Health Tip: Act Fast After Sunburn
-- Sunburn is not only painful, but can help cause serious long-term damage to your skin.
The Skin Cancer Foundation offers these suggestions for prompt treatment of sunburn:
- Get out of the sun as soon as you see the first hint of sunburn. It can take several hours for the full effects to appear.
- Take a cool bath or shower, then slather on a rich moisturizer. Moisturize frequently with a product containing vitamins C and E.
- Never pick, peel or rub sunburned skin.
- Drink plenty of water as sunburn can dehydrate you or your child. Carefully monitor children for signs of dehydration.
- Take ibuprofen right away to ease pain and swelling.
- Blistering sunburns that cover more than 20 percent of the body or sunburns that cause chills and fever should be checked immediately by a doctor.
Posted: July 2014