Use of Hydrocodone on dogs
    salvidio is offline New Member

Default Use of Hydrocodone on dogs

My greyhound has pelvic pain near her spine. It causes her discomfort when laying down and gets up all the time when attempting to lie down. Can this pain reliever be given to dogs, this Hydrocodone? She is 60pounds and how much a dose?

ssalvidio@tampabay.rr.com

thank you

Charliez is offline Member

I have no facts but I understand dogs have 1 tenth the feelings as far as pain than adults.
    Nothing surprises me

backachedp is offline New Member

Default Hydrocodone

Quote Originally Posted by salvidio View Post
    My greyhound has pelvic pain near her spine. It causes her discomfort when laying down and gets up all the time when attempting to lie down. Can this pain reliever be given to dogs, this Hydrocodone? She is 60pounds and how much a dose?

thank you
    My dog is on Ultram for pain..she has issues with getting up when layin down and standing up. We had 3 dog's..one passed away after major surgery, but he lived 2 extra years..all the med's my vet has ever given my dog's are human drug's with the exception of a liver flavored pain med for dog's that starts with an R..can't remember the name. I have a dog on Prednisone right now and the Ultram..the other dog is on ametripitline and Valium for anxiety. When our dog had his major surgery he was put on a 75mcg Fentanyl patch the night before surgery...I don't think Hydrocodone would be so good, as does it not have asprin in it? I wish you luck with your dog..we love them so much and they can't tell us what they need....so we depend on our Vet's who arre very special people!

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Hydrocodone doesn't have aspirin in it. It's tylenol or known as apap. Hydrocodone can also be used for animals just like people. Just check with the dr.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

actually acetaminipnine(tylenol) is toxic to dogs more so than in humans. My dog is also 60lb he was in a dog fight that puntured his leg we couldnt get to the vet until the next. I gave him tylenol then remembered it was toxic and I should have gave baby asprin instead so I was freaking when we got to the vet she said since I only gave him 250mg it shouldnt hurt but confirmed that tylenol is toxic to dogs and they can die from taking it for extended periods or at to high a dose I think 25mg per pound is the limit
    Last edited by learning_to_be_free; 12-21-2008 at 04:34 PM.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

I agree and was too general with my post. But even at 25mg per pound a 50lb dog would need over 1250mg of apap for it to be detrimental. Surely no one would give their dog two lorcets for pain. I guess I was referring to a little piece and as an emergency. Lots of difference in a 50lb dog and a 200lb person. But you are right about apap in high doses for sure. Thanks.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

baggyjoseph is offline New Member

Default dogs & hydrocodone/accedamenaphin is O.K.

if you have a dog with a seriously painful wound giving the animal hydrocodone it is fine to use tylonal for short term pain relife. if you have 5mg hydrocodone you can give the animal a dose of the medicine every 6 hours if the dog is heavier than 20 pounds. if you dog is smaller than 20 pounds there is a very good chance that you are just going to make the animal sick. if your dog is for instance 120 pounds still only give it 5mgs of hydrocodone. this dosage is plenty for any size of dog larger than 20 pounds. if you have 10mg hydrocodone break them in half and give them a half tablet every 6 hours but be very careful not to give the dog this medicine for a long period of time. remember this is only for emergencys so even giving you pet human medicine still get your animal to the vet or nearest animal hospital and before the vet medicates the animal be sure to let them know what you gave them and when so there is no chance of accadental overdose. Jonathen Joseph from the Shawville animal hospital of Shawville Pa.

carolyn17603 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by salvidio View Post

thank you
    Do not give any animal any human drugs. But there are meds we take that they take to such as amoxicillin but there not exactly the same they either add or take away other ingredients

Titty Puff is offline Junior Member

NO! You CANNOT use Hydrocodone on Dogs OR ANY medications with Tylenol! IT WILL KILL!

You can use Tramadol/Ultram, or Oxycodone. Oxycodone must be a relatively low dose, maybe up to 5mg but that's pushing it, with weight, body type, and gender put into consideration with careful monitoring.

smullens is offline New Member

Default Correct info concerning hydrocodone for dogs

[/B]*****There is a lot of incorrect information on this topic. Number one, Hydrocodone is a drug that has to be mixed with another drug to be distributed. Therefore it can contain numerous different ingredients depending on what it was mixed with at the pharmacy. It can be mixed with aspirin and acetaminophen, which is tylenol. You can find this basic information by doing an internet search. There is no such thing as hydrocodone that always contains aspirin or tylenol. As far as giving it to dogs, it is safe depending on what the hydrocodone is combined with at the pharmacy. It is my understanding even a small dose of tylenol can kill a dog, but baby aspirin is ok. The only correct response to the question of giving any human meds to an animal is to CALL A VET. There are many variables when giving medicine and your animal's heath history will affect the correct treatment, which should ONLY be decided by a qualified Vet!!! You wouldn't try to give your child animal medication by guessing what would work, or I should say I hope you wouldn't as I know there are some people who do all kinds of stupid and dangerous things.
    [/B]
    Last edited by smullens; 05-12-2012 at 01:00 AM.

bigcoopsmom is offline New Member

Actually, 80% of canine medicine is the same as in humans. The amoxi is the same for both. In fact, smaller canines are given the same pink amoxi drops as babies are given. Hydrocodone with tylenol can be safely administered at the appropriate dosage for short term treatment of pain in dogs. Tylenol with codeine is also safe. My 110lb dog is currently taking tylenol 4 with codeine every 6-8 hours for pain. Tylenol 4 has 300mg tylenol and 60 mg codeine. He has a painful tumor in his carpas (ankle) due to bone cancer and at his age, the only treatment is pain control until its time for him to go. Never give your pets anything without first doing your research. And as a side note, tylenol is extremely toxic in cats!