Health Tip: Avoid Medical Mistakes
-- Sometimes, there's nothing you can do to avoid a medical error.
But the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons says that's not always the case. Here are steps you can take to reduce your risk of a medical error at the doctor's office or hospital:
- Ask plenty of questions, especially about tests, medications or other treatments you receive.
- Confirm that each health care worker you see knows your medical history, including any allergies and medications you take.
- Bring along a friend or family member to help ensure that your care is safe and effective.
- Check your prescriptions at the pharmacy to be sure they're correct.
- Request that any staff member administering your medications looks at your hospital ID bracelet each time.
- Ask staff to wash their hands before they examine or touch you.
Posted: November 2010