Health Tip: Take Care of Hemorrhoids
-- Hemorrhoids occur when rectal veins become swollen, itchy, painful and tender, often from straining to move the bowels.
The American Gastroenterological Association says the following options may help control hemorrhoids:
- Add more fiber to your diet in the form of fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
- Drink plenty of liquids each day.
- Use a stool softener or fiber supplement.
- Soothe with a bath, cold pack or bed rest.
- Wipe gently with a moist tissue after a bowel movement.
If symptoms continue, visit your doctor, the association advises.
Posted: September 2010