AstraZeneca Announces First Direct-to-Patient Program Offering the Brand Arimidex (anastrozole) Tablets to Patients for Only $40 Per Month
Patients with a valid prescription would get the medication delivered directly to their home
WILMINGTON, Del.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb 16, 2012 - AstraZeneca (NYSE: AZN) today announced its first-ever direct-to-patient program offering patients with a valid prescription for ARIMIDEX or anastrozole the opportunity to have the brand ARIMIDEX delivered directly to their home by Express Scripts, a specialty pharmacy services provider, for $40 per month, including shipping.
“ARIMIDEX Direct marks a first for AstraZeneca,” said Steve Davis, Executive Director, Foundation Brands, AstraZeneca. “We believe it is also the first time eligible patients have a nationwide direct-to-patient option. The program offers the brand ARIMIDEX at the low cost of $40 per month via home delivery,” Davis continued. “It is an important new way for AstraZeneca to help meet U.S. customer needs.”
Calls from patients seeking information on how to obtain the brand ARIMIDEX more affordably helped spur creation of the direct-to-patient program. Upon further research, AstraZeneca confirmed that eligible patients could realize significant cost savings through ARIMIDEX Direct.
ARIMIDEX Direct does not require a qualification process, nor is a coupon or savings card needed. The program is open to all patients with a valid prescription for ARIMIDEX or anastrozole who elect to receive and pay for the brand ARIMIDEX on their own. Prescription insurance coverage, including Medicare and Medicaid, cannot be used for any type of reimbursement.
There are two ways to enroll in ARIMIDEX Direct. Patients may download the form from ARIMIDEX.com and then mail in their prescription and enrollment information, or their physician can fax the enrollment form and prescription to 1-800-698-3759. Patients can expect to receive their first shipment of ARIMIDEX within 5 to 7 days. Physicians can prescribe a limited number of tablets to be filled at the patient's local pharmacy until the first prescription arrives.
ARIMIDEX Direct is the latest development in AstraZeneca's long tradition of innovation in oncology. Over the years, AstraZeneca has produced some of the world's leading cancer treatments and made significant strides against breast cancer. Further, AstraZeneca has long played a leadership role in raising awareness about breast cancer and the importance of screening. The AstraZeneca Foundation was one of the founders of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. In addition, AstraZeneca is proud to be an award recipient of the CEO Gold Standard Accreditation from the CEO Roundtable on Cancer since 2006.
Patients or physicians with questions can call 1-800-637-3616 to contact ARIMIDEX Direct Customer Service between 8:00 AM and 6:00 PM ET, Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.
Important Safety Information About ARIMIDEX® (anastrozole) Tablets
- Prescription ARIMIDEX is only for postmenopausal women. ARIMIDEX should not be taken if you are pregnant because it may harm your unborn child
- Do not take ARIMIDEX if you are allergic to any of its ingredients
- Based on information from a study in patients with early breast cancer, women with a history of blockages in heart arteries (ischemic heart disease) who take ARIMIDEX may have a slight increase in this type of heart disease compared to similar patients who take tamoxifen
- ARIMIDEX can cause bone softening/weakening (osteoporosis) increasing the chance of fractures. In a clinical study in early breast cancer, there were more fractures (including fractures of the spine, hip, and wrist) with ARIMIDEX (10%) than with tamoxifen (7%)
- In a clinical study in early breast cancer, some patients taking ARIMIDEX had an increase in cholesterol. Skin reactions, allergic reactions, and changes in blood tests of liver function have also been reported
- In the early breast cancer clinical trial, the most common side effects seen with ARIMIDEX include hot flashes, joint symptoms (including arthritis and arthralgia), weakness, mood changes, pain, back pain, sore throat, nausea and vomiting, rash, depression, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, fractures, swelling of arms/legs, insomnia, and headache
- In advanced breast cancer trials, the most common side effects seen with ARIMIDEX versus tamoxifen include hot flashes, nausea, decreased energy and weakness, pain, back pain, headache, bone pain, increased cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, and swelling of arms and legs. Joint pain/stiffness has been reported in association with the use of ARIMIDEX
- ARIMIDEX should not be taken with tamoxifen or estrogen-containing therapies
Approved Uses for ARIMIDEX® (anastrozole) Tablets
ARIMIDEX is approved for adjuvant treatment (treatment following surgery with or without radiation) of postmenopausal women with hormone receptor-positive early breast cancer.
ARIMIDEX is approved for the initial treatment of postmenopausal women with hormone receptor-positive or hormone receptor-unknown locally advanced or metastatic breast cancer and for the treatment of postmenopausal women with advanced breast cancer that has progressed following treatment with tamoxifen. Patients with hormone receptor-negative disease and patients who did not previously respond to tamoxifen therapy rarely responded to ARIMIDEX.
For more information, see your doctor. Please see full Prescribing Information.
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit www.FDA.gov/medwatch or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical business with a primary focus on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for gastrointestinal, cardiovascular, neuroscience, respiratory and inflammation, oncology and infectious disease. AstraZeneca operates in over 100 countries and its innovative medicines are used by millions of patients worldwide.
For more information about AstraZeneca in the U.S. or our AZ&Me™ Prescription Savings programs, please visit www.astrazeneca-us.com or call 1-800-AZandMe (292-6363).
ARIMIDEX is a registered trademark of the AstraZeneca group of companies.
Anna Padula, 302-885-3332
Posted: February 2012
Recommended for you