Health Tip: Beat by the Summer Heat
- Soaring temperatures and high humidity can lead to heat-related ills, including heat stroke.
Some people are at greater risk, the U.S. National Safety Council says. They include:
- Babies and young children, the elderly, and pets.
- People who have a chronic illness, including heart problems and circulatory conditions.
- People who must work outdoors in the sun.
- Athletes who practice or play outdoors, or people who are just starting an outdoor exercise program.
- People who abuse drugs and alcohol.
- Anyone taking medications that affect sweat production.
Posted: July 2008