Health Tip: Caring for a Broken Toe
-- While a broken toe can be very painful, it usually doesn't require surgery, the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons says.
Until the broken toe can be examined by a doctor, the academy offers these suggestions for broken-toe care:
- Avoid putting weight on the affected leg and foot.
- Rest the foot as much as possible.
- Apply an ice pack to the toe for a maximum of 20 minutes at a time to minimize swelling.
- Take a pain-relieving medication such as ibuprofen.
- Wear a wide, comfortable shoe that has a rigid sole.
- Schedule an appointment with your doctor as soon as you can.
Posted: May 2010
Recommended for you