Withdrawls BAD!
    livingagain is offline New Member

Default Withdrawls BAD!

I have been on suboxone for almost two and a half years and up to 24 mg a day. For the first time since I started the program (addited to pain killers), I'm out! I go to doctor on tuesday but any advise on how to get thru the next two days? Been out since last wednesday and becoming pretty sickly! I am active with a strong supportative family but due toa family illness, I couldn't make my appointment last week and now I'm screwed! Thought I'd be ok but not. Any advise from someone whose been in my shoes?? I am brand new to this forum.

Jay44 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by livingagain View Post
    I have been on suboxone for almost two and a half years and up to 24 mg a day. For the first time since I started the program (addited to pain killers), I'm out! I go to doctor on tuesday but any advise on how to get thru the next two days? Been out since last wednesday and becoming pretty sickly! I am active with a strong supportative family but due toa family illness, I couldn't make my appointment last week and now I'm screwed! Thought I'd be ok but not. Any advise from someone whose been in my shoes?? I am brand new to this forum.
    Welcome to the forum. It's usually slow on the wknds. I can't give you any advice on what to do the next two days, but I can tell you that you are taking way too much suboxone. Most of the senior forum members would advise, that know one needs more than 4mgs a day of subs. If you search the forum there is a taper program, which has helped thousands of addicts get off suboxone. It is commonly recommended to taper 25% every 4-5 days.

I was prescribed 12mgs a day, but thanks to the forum I started out at 4mgs abt 6wks ago. I have been tapering every week & decided to taper down 10% per week once I hit 1mg. It's been a fairly smooth process. Also, most on here would recommend to be on & off subs in approximately 3 months. Good luck.

Bluedog74 is offline New Member

Default suboxone taper

I personally would ignore the 25% every 5 day taper theory only with this drug. Myself and many friends who use to use H and Dilaudid together were among the first 1500 people in the United States on Suboxone. Back then they did things very different then they do now as far as reduction and dosing... Suboxone is a tricky opiate. Not because of the naloxone, but because Buprenorphine is a partial agonist and a antagonist itself.

I wanted off of the stuff because back then it was around $500 for 90 8mg pills. Anyway, myself and many others found you could drop from 24mg a day to 20 or even 16 without symptoms. This is documented because we were part of a medical experiment.
    I would recommend a faster taper then 25% every 5 days. Any other opiate, I would recommend 15% per week reducuction... But Suboxone is not your typical opiate and there is wiggle room with dose reduction. So try taking 8mg every 12 hours and if you get sick, which I doubt, then tell your doctor you want off and follow his direction.

Just an opinion based on mine and others experiences... Either way, good luck to you and slow and low is the best way to taper off any medication.
    Last edited by Bluedog74; 02-07-2012 at 09:25 AM.

Suboxowned is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog74 View Post
    I personally would ignore the 25% every 5 day taper theory only with this drug. Myself and many friends who use to use H and Dilaudid together were among the first 1500 people in the United States on Suboxone. Back then they did things very different then they do now as far as reduction and dosing... Suboxone is a tricky opiate. Not because of the naloxone, but because Buprenorphine is a partial agonist and a antagonist itself.

I wanted off of the stuff because back then it was around $500 for 90 8mg pills. Anyway, myself and many others found you could drop from 24mg a day to 20 or even 16 without symptoms. This is documented because we were part of a medical experiment.
    I would recommend a faster taper then 25% every 5 days. Any other opiate, I would recommend 15% per week reducuction... But Suboxone is not your typical opiate and there is wiggle room with dose reduction. So try taking 8mg every 12 hours and if you get sick, which I doubt, then tell your doctor you want off and follow his direction.

Just an opinion based on mine and others experiences... Either way, good luck to you and slow and low is the best way to taper off any medication.
    It's still quite expensive. For 30 8mgs, it runs about $300.00 give or take and depending on which pharmacy you choose. Walgreens in Joliet, Illinois charges $14 an 8mg pill but Walgreens in Morris, Illinois (which is approx. 20 miles west) only charges $8 an 8mg pill. Scam.
    How long were you on Suboxone? How did YOU get off of this devil drug? I have dropped from 12mgs to 3mgs in 2 weeks. Honestly, I did not feel any discomfort (just weird things like bad dreams, hot flashes and headaches. Oh yea, and headaches.) Now that I'm on 3mg, when I wake up, I have to dose asap cuz I'm feeling it. This is where the work begins.