Health Tip: Caring for Baby's Cradle Cap
-- Cradle cap causes red, scaly skin on baby's scalp. It's very common and typically goes away over time.
The American Academy of Pediatrics offers these suggestions to help soothe cradle cap:
- Wash baby's hair when needed with a gentle baby shampoo.
- Softly brush baby's scalp to help remove scales.
- If your pediatrician recommends so, use a medicated shampoo.
- Use an ointment or petroleum jelly on the scalp, but avoid using baby oil.
- Ask the pediatrician about using 1 percent hydrocortisone cream.
- Watch for signs of yeast infection, including increased redness and itchiness.
Posted: November 2012