Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is Propylparaben?
Propylparaben has been used as an antimicrobial preservative in the food, cosmetic, and pharmaceutical industries for over 50 years. The chemical formula for propylparaben is C10H12O3.
Propylparaben is easily absorbed through the gastrointestinal tract and skin, and metabolites are rapidly excreted in the urine. It does not appear to accumulate in the body. It is on the FDA generally regarded as safe list.
Animal toxicity studies suggest propylparaben is relatively nontoxic by both the oral and injectable routes, but may irritate the skin It has not been shown to be carcinogenic, mutagenic or clastogenic. All parabens have similar structure to estrogen. Studies conducted in the early 2000s located traces of parabens in breast tumors, but evidence has not linked parabens with breast cancer.
The Cosmetic Ingredient Review (CIR) reviewed the safety of methylparaben, propylparaben, and butylparaben in 1984 and concluded they were safe for use in cosmetic products at levels up to 25%. Typically parabens are used at levels ranging from 0.01 to 0.3%.
 Dave RH. Overview of pharmaceutical excipients used in tablets and capsules. Drug Topics (online). Advanstar. 10/24/2008. Accessed 08/17/2011. http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Top+News/Overview-of-pharmaceutical-excipients-used-in-tabl/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/561047
Top Medications Containing Propylparaben
- Amantadine Hydrochloride 100 mg (Sandoz Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Amoxicillin 500 mg (Teva Pharmaceuticals USA)
- Benzonatate 200 mg (Major Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Benzonatate 100 mg (Zydus Pharmaceuticals)
- Benzonatate 200 mg (Zydus Pharmaceuticals)
- Benzonatate 100 mg (Major Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Chlordiazepoxide Hydrochloride 10 mg (Teva Pharmaceuticals USA)
- Cough & Cold chlorpheniramine maleate 4 mg / dextromethorphan hydrobromide 30 mg (Major Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride 25 mg (Perrigo Company)
- Fluoxetine Hydrochloride 20 mg (Barr Laboratories, Inc.)
- Nortriptyline Hydrochloride 25 mg (Teva Pharmaceuticals USA)
- Nortriptyline Hydrochloride 10 mg (Teva Pharmaceuticals USA)
- Nortriptyline Hydrochloride 75 mg (Teva Pharmaceuticals USA)
- Oxazepam 15 mg (Actavis)
- Oxazepam 10 mg (Actavis)
- Phenytoin Sodium Extended 100 mg (Taro Pharmaceuticals U.S.A., Inc.)
- Temazepam 15 mg (Sandoz Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Temazepam 30 mg (Sandoz Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Tylenol Extra Strength 500 mg (McNeil Consumer)
- Vimovo esomeprazole 20 mg / naproxen 500 mg (AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals)