Anyone have any good Low Protein Recipes for Dogs with a Portal Hepatic Liver Shunt?
    HarrySmooth is offline Advanced Member

Default Anyone have any good Low Protein Recipes for Dogs with a Portal Hepatic Liver Shunt?

My little Min Schnauzer was diagnosed with a Hepatic Liver Shunt, and had surgery to correct this using a Ameroid Constrictor Ring placed on the Shunt. This has been over 3 months ago, and his Profiles are just about back to normal again. My Vet says I still need to keep him on a Low Protein Diet, but the ones Ive found on the web and have been feeding him as of late, he just doesnt like, and doesnt eat them that well.
    I have him on Denamaran (Milk Thistle) and Lactolose 3x/daily...
    If anyone has any Low Protein Recipes that you have been successful with, I sure would like to hear from you!
    or any advice/Suggestions for "Liver Dogs"
    Thanks!
    Harry

Skyler1 is offline Junior Member

Cook a big pot of white rice then add a cup or two of corn then add a few table spoons of bacon fat just to give this rice/corn mixture flavor and there u go your dog will love it it's mostly carbs but nutrious u can add carrots and peas too.
    It is what it is!

Mari

HarrySmooth is offline Advanced Member

Thanks Skyler! I'll have to try that one! the one & only recipe I have is kinda similar to it...using Ground Turkey, Mixed Veggies, Rice, etc....but he doesnt care for it! Bacon fat may be the key! I mean, who doesnt like Bacon? lol
    Thanks!