Health Tip: After Your Child is Born
- It's important to properly care for your newborn's umbilical cord to prevent infection and related complications.
Here are warning signs, courtesy of the University of Virginia Health System, that should prompt you to contact your doctor:
- The end of the umbilical cord (near the skin) is bleeding.
- What's left of the cord is discharging yellow or white pus.
- Swelling or redness is surrounding the belly button.
- Your baby is providing signals that the belly button is sore or tender.
Posted: November 2008