Health Tip: Avoid Driving During Flood Warning
-- If the National Weather Service in your area has issued a flood warning, experts say you should avoid driving unless absolutely necessary.
The Ready.gov website offers this advice about driving during a flood:
- Driving in just 6 inches of water can cause the car to stall, and water can begin to seep into the car.
- A foot of water on the road will cause many vehicles to float.
- Two feet of rushing flood water is enough to carry even pickup trucks and SUVs.
- If you see a road that is flooded, do not attempt to drive on it.
- Never drive through a barricade.
- Follow designated evacuation routes and do not try to take a shortcut.
Posted: April 2014