Health Tip: Avoiding Toxic Shock Syndrome
-- Wearing the same tampon for an extended amount of time could lead to a rare, but sometimes deadly disease called toxic shock syndrome (TSS).
The National Women's Health Information Center offers this advice on how to avoid TSS:
- Always follow the instructions in the package on inserting and using the product.
- Use the lowest absorbency tampons that will work for you.
- Change your tampon every four to eight hours; never leave one in longer than that.
- Consider switching between tampons and pads.
- Only use tampons when you have your period, never between cycles.
Posted: April 2009