Health Tip: Activities for People With Alzheimer's
-- People with Alzheimer's disease should be kept busy, both mentally and physically. This can be a challenge.
The National Institute on Aging says building on current skills generally works better than trying to learn something new. The agency offers these suggestions:
- Keep activities simple and at the person's level.
- Offer more support as the person gets started, and break the activity into small steps.
- Don't push any activity if you notice the person getting agitated.
- If the person enjoys certain activities, try to make them part of a daily routine.
- Have the person assist in the entire routine. At mealtime, for instance, have the person help set the table, make the food and clean up afterward.
Posted: May 2008
Recommended for you