BelviqTreatment for Obesity
Update: Belviq (lorcaserin) Now FDA Approved - June 27, 2012
Obesity Expert to Speak to FDA in Support of Treatment Options for Obese Patients
DENVER, Sept. 15 /PRNewswire/ -- On September 16, Denise Bruner, MD, FASBP will speak in favor of FDA approval for the new obesity drug Lorcaserin, during the open public hearing hour at the Endocrinologic and Metabolic Drug Advisory Committee meeting.
Dr. Bruner is a past president of the American Society of Bariatric Physicians (ASBP) and will speak to the committee on behalf of the Society's nearly 1,300 members throughout the U.S. ASBP's physicians know from long experience that obesity can be a lifelong, chronic illness, which ultimately can produce very serious health risks and which can lower the quality of life of those afflicted.
With recent obesity costs topping $147 billion per year, it is imperative that doctors be better equipped to treat obesity. Research has shown that medical intervention can assist with weight loss and maintenance, and that weight loss can reverse or retard the development of diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea and numerous other seriously harmful consequences of obesity.
Patients with obesity have few treatment options. While new obesity drugs are reviewed with great caution due to unexpected adverse reactions of past drugs, there is every reason to be confident that the clinical trials for Lorcaserin have adequately identified the relevant risks. Dr. Bruner, in speaking on behalf of the ASBP, will encourage the FDA advisory committee to consider the demonstrated effectiveness and benefits of this drug as thoroughly as it considers any risks.
About the ASBP
Founded in 1950, the ASBP is the oldest medical association focused on the education and training of medical professionals treating and managing obese patients and associated diseases. The ASBP is a collaborative organization that provides its members practical information and business tools to implement a successful medical bariatric practice. For more information about the ASBP, visit www.asbp.org.
CONTACT: Nicola Grun of ASBP, +1-303-770-2526, Nicola@asbp.org
Web Site: http://www.asbp.org/
Posted: September 2010
- FDA Approves Belviq to Treat Some Overweight or Obese Adults - June 27, 2012
- Lorcaserin Receives Positive Vote From FDA Advisory Committee - May 10, 2012
- Arena Pharmaceuticals Receives Notice from FDA of Advisory Committee Meeting for Lorcaserin - February 1, 2012
- FDA Accepts Resubmission of Lorcaserin New Drug Application - January 10, 2012
- Arena Submits Response to FDA Complete Response Letter for Lorcaserin - January 4, 2012
- Arena and Eisai Complete End-of-Review Meeting with FDA for Lorcaserin New Drug Application - December 22, 2010
- FDA Issues Complete Response Letter for Lorcaserin New Drug Application - October 25, 2010
- Arena and Eisai Provide Update on Lorcaserin FDA Advisory Committee Meeting - September 17, 2010
- FDA Confirms September 16th Advisory Committee Meeting to Review Lorcaserin for Obesity and Weight Management - August 6, 2010
- Arena Pharmaceuticals Receives PDUFA Date for Lorcaserin NDA - February 26, 2010
- Arena Pharmaceuticals Announces FDA Acceptance of Lorcaserin NDA for Filing - February 24, 2010
- Arena Pharmaceuticals Submits New Drug Application to FDA for Lorcaserin for Weight Management - December 22, 2009