Using suboxone to ease my withdrawal pains... good idea or bad?!?
    javlife is offline Member

Default Using suboxone to ease my withdrawal pains... good idea or bad?!?

Hello all. I am hoping to get some advice/input. A year ago I kicked a something like 150-200mg a day oxycodone addiction using suboxone. I was on the subs for a few months and getting off of it was pure hell. I spent the last month on subs tapering down to less than 1mg every other day and was expecting some mild w/d. Boy was I wrong, it turned out to be a week or two of awful physical symptoms and months of psychological mind games.

Anyway, I swore up and down I would never use again, I was done for good, yadda yadda yadda, so on so forth. Sure enough I started using again 3 or 4 months ago. I sorta stumbled upon a hydromorphone connection and said "I'll do it just this one time". Sure... we've all heard that before! So now I've been doing about 18-24mg's of hydromorphone intranasally (snorting) a day. For those of you who don't know hydromorphone is about 3 to 4 times more powerful than oxycodone/hydrocodone. Well, it's time to bite the bullet and get off the stuff and clean up again. Granted, this time I am addicted to a lower dose for a shorter time period, but none the less the withdrawal is proving to be pretty bad.

I got about 42 hours in to detoxing and I couldn't stand it anymore. I did the last 4mg's of hydromorphone I had saved in case I couldn't hack the w/d's, called a suboxone doctor, dropped the $250 dollars for a script and hit the pharmacy. Of course he prescribed me two 8mg strips a day and gave me enough for a week (14 strips). I know from previous experience that this is WAY to much suboxone to take, especially at the comparatively low dose of HM I am addicted to. Suboxone doctors are crazy with the dosing... don't get me started!

So... here is my question. I went 42 hours into detox, then did 4mg's of hydromorphone. Then I waited 24 hours before I took a fourth of a strip of suboxone (2mg). That was about 2 hours ago. I didn't feel all that great today but it wasn't as bad as the first days. I of course feel just fine right now and I imagine that it will take me well into tomorrow before I start to feel ?????? again. I have Sunday and Monday off of work and plan to go as long as I can before taking anymore suboxone, next time I will probably take an eighth of a strip (1mg). Do you think that this will help ease my withdrawals and let me off gently if I only use suboxone a couple more times? Or, will using suboxone even just a couple times at a low dose make me addicted to that and I am in for another month or two of sub w/d?

Any input or previous experience with using just a little suboxone to ease withdrawal pains would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

NoFear23 is offline Junior Member

if you think you can mentally handle it then only take suboxone for week and a half. stay on 2mg for a couple days. then drop to 1 mg and then drop to .50 and then kick it. youll still withdraw but nothing serious. the time that suboxone withdrawals last awhile is when you take them for an exteneded period of time. if your only on them for a 10 days then your hydromorphone will be out of your system and then it will just be adjusting off the suboxone which will still not be good but a lot better then what you most likely went through last time you detoxed.. its important to taper down each couple days so that your body is never used to a set dose of the suboxone since your doing a quick taper. once youve reached .50 jump an youll be ight physically. but you will still be mentally addicted which is why people normally stay on suboxone for a longer period of time because there not mentally ready to be off opiates.

Hi NoFear23, thanks for the input. I think i can mentally handle it. Not my first rodeo if you know what I mean. I'm trying to treat this as a relapse, put it behind me and pick up where I left off with sobriety! Have you (or anybody else reading this) tried this yourself before? If so did you find the w/d physical symptoms bearable enough to go to work through? I'm really trying to get clean without having to miss work this time. I know there will be mental issues to deal with but I work with the public and i can't show up looking like a sweaty strung out mess! On the other hand, I also NEVER want to have to deal with suboxone withdrawal again... If it comes down to it I will go back on ANYTHING else and detox from that if missing work becomes inevitable! Sub withdrawal is the absolute worst... lol, they sure don't mention that in the pamphlet. How long does somebody have to take suboxone before suboxone becomes the drug he/she has to w/d from???

im not here to tell you you wont withdraw. but if you follow the plan i told you the withdrawals will not be that bad and youll be able to work. nothing compared to a long opate addiction withdrawal jumping cold turkey or a long suboxone use withdrawal. youll be ight.
    Last edited by NoFear23; 07-06-2012 at 11:12 PM.

WOW... I think 2mg might have been way too much for me. I was high as a kite all night. I got maybe 3 or 4 hours of that half sleep half itchy dope nod last night. Not to mention I am still pretty wasted and I have to go to work soon. Ugghhh... I should have started at a lower dosage, I under estimated how powerful bupe can be. Thank god I didn't take the suggested two full 8mg strips the dr wants me too. I'm definitely going to wait till I hit withdrawal symptoms again for at least few hours and start over again at a much lower dosage. Alright... I'm off to work googly eyed and itchy, lol.
    Last edited by javlife; 07-07-2012 at 08:31 AM.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Javlife: You need to read the suboxone protocol. You can't just take subs for a few days willy nilly and get clean. You've had a bad experience with subs before because you didn't follow the protocol: Go to
    http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html and read Robert's sub taper protocol. Subs have a long half life and it takes awhile to feel the w/d from them. Not sure what the half life is from hydromorphone. What you are suggesting that you do is to wait until you are in w/d before you take anymore subs. READ the protocol before you take anymore sub. Others know the protocol better than I do, but if you want to minimize your w/d time you need to read that protocol. Take a look at some of the sub tapers here. I wish you luck. Do not take anymore hydromorphone, while taking sub.

Peace,

Iloerose

Hey, thanks for the link... I've heard a ton about this taper program but never actually knew where to find it. Hydromorphone (dilaudid) has one of the shortest half lives out there as far as opiates are concerned, 2-3 hours. I have not, nor do I plan to take anymore of it. As I said before, I took 2mg of sub 24hours after my last dose of 4mg hydromorphone. I had gone almost 2 days without any hydromorphone previous to that and had also tapered down to about 8 - 12 mg's of HM for the couple of previous weeks. All in all I was only abusing the stuff for about 4 months and maxed out around 24mg's daily. Needless to say it was plenty long enough to put me back in a bad place in life. As I said before, not my first rodeo, been abusing oxy/hydro/whatever for years. After the last go round with detox it was the first time in my life I've tried to get clean on purpose and was doing good for about 8 months, completely clean, no subs, no pills, no weed. I admit it, I made a mistake, def sucks, not gonna sit around and cry about it. I need to put it behind me, get clean (again!), and try to live life sober.

So, It's been over 24 hours now since I took that 2 mg's of suboxone, it seemed like wayyyyy too much. I am going to try the Robert method. He helped me through withdrawal last time and it was a BIG help. I really wish I had read his taper method last time but by the time I found this site I was already a few days into w/d and had no subs left. Lol... It was a pretty awful couple weeks, but I survived.

I am going to induct myself using the .5mg at a time method from the link you sent. But, shouldn't I wait until I feel the w/d's again to try this??? How will I know if it's working or if I'm just piling onto the 2mg's I already took??? As of now I still feel pretty good, maybe a bit of a headache. Any input on this would be appreciated.

Robert... you were a big help last time and I can't thank you enough for that. Is there a chance you might help a guy out for a second time with some more friendly advice?

(p.s. - I know I type a lot, but it seems to help!)

Also, I gotta add, I am super curious about how long I can go without more. Just sitting here thinking... Ive gone 4 1/2 days with only 4mg hydromorphone and 2mg sub and gone pretty far into w/d a few times. Maybe the worst is over with and I should just stick it out at this point? Does it hurt anything to wait and see what happens?

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Since you have read the protocol, I wouldn't think that there's any harm in waiting. In fact, you need to look at the COWS worksheet and you should score at least at 26 (min) before you induct on subs and then at the lowest level possible. So, print off a COWS. I'd wait and see what happens. Maybe the worst is over. Let us know how you're feeling today.

Peace,

Iloerose

the way i posted will work. if you want off the subs quickly with minimal withdrawals. ive seen many people do it that way.. the knock on doing it that way though is that you are not mentally ready to get off the subs and most people who do it that way one way or another fall back on there DOC. i did it the longer way an waited until i was use to living a non high life before i got off subs. the withdrawals lasted longer. today im day 20 without subs and feeling better everyday. if i would have done it the other way my withdrawals would have ended a lot quicker but i'd also be like most of my friends in the fact there all still using because they took the shorter route to be drug free and in the long run all got back on the drugs eventually. its up to you. the way the people above me posted is a good way and a proven way to stay clean but if you think your mentally strong enough to quit all drugs now you can do it the way i posted. all about where your at mentally
    Last edited by NoFear23; 07-08-2012 at 11:19 AM.

Got a really good nights sleep last night, didn't wake up a single time and I slept for over 10 hours! I really needed it, sleep has been bad for about a week now. It's been 40 hours since I took that 2mg of sub. I feel not horrible, minor stomach issues, little bit of lethargy, some muscle cramping in my legs... Nothing unbearable. No sweats!!! I've been lucky this time around with that, cold sweats while I'm trying to sleep is usually pretty bad for me and I particularly hate that. Anyway, looked at the PAWS worksheet and I am only at an 8 right now so I am going to stick it out and see what happens. I'm not getting two excited yet, I know suboxone can surprising with how long it lasts.

On another note... I flushed the rest of that first strip and then I painstakingly cut a new 8mg strip down into perfect little 1mg and .5mg pieces last night before bed just in case I woke up in the middle of the night with the sweats (that's where I usually chicken out and dose again!). I wanted it ready so I could be precise and I knew I'd just be hacking away at it with one eye open otherwise. I gotta say these strips are MUCH easier to manage than the pills. I had the pills last time and was always guessing at what I had. Not to mention I would crush them down and sniff them like an idiot. If I don't wind up having to use these strips the question will be what to do with them! It cost me about $350 total to get the script and then fill it and I only used a quarter of one strip! I guess it'll be the best $350 I ever spent if I come outta this thing smelling like roses, but the temptation will be to keep the rest of them in case I relapse again. I don't want them laying around though because they do give me a "high" feeling. Maybe I'll get a safety deposit box at a bank two hours away from here or something. Any suggestions for what to do with the 12 sealed strips and the open one I cut into little squares? How am I supposed to store the open one anyway? Will the little pieces dry out or lose potency after opened?

Hey NoFear, just saw you posted. We must have been typing at the same time. I see what you mean about just quitting now. The subs do keep you off other drugs while waiting to be in the right place to quit. I gotta say, I am in the right place mentally to quit! Last year I kept a day by day account of my sub w/d on this website and last night I found it and read every word. It's a detailed record of my 40 day withdrawal from physical symptoms of suboxone. It was painful to read. Really reminded me of my struggle.

Strong Desire is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by javlife View Post
    It cost me about $350 total to get the script and then fill it and I only used a quarter of one strip! I guess it'll be the best $350 I ever spent if I come outta this thing smelling like roses,
    You're right about that! You just can't put a price on saving your life! You are doing great! You have the right attitude and things will go very well for you if you continue to improve everyday. Keep doing the right thing and you will get your life back.

Take care and have a great day today!

Hugs,
    Karen

what456 is offline Junior Member

Hi Jav, I have been off the site for awhile but I came back because I am struggling again to quit these subs and I always look for you to see how you are. I think about you and wonder how you are.