D&C Green No. 5
Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is D&C Green No. 5?
D&C Green No. 5 is a drug and cosmetic synthetic dye. The FDA lists it as a safe additive for drugs and cosmetics as per FDA standards. D&C Green No. 5 may be safely used for coloring drugs generally in amounts consistent with current good manufacturing practice and all batches must be certified. In cosmetics, it can be used externally and in general cosmetics, including lipsticks, and cosmetics close to the eye. It is also used for coloring surgical sutures. Its use in coloring pharmaceuticals and cosmetics may only be of quantities allowable by the FDA.
 U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Cosmetics. Color Additives Permitted for Use. Accessed 8/20/2012. http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/VoluntaryCosmeticsRegistrationProgramVCRP/OnlineRegistration/ucm109084.htm
Top Medications Containing D&C Green No. 5
- Jolivette 0.35 mg (Watson Pharmaceuticals)
- Leena ethinyl estradiol 0.035 mg / norethindrone 0.5 mg (Watson Pharmaceuticals)
- Norinyl 1+35 inert (Watson Pharmaceuticals)
- Ortho Micronor 0.35 mg (Ortho-McNeil Pharmaceutical, Inc.)
- Tri-Norinyl ethinyl estradiol 0.035 mg / norethindrone 1 mg (Watson Pharmaceuticals)