Health Tip: Be Careful While Using Oxygen Therapy
-- While you're using at-home oxygen therapy, remember that you'll need to be very cautious around anything that has a flame or can ignite.
The ADAM Encyclopedia offers these safety suggestions:
- Make sure there are working smoke detectors throughout your home, and keep a fire extinguisher handy.
- Never smoke or allow smoking around the oxygen; stay a minimum of 6 feet from any smoker.
- Keep the oxygen at least 6 feet from any fireplace, stove or electric appliance such as a hairdryer, electric toothbrush or razor, electric blanket, electric toy, space heater or electric baseboard heater.
- Keep the oxygen as far away as possible from an oven or stove while cooking, and be very wary of grease splatters.
- Keep the oxygen away from any flammable liquid.
Posted: January 2011
Recommended for you