Class: Antiallergic Agents
Chemical Name: 9-Ethyl-6,9-dihydro-4,6-dioxo-10-propyl-4H-pyrano[3,2-g]quinoline-2,8-dicarboxylic acid
Molecular Formula: C19H17NO7
CAS Number: 69409-73-6
Uses for Nedocromil
Nedocromil Dosage and Administration
If more than 1 topical ophthalmic drug is used, administer the drugs at least 10–15 minutes apart.a
Avoid contamination of the solution container.2
Available as nedocromil sodium; dosage expressed in terms of the salt.1
Cautions for Nedocromil
Common Adverse Effects
Interactions for Nedocromil
No formal drug interaction studies to date.3
Minimally absorbed (<4%) following topical application to the eye.1
Excreted principally unchanged in urine (70%) and feces (30%).1
Tightly closed bottle at 2–25°C.1
Advice to Patients
Importance of learning and adhering to proper administration techniques to avoid contamination of the solution container.1
Importance of not wearing contact lenses in the presence of signs and symptoms of allergic conjunctivitis.1 If contact lenses must be worn, delay insertion of soft contact lenses after instillation, since benzalkonium chloride preservative may be absorbed by some soft contact lenses.3
Importance of administering different topical ophthalmic preparations at least 10–15 minutes apart.a
Importance of women informing clinicians if they are or plan to become pregnant or plan to breast-feed.1
Importance of informing clinicians of existing or contemplated therapy, including prescription and OTC drugs, as well as any concomitant illnesses.
Importance of informing patients of other important precautionary information. (See Cautions.)
Excipients in commercially available drug preparations may have clinically important effects in some individuals; consult specific product labeling for details.
Alocril (with benzalkonium chloride)
This pricing information is subject to change at the sole discretion of DS Pharmacy. This pricing information was updated 02/2014. Actual costs to patients will vary depending on the use of specific retail or mail-order locations and health insurance copays.
Alocril 2% Solution (ALLERGAN): 5/$104.99 or 15/$304.48
AHFS DI Essentials. © Copyright, 2004-2014, Selected Revisions September 1, 2005. American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, Inc., 7272 Wisconsin Avenue, Bethesda, Maryland 20814.
1. Allergan, Inc. Alocril (nedocromil sodium) ophthalmic solution 2% prescribing information. Irvine, CA; 2000.
2. Allergan. A patient’s guide to the treatment of itchy allergy eyes. From Allergan website ().
3. Allergan, Inc. Alocril (nedocromil sodium) formulary information. Irvine, CA; 2000.
4. Blumenthal M, Casale T, Dockhorn R et al. Efficacy and safety of nedocromil sodium ophthalmic solution in the treatment of seasonal allergic conjunctivitis. Am J Ophthalmol. 1992; 113:56-63. [IDIS 289823] [PubMed 1309410]
5. Blumenthal MN, Schwartz RH, Kaiser H. Nedocromil sodium 2% ophthalmic solution for the treatment of ragweed pollen seasonal allergic conjunctivitis. Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2000; 8:159-67. [PubMed 11120577]
6. Melamed J, Schwartz RH, Hirsch SR et al. Evaluation of nedocromil sodium 2% ophthalmic solution for the treatment of seasonal allergic conjunctivitis. Ann Allergy. 1994; 73:57-66. [IDIS 333818] [PubMed 8030804]
7. Moller C, Berg IM, Berg T et al. Nedocromil sodium 2% eye drops for twice-daily treatment of seasonal allergic conjunctivitis: a Swedish multicentre placebo-controlled study in children allergic to birch pollen. Clin Exp Allergy. 1994; 24:884-7. [PubMed 7812890]
8. Alexander M, Rosen LJ, Yang WH. Comparison of topical nedocromil sodium and oral terfenadine for the treatment of seasonal allergic conjunctivitis. Clin Ther. 1999; 21:1900-7. [IDIS 440862] [PubMed 10890262]
9. Ciprandi G, Buscaglia S, Cerqueti PM et al. Drug treatment of allergic conjunctivitis: a review of the evidence. Drugs. 1992; 43:154-76. [IDIS 360840] [PubMed 1372215]
10. Morrow GL, Abbott RL. Conjunctivitis. Am Fam Physician. 1998; 57:735-46. [IDIS 418448] [PubMed 9490996]
11. Titi MJ. A critical look at ocular allergy drugs. Am Fam Physician. 1996; 53:2637-42. [IDIS 367250] [PubMed 8644576]
12. Galindez OA, Kaufman HE. Coping with the itchy-burnies: the management of allergic conjunctivitis. Ophthalmology. 1996; 103:1335-6. [IDIS 373485] [PubMed 8841290]
a. Allergan Inc; Irvine, CA: Personal communication.
More about nedocromil ophthalmic
- Other brands: Alocril