cough medicine for dogs?
    BeavisMom62 is offline Member

Smile cough medicine for dogs?

My 16 year old terrier mix, Beavis, has had a cough for over a year. My vet says it is from his tonsils and recommends antibiotics and prednisone as needed. It doesn't help alot but does help some. He has had a chest x-ray and only has a small murmur, which isn't causing the cough. Also had his teeth cleaned within the past year. His cough is worse in the morning and with exertion ie barking. Being 16, he really doesn't exert himself much. But two questions: One, what else could his cough be from? Should I be worried? Also, I know there is a human cough medicine that would be safe for him, but I can't remember which one. Anyone know what I could give him to ease his coughing? Thanks in advance.

merciles is offline New Member

Doubtful you're checking this thread after 3 months but on the off chance..

Ask if both lateral and PA views were made during x-ray.

Enlarged heart is a common cause of cough in older dogs. It is not easily seen in a PA view but rather lateral view.

Best wishes for your dog!

Thanks, Merciles. I don't know for sure if both PA and lat were done. I can only assume that they were because of the cough, his age and his pre-existing heart murmur.

Recently, the vet recommended perhaps a low dose of a heart medicine since antibiotics and steroids aren't helping a lot. I know he recommended a particular heart med for dogs and I know it was one that is used in humans. Any ideas what it might have been? I can't afford to go back to the vet for a while, as much as I want to. Hubby has been unemployed for over a year now, so being an LPN for many years, I'm trying to use my own knowledge to care for my dogs on my own if I can.

amazon13 is offline New Member

Talking Your Dog Coughing!

I have two Pomeranian's and one of them have an occasional cough, it use to be worse. Ask your Vet about N-acetylcysteine (NAC)and compounding RX. NAC helps to relieve phlegm in the throat and clear congestion in the lungs, I know because I've been using this for years and it has helped me and my Poms tremendously!

Also the Cough Syrup that you are trying to think of could be Robitussin, Trade name of an expectorant that loosens phlegm and makes it easier to cough up. The main ingredient in this is product is Guaifenesin, which you can find in the drug store under the name of Mucinex.

One other thing I am a faithful user of Manuka Honey, it comes from Australia and New Zealand where the Manuka trees grow. It has been recognized by the FDA as having medicinal qualities for all kinds of medical problems. I keep a stock of it on hand and have been using it for years with excellent results for different ailments that I've had over the years.

You might want to look into some of the things that I've mention and if you have any questions about anything just post here and I will respond. I now see a naturopathic doctor who uses this and western medicine in treatment of her patients, the best doctor I've ever had!

lindaharlow19 is offline New Member

I also have a Pom (10yrs.old)who has been 'coughing' for 6 mo. Apparently this is an inherited trait, and common w/ Poms. She has been on TRIAMCINOLONE tabs. and they are not making much of a difference. Collapsed treachia(sp?)the Vet says. Exertion does not make it worse or better. She can wake up and cough/gagging for about a minute/suddenly an 'attack cough' comes out of nowhere, then quiet for hours. This is a 24/7 ordeal! Any ideas will be appreciated.

Well, the cough keeps getting worse and worse. Took Xmas money to take my poor little friend back to the vet, but didn't get to see my usual vet. This vet does the same thing, CXR, lab and all comes out normal. Heart and lungs are fine, no collapsed trachea. Also had a runny eye and some pain in his low back/legs. $400 later and a few RX's nothing has changed. THIS vet doesn't agree with the first vet re heart medicine and says he doesn't hear a murmur! My dog has had a murmur for years but this vet doesn't hear it and since he doesn't, won't RX heart meds. He put him on Baytril for cough (no help) and also did rec'd Robitussin (helps a little). Gave him a RX for Ultram, which doesn't help the pain and a RX eye drop (steroid/antibiotic) which didn't help the runny eye! I am at my wit's end. This new vet bought the practice from my old vet and is apparently more concerned with making money than helping animals. The old vet would give me freebies and discounts but not the new one. So, now $400 later and my dog is no better than he was before! If I had the money, I would take him to a university vet or something, but I can't afford it. Its breaking my heart. My poor little dog is 17 years old and if I could find the proper care, he probably could live a few more years. Now I don't know what to do! How can they find nothing!?