Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Anonymous
Want off Suboxone.. Worth trying Subutex?
    jrburnit is offline New Member

Default Want off Suboxone.. Worth trying Subutex?

Hi all, I am your typical addict. I have controlled myself quite a bit since I started attending meetings and went to rehab 1 year ago.. but I am still struggling and have been on Suboxone for quite some time. I started with the weekend oxy routine, heck I remember when 15mg would rock me, then it became 30mg, then it became do something everyday before work... routine for about 2 years before I sought treatment. A doctor locally prescribed me 16mg Suboxone a day, 4mg 4x a day, throughout the day.. I realized before the first week was even over how much better I felt and that honestly I really only needed the initial 4mg in the morning and then 4mg in the afternoon, otherwise I'd just fall asleep from being tired from a long day... normal for me, but I enjoyed the extra "boost" going into the evening. I gained a lot of weight within the first few weeks, weeks became months, my doctor finally knocked me down to 8mg a day, then I relapsed and was honest with him and he re-upped me. After about 10 months on subs I was about 30lbs heavier than I used to be, financially fixed (better then I was with buying oxy's every day).... I decided lets try rehab.

I went away to a detox for 7 days, they asked what my drug of choice was, I said Suboxone, they didn't take me serious and I told them how it lead to be. They "treated" me for 6-7 nights, I literally slept 20 hours a day for about 5-6 days, whatever they gave me I just slept.. until the last night there I realized the "cocktail" drink they gave me didn't have whatever they had previously been putting in it. The w/d's started the first morning I left detox to join my inpatient rehab, I was so exhausted and napped every chance I could, which was tough to do because the center kept their patients as busy as possible. After about 4-5 days of super tiredness and some stomach pain/diahreah I actually felt great, then I caught a cold and it turned into a virus or something, I believed it was bronchitis or similar because I am a cigarette smoker and I get it quite often. For the last 4-5 weeks of treatment I slept great, woke up early, fell asleep early, was busy throughout the whole day, yet just had no energy, could not excercise for my life, and had very little interest in just about anything.. until about a week before I knew I was going home. So 7 days of detox and 35 days of rehab I was clean for 42 days and went home feeling pretty great, saw my doctor about my cough/cold and he gave me an antibiotic, I was feeling great again. Yet a few weeks later, relapsed, got scared, and got back on suboxone, only this time I could only afford about 4mg a day, which actually worked out to be just enough for me to go to work, come home, eat, play video games, and repeat.

I am posting now because I am sick of this burden, having to take these things, I am the fattest I have ever been in my life weighing 205lbs, 5'10", when I was used to being 175, with a beer belly that was about it. I drink a lot of fluids nowadays and I eat 2-3 decent sized meals a day. ANYWAY, I have been given the chance to switch to Subutex, my goal is to hopefully replace the Suboxones with the tex for a couple days and see how I feel, see if I can QUIT both these things all together....

The first day I took 16mg of Subutex under the tongue, I felt pretty normal maybe a bit more tired, definetely felt a tad noddy at times while sitting around doing nothing. After day 2 of 16mg Subutex and no Suboxone I woke up very tired, felt very noddy, went to work, eventually woke up but was still pretty tired.. didn't seem to have the same energy the ones gave me, nor the crazy appetite... good I guess? I also am not smoking as many cigarettes, I do not know what tomorrow will feel like, but I guess I will post again, I would just like to know if anyone has any suggestions, I would really like to be 100% clean, getting high is not my goal in life anymore, I know I suffer from sorts of anxiety and depression due to events in life I cannot control, but I am also very happy nowadays and grateful of everything I have.

NoFear23 is offline Junior Member

subutex is the same exact thing as suboxone. the only difference is there is naloxene in suboxone and it is not in subutex. the naloxene is only a opiate blocker and has nothing to do with withdrawals. the only reason ppl get on subutex over suboxone is because some ppl are allergic to the naloxene and cant have it in there system. you need to follow roberts taper plan which is posted here somewhere.. your taking way to much suboxone right now when you only probably need about 2-4 mgs to start with and then taper down from there. once youve tapered down to .25 mgs a day or less and skipping days then you jump off it. if you jump off at to high of a dose your going to be withdrawing for a long time. but if you follow roberts taper plan you will experience very minimal withdrawals and it will be for a much shorter period of time. dont rush this. if you want off them for good you have to do it the right way. theres no rushing it. someone will post roberts link soon. hang in there. and if you get it done the right way this will be the last time you have to do it

Strong Desire is offline Advanced Member

Welcome to the forum!

Here is the link to the Suboxone/Subutex Induction and Taper Plan that we use on this forum.....or at least most of us. Read it over completely and pay careful attention to the Taper section. If you have further questions I would be glad to help you further. Let me know please.

Suboxone/Subutex Induction and Taper Plan
    http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html

Again welcome to you and I hope this helps!

Hugs,
    Karen

Anonymous Guest

nofear is correct. suboxone and subutex have exactly the same main thing in them, buprenorphine.... suboxone has naloxone added to stop people like me (ex iv user) hitting it up, or snorting it. otherwise there is NO DIFFERENCE.

you need to taper gradually as per the taper plan. you are on a high dose. way too high. ir you are feeling 'noddy' thats a sure fire example of being on too much. you could taper to 12mg immediately and not even notice. i kid you not....
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-19-2012 at 04:42 PM.
    MP5 likes this.

jrburnit is offline New Member

Wow that guide looks great, thank you very much! I will have the perfect opportunity to start a similar plan beginning next week. I honestly felt like ???? with the Subutex and seemed to have needed to up my dosage to 8mg-16mg a day.. honestly not sure why but as they are the same damn chemical as Suboxone I am going to stay with the 4mg Suboxone since for whatever reason less dosage has been needed to "maintain" myself. I feel fine with just 4mg of suboxone a day, have for quite some time, just seems easier to stick with what has "worked" and start this plan.

Just one question, is it safe to maintain active such as working out, swimming, exercise bike, sauna? Will sweating out the nastiness before I start tapering and during the taper help.. or is it better to just do what I have to do and have my body rest during the process? Thanks again.

Strong Desire is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by jrburnit View Post
    Wow that guide looks great, thank you very much! I will have the perfect opportunity to start a similar plan beginning next week. I honestly felt like ???? with the Subutex and seemed to have needed to up my dosage to 8mg-16mg a day.. honestly not sure why but as they are the same damn chemical as Suboxone I am going to stay with the 4mg Suboxone since for whatever reason less dosage has been needed to "maintain" myself. I feel fine with just 4mg of suboxone a day, have for quite some time, just seems easier to stick with what has "worked" and start this plan.

Just one question, is it safe to maintain active such as working out, swimming, exercise bike, sauna? Will sweating out the nastiness before I start tapering and during the taper help.. or is it better to just do what I have to do and have my body rest during the process? Thanks again.
    With subs, the lower the dose, the better you are going to feel. So get on the plan and reduce your dose. You'll begin to feel better in no time I'm sure.

To answer your question, YES you should be staying as busy as possible at ALL times. You should have no problems working out. In fact the one best medicine for detoxing is to get as much exercise as possible based on your physical condition. And if you swim, use the exercise bike, and go in the sauna to sweat, that will make all the difference. So good for you to ask that question! If you take the time to read around the forum you will see that the exercise part is what most people recommend while detoxing. It just makes sense to get and stay moving as much as possible!

And get to reducing that dose like Cheeky says. She has been here for quite some time and was very successful with her sub taper. She did it slow for her, and I did it faster for me. You have to find the way that works best for YOU as we are ALL different in the way symptoms affect us. You have to find YOUR own way around the taper. But first you MUST get that dose down to a respectful level so you can begin to feel better. You read the link so you should know how it goes. There have been soooo many successful people here that used it and are now clean. I did too. Are you going to be next???

Big Hugs,
    Karen