Health Tip: Buying Athletic Shoes
- Properly fitted athletic shoes are an essential part of every workout. But finding the right shoe could be a challenge.
Here are some guidelines, courtesy of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons:
- Because feet swell with activity, always try on athletic shoes later in the day or after a workout.
- Try on shoes with the same type of socks that you use to work out.
- Make sure you can easily wiggle your toes when the shoes are laced up, and that your heel doesn't slip as you walk.
- Try walking or running a few steps in the store to be sure the shoes are comfortable. You should not have to "break in" athletic shoes.
- Always fully lace shoes when trying them on, as you would to work out.
- If you work out frequently, buy a shoe specific to the sport or exercise that you perform.
Posted: November 2007