D&C Yellow No. 10 Lake
Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is D&C Yellow No. 10 Lake?
FDA performs regulatory review for color additives used in foods, drugs, cosmetics, and medical devices. D&C Yellow No. 10 Lake is a FDA-approved color commonly used to dye dosage forms such as tablets and capsules. D&C Yellow No. 10 Lake is approved for use in drugs and cosmetics but it is not approved as a colorant for food, as noted by the D&C notation.
FD&C colors are the colors certified for use by the U.S. FDA in the food, drug, and cosmetic industry. D&C Yellow No. 10 Lake may be safely used as a color additive when FDA specifications are followed.
According to the FDA, lakes are formed by reacting straight dyes (such as D&C Yellow No. 10) with precipitants and salts. Aluminum is often a component. Lakes may be used as color additives for tablet coatings due to their stability.
 Electronic Code of Federal Registers. Title 21: Food and Drugs. Part 74. Listing of color additives subject to certification. Subpart B. Drugs. Accessed online October 19, 2011. http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr;sid=c387334e82029536a53dde1171ba5481;rgn=div5;view=text;node=21%3A184.108.40.206.27;idno=21;cc=ecfr#21:220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168
 U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Color Additives: FDA's Regulatory Process and Historical Perspectives. Accessed 10/20/2011. http://www.fda.gov/ForIndustry/ColorAdditives/RegulatoryProcessHistoricalPerspectives/default.htm
Top Medications Containing D&C Yellow No. 10 Lake
- Adoxa 100 mg (Doak Dermatologics Division)
- Amiodarone Hydrochloride 400 mg (Taro Pharmaceuticals U.S.A., Inc.)
- Bethanechol Chloride 25 mg (Global Pharmaceuticals)
- BusPIRone Hydrochloride 15 mg (Ethex Corporation)
- BusPIRone Hydrochloride 10 mg (Ethex Corporation)
- BusPIRone Hydrochloride 5 mg (Ethex Corporation)
- Clarithromycin 500 mg (Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Clarithromycin 250 mg (Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Dextroamphetamine Sulfate Extended Release 15 mg (Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals)
- Dextroamphetamine Sulfate Extended Release 5 mg (Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals)
- Dextroamphetamine Sulfate Extended Release 10 mg (Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals)
- Doxycycline Monohydrate 75 mg (Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Doxycycline Monohydrate 50 mg (Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Gabapentin 400 mg (Mutual Pharmaceutical Company, Inc.)
- Geocillin 382 mg (Roerig)
- Glyburide and Metformin 5 mg / 500 mg (Teva Pharmaceuticals USA)
- Isosorbide Dinitrate 20 mg (West-Ward Pharmaceutical Corporation)
- Meclizine Hydrochloride 25 mg (Watson Pharmaceuticals)
- Nitrofurantoin Monohydrate Macrocrystals 100 mg (Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Sertraline Hydrochloride 25 mg (Teva Pharmaceuticals USA)