Health Tip: Bonding With Your Premature Baby
-- Premature babies -- those born earlier than 37 weeks -- are at higher risk of complications and may need to spend time in the hospital's neonatal intensive care until they are healthy enough to go home.
The American Pregnancy Association offers these suggestions to help you bond with your premature newborn:
- Gently touch or stroke your baby as often as possible.
- Try talking, reading or singing to your baby, who is used to the comforting sound of your voice.
- If allowed, change your baby's diaper yourself.
- Take your baby's temperature when it's time.
- Participate in giving your baby the first bath.
Posted: October 2008
Recommended for you