady pressure.
- At the same time, hold the injured area above your heart (unless a limb is broken).
- If your bandage becomes soaked, leave it there and apply a fresh bandage on top of the old one.
- Try to gently rinse the cut with tap water only -- no antiseptics or soap.
- If after five minutes the cut continues to bleed, if the cut is very deep or wide, if it's located on the head, or otherwise looks serious, seek immediate medical attention.
Posted: February 2009