Health Tip: Take Care of Yourself, Too
-- People who constantly care for others with emotional and physical problems often become stressed themselves.
Signs of caregiver stress may include weight changes, problems sleeping, depression or frequent bouts of anger.
The Womenshealth.gov website offers these suggestions to help relieve caregiver stress:
- Seek help from friends and loved ones, and local community caregiving resources and support groups.
- Don't be afraid to say "no" to requests that will require too much of your energy and time. Be realistic when setting your goals.
- Know and accept that you cannot change everything, and recognize that there is no such thing as a perfect caregiver.
- Stay organized by keeping lists, and prioritizing your responsibilities.
- Maintain relationships with friends and family, and take time each week to do something that you enjoy.
- Do your best to maintain a sense of humor.
- Find time for daily exercise, and keep regular checkups with your doctor.
Posted: June 2012
Recommended for you