Health Tip: Aches and Pains?
- Muscle aches most often occur due to overuse or straining during activity, but they may also be triggered by certain diseases and conditions.
Here are possible at-home treatments to soothe sore muscles, courtesy of the U.S. National Library of Medicine:
- For the first three days after a muscle injury, apply ice to the area.
- After the first three days, apply heat to the area.
- Take an over-the-counter pain reliever, such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
- Try gently massaging and stretching the area. Also, rest the muscle as much as possible.
- Once the muscle feels like it has begun to heal, try some light exercise to get back into shape. Walking, swimming and other low-impact exercises are good choices.
- If you continue to have pain in the injured area, see your doctor.
Posted: November 2007