Health Tip: Will Allergy Shots Work for Me?
-- Allergy shots can provide much-needed relief from watery eyes, runny nose and other allergy symptoms.
But the shots aren't for everyone. The American Academy of Asthma, Allergy and Immunology says they're not appropriate for food allergies.
Before deciding to begin allergy shots, the academy says you should consider these factors:
- The severity of your allergy symptoms.
- How long your allergy season lasts.
- The effectiveness of antihistamines in treating your allergy symptoms.
- Your desire and ability to take antihistamines and other medications over the long-term.
- Your ability to visit an allergist consistently to get allergy shots.
- Your ability to pay any costs associated with allergy shots.
Posted: June 2011