Health Tip: Apply Sunscreen Properly
-- Sunscreen can help you avoid the harmful effects of the sun's ultraviolet rays, but the product must be applied properly to be effective.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offers these guidelines:
- Lather your skin with sunscreen about 30 minutes before you go outside, and always reapply after you swim or sweat heavily.
- If you spend a lot of time outdoors, reapply sunscreen several times throughout the day.
- Thoroughly shake the bottle before applying.
- Apply a thick, thorough layer of sunscreen, and don't scrimp.
- Don't forget to use sunscreen on your ears, shoulders, back and the backs of your knees and legs.
- Don't get sunscreen in your eyes.
Posted: June 2012