Health Tip: Blood Tests During Pregnancy
-- If you're pregnant, your doctor may prescribe a series of tests to make sure there aren't any health problems that need to be addressed before you give birth.
The American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology says blood work may ordered to check for the following things:
- Hepatitis B virus.
- Syphilis, HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases.
- Rubella (German measles).
- Blood glucose levels (to test for gestational diabetes).
- Your blood type, and that of the fetus.
- Cystic fibrosis carrier testing.
Posted: April 2009