siezures
    grannyfranny is offline New Member

Unhappy siezures

Please help last nite about 3:30 am my dog had a full blown siezure i work in the medical field and have delt with people haveing siezures many times but with my dog i felt totaly helpless please give me some feedback on this

fairygodmother is offline New Member

Default seizures

You may not pick up this reply as your original concern was posted in May but here goes......

Most vets will not treat epilepsy with anything if a seizure has occurred as a "one off". If the seizures persist and come fairly frequently, then the course of treatment is usually phenobarbitone which is a barbiturate. Most dosages will be trial and error in a way, to see which doses the dog can cope with in order to keep seizures at bay.
    Blood tests will be necessary at various intervals to assess phenobarb levels.

Certain breeds can be susceptible to epilepsy (you don't mention what breed you have) and also age may play a part (younger dogs generally suffer more but thats not definite)
    If your dog is female, sometimes neutering can help but not with males unfortunately.
    Of course there can also be sinister reasons for epilepsy other than being "just one of those things", dogs can suffer from brain tumours which trigger seizures, these can only be diagnosed with MRI but dont panic as these are rare.

If your dog suffers from fits, the most important thing is not to panic, easier said than done i know.
    The dog will be unable to control itself and must be given plenty of space so as not to harm itself.
    Somewhere on the ground (not on a bed where the dog may fall) somewhere dimly lit and quiet to reduce any stimuli while the brain is in overdrive.

Dogs may continue to fit even on medication and so vets usually prescribe diazepam (valium) tubes that are inserted rectally, that are fast acting to calm the dog down.
    Do not take the dog to the vet while it is fitting, keep calm, note the time that the fit started and when it finishes and inform the vet of this when you contact them. If the dog continues to fit in clusters then you may have no choice but to take the dog to the vet (status epilepticus). The vet will need to sedate the dog to "switch off" brain activity and allow the brain to recover.

Hope this helps, sorry for droning on but its a complicated subject and i have not covered everything here i can assure you!!

Diana007 is offline New Member

Default so sorry 2 see this

Quote Originally Posted by grannyfranny View Post
    Please help last nite about 3:30 am my dog had a full blown siezure i work in the medical field and have delt with people haveing siezures many times but with my dog i felt totaly helpless please give me some feedback on this
    like u i 2 am in medical field
    only thing i can say cuase of experiance with my passed lab
    and my now pug both have been throu dr and tested
    have siezers and had been and are on meds to control
    if this was 1st and only siezer record all and any and how long siez happens
    and after 5th one thats 1 a day or so alot closer then like 1 a month u know
    dr will run blood test and if need be ur baby will have to take med for the rest of thier life
    but happy life just scares us but be thier after 12yrs of 1 st baby havin then died
    and now my grandpuggy u never get over whatin the best for them