Polyethylene Glycol 6000
Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is Polyethylene Glycol 6000?
Polyethylene glycol, referred to as PEG, is used as an inactive ingredient in the pharmaceutical industry as a solvent, plasticizer, surfactant, ointments and suppository base, and tablet and capsule lubricant. PEG has low toxicity with systemic absorption less than 0.5%.
PEGylation occurs when PEGs are attached to various protein medications, allowing for greater solubility for certain drugs. Examples of PEGylated medications include PEG-interferon alpha (Pegintron) and PEG-filgrastim (Neulasta). PEG is also available as a bowel prep for colonoscopy procedures and as a laxative.
PEG 400 indicates the average molecular weight of the specific PEG at 400. PEG 3350 is a laxative available over-the-counter by the name of Miralax. In this case, PEG is considered an "active" ingredient, even though systemic absorption is less than 0.5%.
 Dave RH. Overview of pharmaceutical excipients used in tablets and capsules. Drug Topics (online). Advanstar. 10/24/2008 http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Top+News/Overview-of-pharmaceutical-excipients-used-in-tabl/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/561047. Accessed 08/19/2011
Top Medications Containing Polyethylene Glycol 6000
- Acetaminophen and Tramadol Hydrochloride 325 mg / 37.5 mg (Zydus Pharmaceuticals USA Inc.)
- Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium 875 mg / 125 mg (Aurobindo Pharma Limited)
- Donepezil Hydrochloride 10 mg (Torrent Pharmaceuticals Limited)
- Donepezil Hydrochloride 5 mg (Torrent Pharmaceuticals Limited)
- Finasteride 5 mg (Teva Pharmaceuticals USA)
- Metformin Hydrochloride 500 mg (Aurobindo Pharma)
- Metoprolol Succinate Extended-Release 50 mg (Wockhardt USA)
- Metoprolol Succinate Extended-Release 25 mg (Wockhardt USA)
- Mirtazapine 15 mg (Teva Pharmaceuticals USA)
- Mirtazapine 30 mg (Teva Pharmaceuticals USA)
- Ondansetron Hydrochloride 4 mg (Teva Pharmaceuticals USA)
- Ondansetron Hydrochloride 8 mg (Teva Pharmaceuticals USA)
- Pantoprazole Sodium Delayed Release 40 mg (Wockhardt USA)
- Paroxetine Hydrochloride 20 mg (Zydus Pharmaceuticals)
- Paroxetine Hydrochloride 10 mg (Zydus Pharmaceuticals)
- Paroxetine Hydrochloride 10 mg (Aurobindo Pharma)
- Risperidone 1 mg (Teva Pharmaceuticals USA)
- Risperidone 2 mg (Teva Pharmaceuticals USA)
- Valacyclovir Hydrochloride 500 mg (Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Valacyclovir Hydrochloride 1 gram (Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals Inc.)