Health Tip: Care for Your Cast
-- If you must wear a cast or splint to protect an injury, it's important to care for it properly while you heal.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these suggestions:
- Keep the cast/splint dry by wrapping it in two layers of plastic when you shower.
- Stay off your feet and avoid walking in a cast until it has completely dried and hardened. Fiberglass casts take one hour or so to dry, and plaster casts about two or three days.
- Protect your cast/splint from powder, dirt and sand.
- Never pull the padding from your splint/cast, and never insert any object between your splint/cast and skin. Don't put deodorant or powder inside the splint/cast to manage itching.
- Never break off or trim edges of a cast.
- Regularly and carefully inspect your cast/splint and the skin around it. Let your doctor know of any problems.
Posted: February 2013
Recommended for you