I have made a horrible mistake
    beverly7216 is offline New Member

Default I have made a horrible mistake

Dear Veternarian- 08/22/2009

I have made a drastically horrible mistake. I am permamently handicapped and I do take a lot of medication. I was in my sack in the bed loking for my morphine.It is a 30 mg. purple tablet. I dropped one and I can not find it anywhere so far. My mother has been the best to try and help me find it. We have an overweight cocker spaniel and I believe he could just about track down anything with his nose but it would be gulped in a flash. I cannot let him in here until it is found. I also have a small pomerainian but his ear hurts so bad right now all he wants is to be with me on the bed scratching his belly. What I am so concerned about if a dog or child came in here and found it , it could kill them. Am I correct? Please let me know as soon as you can. Thank you. Beverly7216

BeavisMom62 is offline Member

Is there anyway that you or someone else could do a major vacuum cleaning in there? OF course, even if you did suck it up, you probably wouldn't know it, so you would still be worried about it. But its a thought.

I have four dogs in my house and unfortunately we have dropped pills on the floor and have been lucky so far that none of them have picked it up. I think that even if they do, they generally don't like the taste and won't eat it. But that is a big chance to take.

I wish I had better advice for you. Good luck.

beverly7216 is offline New Member

Default Thank you,for caring.

Thank you. If one of these dogs got to it I would never get over it. I wear a graphite brace on each leg. Mom is hepling me look for it.

innaquandry is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by beverly7216 View Post
    Dear Veternarian- 08/22/2009

I have made a drastically horrible mistake. I am permamently handicapped and I do take a lot of medication. I was in my sack in the bed loking for my morphine.It is a 30 mg. purple tablet. I dropped one and I can not find it anywhere so far. My mother has been the best to try and help me find it. We have an overweight cocker spaniel and I believe he could just about track down anything with his nose but it would be gulped in a flash. I cannot let him in here until it is found. I also have a small pomerainian but his ear hurts so bad right now all he wants is to be with me on the bed scratching his belly. What I am so concerned about if a dog or child came in here and found it , it could kill them. Am I correct? Please let me know as soon as you can. Thank you. Beverly7216
    If you have a vacuum with a wand take a nylon stocking and place it over the end of the wand ..hold it in place as you vacuum so it will not suck up the nylon along with anything else it sucks up ..then turn vacuum off and check to see if you have the pills in your nylon. this little trick works well for picking up any small item you may have dropped on floor. Hope it works for you. Good Luck

Buddy1971 is offline New Member

I to am on morphine for two c-1-c-2 vertabre fussions and I also have a dog and have worried about that same thing.My dog is 55lbs & I know by your description of the pill that it is a 30mg substained release morphine.As you said your dog is very heavy,which is a positive. Time release morphine tablets are very hard and unless the dog is able to chew up the pill which I know would be pretty hard because they are very small and dogs don't have the teeth to hold something that small I wouldn't think. I would call a medical doctor & ask him/her what would happen worse case senario the dog was able to chew up the pill,or just swallows it. I think a heavy dog would be able to handle the effects. To be extra safe you could ask your doctor or mabey your vet for some some suboxone or narcan. The suboxone would prevent the morphine from working at all and narcan would be used as a last resort rescue medication. Hope this helps.

baggyjoseph is offline New Member

Default doggie and the painpill

if something would happen to where your dog got it and the pill started working and got to the strong point you mostlikly have nothing to worry about due to the fact that when a human overdoses the body automaticly starts to vomit to get rid of the exess medicine and a dogs body actually works alot faster than a human and will vomit till its stomach is completly empty. thats why you very seldom here of a dog or cat dying of an overdose.when someone knows that their pet got to a very strong pill and threw up and was a little sick but recovered it is due to the fact that when they threw up they pushed out almost all the medicine.a domestic animals body starts to vomit at the first sign of a problem where a human body will absorb alot more before it protects itself.. im not saying its alright to not worry because an animal will get very sick from it but 99% of the time they will be just fine.. yours truley Jonathen Joseph from the shawville animal hospital in Shawville Pa.

BeavisMom62 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by innaquandry View Post
    If you have a vacuum with a wand take a nylon stocking and place it over the end of the wand ..hold it in place as you vacuum so it will not suck up the nylon along with anything else it sucks up ..then turn vacuum off and check to see if you have the pills in your nylon. this little trick works well for picking up any small item you may have dropped on floor. Hope it works for you. Good Luck
    Now THERE'S a good idea!