Health Tip: Anticipating Acupuncture
-- If you've decided to try acupuncture to help treat pain or another health condition, the first step is to find a qualified, licensed acupuncturist.
Once you've accomplished that, the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine offers this explanation of what to expect during your treatment.
- At your initial visit, the acupuncturist should ask you about your health history, medications you are taking, and your lifestyle.
- The metal needles used are extremely thin -- approximately the thickness of a human hair.
- Most people feel very little or no pain as the needles are inserted into the skin.
- The way you feel after the experience may vary. Some people have more energy, while others feel more relaxed.
- Treatments may last several weeks or longer.
Posted: December 2008
Recommended for you