dandruff
    jillg is offline Member

Question dandruff

Hello, my name is Jill. I have 2 black labs . They both just started to show dandruff. One of the labs lives at my parents and one with me. We all live on a lake in MA and the season is starting to change to fall. I have bathed them yesterday ,(as I do every 2-3 weeks) and they still have the flakes. I am concerned it may be oily dandruff, which is not good I don't think. (I am a hairdresser and in human world oily dandruff can be contaigeous.)What do you purpose would be the best course of action to remedy this problem? Also is it bad for them?

They have been on the same food for about 2 years,(Science Diet Large Breed).

Cats Meow is offline Diamond Member

Googleing your problem, I found that giving your dog fish oil seems to help, and they suggest bathing twice a week using a pet dandruff shampoo that contains sulfur or salicylic acid.
    I didn't know dandruff is contagious.
    http://marylandpet.com/pet-scoops-an...dandruff.shtml

scarletlover is offline New Member

Default dandruff

Hello,
    My name is Susan and I have been a vet tech for many years. I work in both ER's and ICU's and do alternative holistic therapies as well. It could be a good idea to add some additional omega 3's and 6'g to their diet, (ie fish oils). Nordic naturals is a wonderful product and I found it helped a tremendous amount with my dogs and cats. Just a suggestion

scarletlover is offline New Member

Default dandruff

Also another note, bathing too often can also be part of the problem. Dogs and cats don't require the same bathing as we do and in fact it can deplete their skin of the natural oils that help keep their skin and coat shiny and beautiful.
    If you are going to bathe, try using something more soothing to the skin like oatmeal or green tea. That way you are supporting healing and soothing versus drying the skin and coat out further.
    Susan