FDA Issues Warning for Nature's Deli Chicken Jerky Dog Treats
THURSDAY Dec. 6, 2012 -- Consumers should not feed their pets certain Nature's Deli Chicken Jerky Dog Treats that may be contaminated with salmonella, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced Thursday.
The treats, packaged and distributed by Kasel Associates Industries Inc., of Denver, have a lot code of BESTBY061913DEN and are sold in three-pound packages. They were sold at Costco stores in the Denver area.
Costco is working with the FDA and has removed all the affected treats from its shelves, and will contact customers who may have bought the product.
The FDA issued the warning after a retail sample tested by the Colorado Department of Agriculture in November tested positive for salmonella.
Kasel has refused to announce a voluntary recall of the affected treats. The company did recall one of Nature's Deli Chicken Jerky Dog Treats on Oct. 2 but that recall did not extend to the lot code covered by this warning, the FDA said.
Both pets and people can become infected with salmonella by handling or eating the contaminated treats. The FDA has not received any reports of illnesses associated with these products.
Consumers with the treats should dispose of them in ways that people and animals, including wild animals, cannot get at them. For example, place them in a securely lidded garbage can.
This warning is not associated with an ongoing investigation of reported illnesses in dogs and consumption of chicken jerky treats, the FDA said.
In pets, salmonella infection can cause decreased appetite, lethargy, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever, vomiting and abdominal pain. Pets that are infected but otherwise healthy can be carriers and infect other pets and humans.
People whose pets have eaten the treats or are experiencing any of the above symptoms should contact their veterinarian right away, the FDA advised.
Otherwise healthy people infected with salmonella may experience symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloodY diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever. In rare cases, salmonella can cause more serious problems.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service has more about salmonella.
Posted: December 2012