FD&C Blue No. 2 Lake
Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is FD&C Blue No. 2 Lake?
FDA performs regulatory review for color additives used in foods, drugs, cosmetics, and medical devices. FD&C Blue No. 2 Aluminum Lake is a FDA-approved color commonly used to dye dosage forms such as tablets and capsules. FD&C Blue No. 2 Lake is approved for use in foods, drugs and cosmetics.
FD&C colors are the colors certified by the FDA for safe use according to specifications. The FD&C notation specifies the color is approved for use in foods, drugs and cosmetics. The FDA states that D&C Blue No. 2 Lake may be safely used as a color additive when their specifications are followed.
According to the FDA, lakes are formed by reacting straight colors (such as FD&C Blue No. 2 Aluminum) with precipitants and salts. Lakes may be used as color additives for tablet coatings due to their stability.
 Electronic Code of Federal Registers. Title 21: Food and Drugs. Part 74. Listing of color additives subject to certification. Subpart B. Drugs. Accessed online October 19, 2011. http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr;sid=c387334e82029536a53dde1171ba5481;rgn=div5;view=text;node=21%3A18.104.22.168.27;idno=21;cc=ecfr#21:22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199
 U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Color Additives: FDA's Regulatory Process and Historical Perspectives. Accessed 10/20/2011. http://www.fda.gov/ForIndustry/ColorAdditives/RegulatoryProcessHistoricalPerspectives/default.htm
Top Medications Containing FD&C Blue No. 2 Lake
- Bystolic 10 mg (Forest Pharmaceuticals, Inc.)
- Bystolic 5 mg (Forest Pharmaceuticals, Inc.)
- Bystolic 20 mg (Forest Pharmaceuticals, Inc.)
- Bystolic 2.5 mg (Forest Pharmaceuticals, Inc.)
- Ergotamine Tartrate and Caffeine 1 mg / 100 mg (West-Ward Pharmaceutical Corporation)
- Moxatag 775 mg (MiddleBrook Pharmaceuticals Inc)
- Nitrofurantoin Monohydrate Macrocrystals 100 mg (Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Paroxetine Hydrochloride 30 mg (Teva Pharmaceuticals USA)
- Paroxetine Hydrochloride 40 mg (Teva Pharmaceuticals USA)
- Sertraline Hydrochloride 50 mg (Teva Pharmaceuticals USA)
- Sertraline Hydrochloride 25 mg (Teva Pharmaceuticals USA)