Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes
Urgent! Suboxone Taper. Questions. In need of advice asap!
    Kristen1022 is offline Member

Default Urgent! Suboxone Taper. Questions. In need of advice asap!

Hi all! My name is Kristen. I am a recovering prescription pill addict. I have battled opiate addiction since Spring 2009 and recently relapsed for a few months after six months of being clean while on Suboxone. I am a positive person without drugs in my life. I have faith in myself. If you want to know more about my drug addiction story, you can visit the other thread I posted via my profile.

I posted a week or two ago and didn't get much of a response. Right now I have been on Suboxone for 23 days; much longer than I had hoped. I thought I would be off already. I just finished up school for the semester, and I work two jobs. So, withdrawal is something I need to keep to a minimum so I can function. I do, however, have four days off in a row from work starting tomorrow. So, I am curious what everyone thinks I should do...
    So far, I have kept a journal of every dose I have taken daily. It is as follows:
    Day-Dose
    1-4mg
    2-3.5mg
    3-3mg
    4-3mg
    5-2.5mg
    6-2mg
    7-2mg
    8-1.5mg
    9-1mg
    10-2mg (Hit a rough patch here and went back up again)
    11-1.5mg
    12-1.5mg
    13-1mg
    14-1.25mg
    15-1mg
    16-0.75mg
    17-0.75mg
    18-0.75mg
    19-0.5mg
    20-0.5mg
    21-0.75mg (Really wasn't feeling good that day, and went back up again unfortunately)
    22-0.5mg (Went all day on 0.25mg, but took another dose before bed)
    23-0.5mg---My last dose that I took this morning. Feeling 85% stable at this dose.

I seem to be struggling with these low doses. I don't want to be on this drug too long. That's why I have been in a constant taper mode and keep strict records of my doses. I had planned to get down to 0.25mgs for four days and then start going every other day and every third day. I would start the 0.25mg doses tomorrow to continue for four days.

I am trying to follow Robert_325's instructions. I've heard that with that taper schedule, you can manage to taper off Suboxone with minimal or even no withdrawal symptoms. Can anyone confirm that jumping off at 0.25mg every other day makes it any easier? Has anyone successfully done this? I am wondering if maybe it just drags the withdrawal process out, but keeps the symptoms more manageable. I will admit, the last few weeks I have rarely felt great. There has been an almost constant low-energy, minor withdrawal factor lurking about. The minute I recognize feeling almost normal at a dose, I reduce my dose the following day and go back to the low-energy feeling, and the cycle continues...

I am debating if I should just stop the Suboxone tomorrow and use this opportunity of having four days off of work to just tough it out. Based on the experience of others, will four days of withdrawal, jumping off and 0.5mg give me time to at least feel like I can function when I return to work on Friday evening? I know everyone is different, but I have only been on the Suboxone for 3 weeks and have constantly reduced my doses.

I need help! Do I continue on with the taper method or just stop dosing and get this over with. I don't want to use this drug much longer at all. These low doses are tough to manage because when I am feeling some withdrawal, it is easy to justify to myself that I can have a small dose of 0.25 or 0.5 mg (which really isn't much at all), knowing that small amount will make me feel better. But, taking that small dose has a large impact on my taper schedule and only sets me back 4 or more days. So, what would you do?

Cheers to loving life again!
    -Kristen
    thalia45, surfdog and soscrewed like this.

Anonymous Guest

looks like you have been tapering a bit faster than robert suggests... 4 days on each dose...

and you try and get as low as possible. dont jump at .5mg... i tapered all the way to zero..

also, why hurry...? if you get this right once, you only have to do it once... dont be impatient... get it right...

good luck
    thalia45, Robert_325 and surfdog like this.

There are a few reasons why I am rushing myself. I feel like last time when I was on them for 6 months, I was very proud of how far I had come without pain pills, but it almost felt like I was never going to get off the Suboxone. I'd do a bunch of days at 0.25 and then I'd go back up to 0.5 for whatever reason. I'm hurrying along this time, because I am where I was in 6 months of tapering in a little over 3 weeks. I don't want to get stuck on this med forever and I am a baby when it comes to withdrawal. The funny thing is, I probably haven't lived the peek of withdrawal in over a year, maybe longer...so I don't really remember the extent of it. Pure agony has been etched into my brain where those memories lie.

Anyways, so you tapered all the way down? Can you explain how and maybe elaborate on how you felt doing it? Did you have minimal withdrawal or no withdrawal at all when it was all said and done? Why is this 0.5 to 0.25 so challenging! I'd stay on 0.25 for a week if I could even get there.

I woke up and took 0.25mgs this morning, and it really hasn't stabilized me. So, do I go back up to 0.5mgs and "try again tomorrow". I feel like that's what the addict in my always wants to do, putting stuff off for tomorrow. I don't want to be that person anymore.

How would you go about this.
    Thanks for all your help!
    Last edited by Kristen1022; 05-14-2012 at 09:27 AM.

Well, I took another 0.25mgs 30 minutes ago. Haven't felt much of an improvement yet. When am I supposed to go down to 0.25mgs? I'll have been at this dose 5-6 days already.

thalia45 is offline Member

Kristen, you sound like a very brave committed person; I am sure you will beat this and I am going to do what I can to keep your thread up there. BTW, Robert is the best!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kristen1022 View Post
    Hi all! My name is Kristen. I am a recovering prescription pill addict. I have battled opiate addiction since Spring 2009 and recently relapsed for a few months after six months of being clean while on Suboxone. I am a positive person without drugs in my life. I have faith in myself. If you want to know more about my drug addiction story, you can visit the other thread I posted via my profile.

I posted a week or two ago and didn't get much of a response. Right now I have been on Suboxone for 23 days; much longer than I had hoped. I thought I would be off already. I just finished up school for the semester, and I work two jobs. So, withdrawal is something I need to keep to a minimum so I can function. I do, however, have four days off in a row from work starting tomorrow. So, I am curious what everyone thinks I should do...
    So far, I have kept a journal of every dose I have taken daily. It is as follows:
    Day-Dose
    1-4mg
    2-3.5mg
    3-3mg
    4-3mg
    5-2.5mg
    6-2mg
    7-2mg
    8-1.5mg
    9-1mg
    11-1.5mg
    12-1.5mg
    13-1mg
    14-1.25mg
    15-1mg
    16-0.75mg
    17-0.75mg
    18-0.75mg
    19-0.5mg
    20-0.5mg
    21-0.75mg (Really wasn't feeling good that day, and went back up again unfortunately)
    23-0.5mg---My last dose that I took this morning. Feeling 85% stable at this dose.

I seem to be struggling with these low doses. I don't want to be on this drug too long. That's why I have been in a constant taper mode and keep strict records of my doses. I had planned to get down to 0.25mgs for four days and then start going every other day and every third day. I would start the 0.25mg doses tomorrow to continue for four days.

I am trying to follow Robert_325's instructions. I've heard that with that taper schedule, you can manage to taper off Suboxone with minimal or even no withdrawal symptoms. Can anyone confirm that jumping off at 0.25mg every other day makes it any easier? Has anyone successfully done this? I am wondering if maybe it just drags the withdrawal process out, but keeps the symptoms more manageable. I will admit, the last few weeks I have rarely felt great. There has been an almost constant low-energy, minor withdrawal factor lurking about. The minute I recognize feeling almost normal at a dose, I reduce my dose the following day and go back to the low-energy feeling, and the cycle continues...

I am debating if I should just stop the Suboxone tomorrow and use this opportunity of having four days off of work to just tough it out. Based on the experience of others, will four days of withdrawal, jumping off and 0.5mg give me time to at least feel like I can function when I return to work on Friday evening? I know everyone is different, but I have only been on the Suboxone for 3 weeks and have constantly reduced my doses.

I need help! Do I continue on with the taper method or just stop dosing and get this over with. I don't want to use this drug much longer at all. These low doses are tough to manage because when I am feeling some withdrawal, it is easy to justify to myself that I can have a small dose of 0.25 or 0.5 mg (which really isn't much at all), knowing that small amount will make me feel better. But, taking that small dose has a large impact on my taper schedule and only sets me back 4 or more days. So, what would you do?

-Kristen

Thank you! I am hoping I get some more input from him! These low doses are really hard to manage. Do you have any experience with suboxone tapers?

Kristen,

Have you read Robert's post where he outlines his plan? Might help until he can get with you! Hang in there

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html

thalia45 is offline Member

Thank you! I am hoping I get some more input from him! These low doses are really hard to manage. Do you have any experience with suboxone tapers?
    Gosh, I wish!! (You know what I mean). All I can say is that you are a person I would like to have in my 3-d world sometime; you are amazing. PLEASE don't EVER underrate yourself. Very few people have the comittment and the intelligence to attempt what you are doing. I am humbled by getting to know you,

Thalia
    JWBRASH likes this.

Wow! Well saying that makes me feel good! Here I feel like I have been struggling and not doing a good job. It's nice to have some positive feedback. That's what I have been hoping to gain from this site. So, please, feel free to give me any advice or encouragement! Whatever you've got to offer

Thanks for the link! I posted one other thread a couple weeks ago and he told me to slow down and be patient with my taper schedule. He said to stay at a dose four days and then drop down by 25%...So, I've followed that sort of consistently...
    My problem is that I have been at 0.5mgs for more than 4 days and the next dose I have been going to is 0.25mg...I don't know if doing something like 0.35mg would really make that much of a difference in how I am feeling. It's not the worst withdrawals ever. But, I will admit, it's pretty uncomfortable.

Should I wait until I am more stable at 0.5mgs before I drop down next? I can not explain how anxious I am to say good riddance to dependence!

I wish I could be of more help to you, this is my first time really getting off hydrocodone. I have been tapering myself down and last couple days only took 5mg both days and nothing today. Not really having too much wd physically, just mentally!!!! I feel like I have suddenly become a raging Bi-polar/ Manic-Depressive monster!! Even making the dogs nervous, lol.

I cleaned the entire house this morning, now have nothing to do and sitting here listening to Smokey and crying my eyes out..........just weird. Am not sure if I wouldn't rather have the chills and RLS. Just can't be pleased I guess.

If you are that determined to stick with it, I would say just stick with and tough it out??? I know it gets better, I have been reading that for two weeks now.

Anonymous Guest

There are a few reasons why I am rushing myself. I feel like last time when I was on them for 6 months, I was very proud of how far I had come without pain pills, but it almost felt like I was never going to get off the Suboxone. I'd do a bunch of days at 0.25 and then I'd go back up to 0.5 for whatever reason. I'm hurrying along this time, because I am where I was in 6 months of tapering in a little over 3 weeks. I don't want to get stuck on this med forever and I am a baby when it comes to withdrawal. The funny thing is, I probably haven't lived the peek of withdrawal in over a year, maybe longer...so I don't really remember the extent of it. Pure agony has been etched into my brain where those memories lie.

Anyways, so you tapered all the way down? Can you explain how and maybe elaborate on how you felt doing it? Did you have minimal withdrawal or no withdrawal at all when it was all said and done? Why is this 0.5 to 0.25 so challenging! I'd stay on 0.25 for a week if I could even get there.

I woke up and took 0.25mgs this morning, and it really hasn't stabilized me. So, do I go back up to 0.5mgs and "try again tomorrow". I feel like that's what the addict in my always wants to do, putting stuff off for tomorrow. I don't want to be that person anymore.

yes thats the exact reason NOT TO HURRY. if you cant stay stable on .25 how are you going to get off. get my drift... what you need to do if you cant go to .25 is go in the middle... like .35 or something. if you can see a .5 and a .25 you will know how to get the middle.
    i went as low as i could, which was tiny miniscule crumbs, and then i jumped. i didnt skip days, i had been trying for months to skip and never could. for me, i had to commit and do it...
    it was still pretty hard and i had RLS and lack of sleep, but considering i had never made it past day 2 in my life, it was totally do able... in the end i got some sleeping pills to help me sleep.
    oh and right near the end i switched my dose to night time, so i could get some sleep, and then in the day when i was working i was busy so never got too much time to think about how i was feeling.

you go down when YOU feel stable on the dose you are on.. not when someone says you should. please dont hurry tho. its better to get this right...

you are nearly there, give yourself a break, dont be so hard on yourself for a few extra days or weeks, in the grand scheme of things it will be nothing, when you are clean...
    4help likes this.

Anonymous Guest

yes thats the exact reason NOT TO HURRY. if you cant stay stable on .25 how are you going to get off. get my drift... what you need to do if you cant go to .25 is go in the middle... like .35 or something. if you can see a .5 and a .25 you will know how to get the middle.
    i went as low as i could, which was tiny miniscule crumbs, and then i jumped. i didnt skip days, i had been trying for months to skip and never could. for me, i had to commit and do it...
    it was still pretty hard and i had RLS and lack of sleep, but considering i had never made it past day 2 in my life, it was totally do able... in the end i got some sleeping pills to help me sleep.
    oh and right near the end i switched my dose to night time, so i could get some sleep, and then in the day when i was working i was busy so never got too much time to think about how i was feeling.

you go down when YOU feel stable on the dose you are on.. not when someone says you should. please dont hurry tho. its better to get this right...

you are nearly there, give yourself a break, dont be so hard on yourself for a few extra days or weeks, in the grand scheme of things it will be nothing, when you are clean...

Anonymous Guest

oh and another reason not to hurry, i know for a fact that robert says if we go too fast, or have too big a drops, our symptoms can follow us right to the end... HAVE YOU EVER FELT STABLE on any dose.??

i hope so.. are you even stable on .5mg.... ??

this is important because we need to get you stable before you try to do any more reductions...

I read what you said last night before bed, Cheeky. I wouldn't say 0.5mgs is great. I'm maybe 80% stable at that dose. The one dose that seemed to be perfect is 0.75mgs. So, I took 0.75mgs today and I think I am going to stay here for a few more days and then try 0.5mgs again. I think as I am getting to the end here, I need to give myself a little bit longer on each dose. I definitely tried to cut to 0.25mgs a little too soon. This time I might try a dose right in the middle when I get there.

Thank you everyone for talking to me! I don't have much of a real life support system. Very few people know I've had an opiate addiction and most probably wouldn't believe it if I told them. The ones that do know about my addiction resent the fact that I am trying to better my life and offer me pills whenever they get the chance. Misery loves company.
    I think I will post daily.
    Something about telling people how I am feeling and where I am at is keeping me mentally on track.

Anyways... I want, no NEED to be totally substance free for my vacation in early July. I want to be feeling GREAT. I desperately deserve this vacation after the last few years of my life. A vacation where I feel good, not because of some drug, but because I have my life back and I can wake up and get out of bed in the morning and just GO! So, we've got some work to do!

I've noticed exercise makes me feel great and I have way less RLS at night. The problem is getting my legs to want to do anything in the morning. Does anyone else have the with suboxone? I feel like when I wake up (which is really hard to do, I'm also really, really sleepy in the morning since the sub regimen), my body just feels like a bunch of dead weight. I want to just lay in bed until 30-45 minuntes after I dose.

Ahh. Drugs. I'm so aggravated I'm back here again. I had over 6 months clean on suboxone and was down to 0.25mgs every other day. I got a severe infection in my jaw which was really painful. I toughed it out for a month in pain and agony. When I couldn't take it anymore, I relapsed on MY prescription pills. At least they were actually my prescription that time if you catch my drift.

Have a beautiful day everyone!

Hopeful,
    I must commend you on your strength to taper down on your drug of choice. I have tried that many times and it is very hard to do. I find I either need a medication like Suboxone or to go cold turkey. Let me know how you are feeling today!
    It's normal to feel mentally a wreck. Somehow this drug creeps into our lives and we use it like a crutch. Hydrocodone/Oxycodone makes life hazy and it's easy to pass our emotions off. You are just feeling them resurface now and relearning how to deal with them. It will calm down in time if you stick with it. I wish you the best of luck and I'm here if you need anything!

Well I guess I wasn't done with the taper, yesterday was supposed to be first day, lasted until midnight and took the very last half (5mg). I tried to give it away yesterday, nobody wanted a measly little half a pill. I just couldn't throw it away, was thinking of putting it in lucite and use as a paperweight to remind myself. Anyway had my plans for the evening change at the last minute which really upset me. I sat here and drank 4 beers (am not a big drinker), and just cried. Midnight came and I was mentally and physically miserable, I took the pill and slept. At least am well rested, although slightly hung over for my day one do-over. Yeah I feel terrible that I let myself do that.

On a better note, I have NONE now and have told all my pill buddies I am not doing this anymore. I don't feel tempted at all to go looking for more, that is part of why I am SO done with this. Someone (Reid?) posted, "This too shall pass", that is my mantra for today, and Hopefully before I know it I will be at day 3, then 7, then 10...........I WILL do this. Ok, I am rambling. On with day one again.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Thanks for the link! I posted one other thread a couple weeks ago and he told me to slow down and be patient with my taper schedule. He said to stay at a dose four days and then drop down by 25%...So, I've followed that sort of consistently...
    My problem is that I have been at 0.5mgs for more than 4 days and the next dose I have been going to is 0.25mg...I don't know if doing something like 0.35mg would really make that much of a difference in how I am feeling. It's not the worst withdrawals ever. But, I will admit, it's pretty uncomfortable.

Should I wait until I am more stable at 0.5mgs before I drop down next? I can not explain how anxious I am to say good riddance to dependence!

You mentioned that I suggested to you to follow the taper plan posted above saying to reduce your dose by 25% every four days or so. Now you talk about going from .5mg to .25mg, which is a 50% reduction. It's even MORE important to stick with a 25% reduction MAX at under 1mg. It's a very small amount of medication but the subs are very strong. You can taper down to a crumb and still get relief from that crumb literally. You need to get stable on each dose before reducing again or the symptoms will follow you and worsen. That is why in the hisory you've posted about yourself you continue to have to increase your dose periodically as you're having tough days. If you stick "militantly diligent" to that taper plan, and make sure you're stable when you reduce, and don't go over 25% no matter how small that amount is, you'll be successful in the end. You didn't get here in one day and you won't get clean (and not relapse) unless you do this properly. Getting clean is easy, you just don't use for a while, but STAYING clean is a process, not an event. Take your time and give this the attention to detail that is merits. It's your life that you're talking about saving here. God bless.
    surfdog likes this.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Thank you Robert for the reply! I figured going from 0.5 to 0.25 would be easy since it's only 0.25mgs but I was wrong. I am going to stay at 0.75mgs for today. Yesterday I felt really wired when I took my medication in the morning. I don't want to stay here terribly long because the feeling almost reminds me of getting high. I feel a little tooooo good, if you know what I mean.

So it says my next dose is 0.56mgs when I did the math...How am i supposed to find this dose with the strips? They melt in my hand if I play with them too much! Just cut 1 mg in half and take a little sliver off of one of those halves for the .06mg? I feel like it will have melted into my finger before it reaches my mouth...

Today is another beautiful day.
    Thank you everyone for you support and help.
    God bless everyone, especially you Robert for taking your time to help others through.
    -Kristen

Hopeful,

I know how it feels to let yourself down. I feel like I have been letting myself down through this entire processes of transitioning from pills to subs and now to nothing. Everyone keeps telling me to be patient and relax. I'm passing this advice on to you.

Yes, you took a dose when you had it set in your mind that you wouldn't. But, do remember that it was only 5mgs for hydrocodone. It's not like you decided to go bang H. If I may suggest trying not to drink while going through withdrawal/dependence. For one, you don't need the feeling of being hungover mixing in with the feelings of mental and physical withdrawal as you kick dependency. Another thing, I would hate to see you replace one substance for the next. You'd be amazed how easily that can happen.

I am proud you told your pill buddies you are done with them. Stick to it. When I told my normal hookups I was done, they hounded me to buy some, offered them very cheap and whatever. Misery loves company. Don't fall for that trap if it happens to you. Any real friend would support you bettering your life, not encourage a fallback.

So, today is Day One for you. Congratulations on getting this far!
    Feel free to stay in touch with me! I enjoy talking to others very much!
    surfdog likes this.

Thank you Robert for the reply! I figured going from 0.5 to 0.25 would be easy since it's only 0.25mgs but I was wrong. I am going to stay at 0.75mgs for today. Yesterday I felt really wired when I took my medication in the morning. I don't want to stay here terribly long because the feeling almost reminds me of getting high. I feel a little tooooo good, if you know what I mean.

So it says my next dose is 0.56mgs when I did the math...How am i supposed to find this dose with the strips? They melt in my hand if I play with them too much! Just cut 1 mg in half and take a little sliver off of one of those halves for the .06mg? I feel like it will have melted into my finger before it reaches my mouth...

Today is another beautiful day.
    Thank you everyone for you support and help.
    God bless everyone, especially you Robert for taking your time to help others through.
    -Kristen

Kristen ..... Depending on what dose a person is reducing from a 25% reduction can work out to a three or more decimal number! Obviously that is impossible to cut exactly. All you need to do is get as close as you are able by eyeballing it. That is plenty close for our purposes. Get it as close as you are able but don't obsess over it, just do your best and that will be fine. This isn't THAT exact of a science that judging ourselves with our best eye isn't good enough. Hope that helps. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

rrRachael is offline New Member

I am completely new to this site, as far as registering goes. However, during my suboxone detox I came here quite often just to read advice others had posted and just to look for support without even having to ask a question or post anything at all. I wanted to give a super thanks to Robert. I am a 23 year old female who unfortunately was in with the wrong crowd at the age of 19. I became addicted to oxycontin, but very quickly realized I had a problem and I needed help. I was only abusing the drug for 4 months. After that four month mark my doctor had prescribed me to what he called a "miracle drug" that would take away all the pain from the oxycontin withdrawal. I was prescribed 8/2mg pills once a day. He never went into any detail about this drug, as far as I was concerned it was going to make the withdrawals go away and I could immediately get off from it. This wasn't the case at all. Over two years later my doctor still had me prescribed to this medication. TWO YEARS, after only being addicted to Oxys for 4 months. I started doing my research and realized this is not a miracle drug for someone in my position. I realized that I was going to have to deal with the withdrawals no matter what and that it was all for nothing. I would have taken the oxycontin withdrawals over the suboxone withdrawals in an instant. Also, a side not, my doctor was a very crooked doctor. The main reason I was forced off the program so fast was because he had hired me in his office to do secretary work and that was when I realized he didn't hire me because of my experience as a secretary. Long story short, sexual harassment chargers we're filed and I had to leave the family practice. But I digress... Leaving so suddenly left me with 15 8mg pills of suboxone and a very short time to taper. If it we're not for this site (specifically robert) I don't think I could ever have done it. I am so happy to say today is my 11th day off of suboxone and I am doing fine. I tapered fairly quickly and cut each dose in half every other day because I knew my script was limited. It was to the point where I was barely even getting any powder under my tongue and the withdrawals took affect IMMEDIATELY. The first night I was in so much pain and my heart rate was over 180, I already have heart problems so I was rushed to the ER where they did absolutely nothing for me and told me that if it gets over 200 to come back. Evidently my heart rate was normal for a suboxone detox. The insomnia was the absolute worst. I couldn't sleep AT ALL for days straight. Not only was my mind racing from the anxiety but my legs we're in so much pain I could not concentrate on anything but the pain. One thing that helped A LOT was listening to music. I would put my headphones in and concentrating on the music helped ease my anxiety. (music is a huge part of my life though, I am a musician) As far as vomiting goes, that didn't occur until about the fourth day and I could never actually throw anything up, just dry heaving. As a side note I am 5 feet and 100 pounds with an already horrible immune system. I just want anyone and everyone to know that it is possible to get through this. Honestly, if I did it, anyone can do it. You just have to believe in yourself. Don't focus so much on the anxiety. Find some way to get some peace of mind. As much as it sucks to move around, go for a short walk outside, especially on a nice sunny day. All of these things combined helped me get through this and I have never been so happy. Fortunately during this period I didn't have a job or any other responsibilities, so I was able to take the time to heal. Thank you to everyone who posted on here that helped me out and just know that its a bumpy road but there is a light at the end of the tunnel and that light is so rewarding once the worst is over. Special thanks to Robert. I know I never posted to you personally but I did read almost all of your posts and they helped immensely. Forever grateful. Good luck everyone. You will get through this, I promise you.
    AH123, Robert_325, surfdog and 1 others like this.

I appreciate everyone's experiences and honesty, but at my request, I would like to keep the negativity off of my thread about how sick you felt and how terrible the withdrawal was from Suboxone and how it's a terrible drug and the worst thing you have ever gone through.
    Please don't take offense to this, but we all have terrible stories. They come along with being addicts.
    I'd just like to keep this thread as a way to track my taper schedule and get encouragement and advice from those who have been through this.
    I'm very confident that I will be successful and I try to only surround myself with positive thoughts and energy.

Congrats on being clean Rachael. I know how challenging it is.

Alright! Well everyone, 0.75mgs has been very good to me today! I just got done with a 3 mile run outside in this beautiful weather and now I'm on to cleaning my house! I think tomorrow I will try to taper somewhere around 0.5-0.55mgs.

I'm thankful for everyone who has been successful at getting clean and is willing to help me. It shows me it is possible. I think with the right attitude, a few days of withdrawal is going to be meaningless when it comes down to it! I'm so ready for this life, dependence free. I know it's coming. I can feel it deep down in my soul that this chapter of my life is coming to an end.

This Friday is 4 weeks on Suboxone, but more importantly 4 weeks sober!
    I am very thankful for everything. My life, my faith and my sobriety!
    I will be in touch with you all tomorrow about how I am feeling!

Have a beautiful day everyone, filled with love and joy!
    Robert_325 likes this.

GRASSblue is offline New Member

You are going down way to fast. If you can afford to stay on the devils back then take your time. I jumped off at .75/day cause I didnt have a choice and im at day 5 and life sucks but getting better every day. I called into work sick for the first 2 days and sucked it up for the next 2 one more to go WEEKEND please hurry. I just started to take Withdrawl ease hopeing that it might help ease the suffering not sure yet cant wait to sleep. Take your time get as much advice as you can read all the blogs you can stand it really helps. Get your mind into a good place, tell yourself you can do this no matter how much pain you are in for. you can do it but do it the right way and your chances are so much better. If i can do it anybody can. MUSIC MUSIC MUSIC

AH123 is offline Junior Member

Hey Kristen, my name is Amber I'm 22 and just wanted to offer some encouragement! I have had a pretty good detox off subs, and I jumped at around 1 or 2 mg. I'm on day 4, my energy is back and sleep is getting better. Don't let the horror stories get you down, believe me I have read TONS, and you're right, focus on yourself and how YOU'RE feeling, and don't bother with the scary thoughts, if that makes sense lol. Good luck girl, I pray for an easy transition for you!

Amber! I appreciate your encouragement and congrats for being on Day 4! Were you on subs for a long time?

You are so right about the horror stories. They really get to me sometimes. It's tough to hear people commenting about how they just wanted to die and how bad life was when they went off Suboxone. Especially when making that move it right around the corner for me! It's nice to hear you saying that you are on Day 4 and you are managing. That is the stuff I like to hear!

I know a lot of people are saying I am going too fast, but I am doing what I think is best for me and what feels right for me. Tapering fast isn't going to put a painkiller back in my hand. I am done with that part of my life. I did stay at 0.75mgs today. I felt good waking up before the medication so that is a good sign. The dose actually feels a little too strong for me today. I always get an itchy nose if I take too much Sub. Today, my nose is itchy! Tomorrow is definitely going to be a day for my next reduction and then we will see from there! I think a couple more weeks and I'll be golden!

What's amazing is how happy I am feeling. I feel mentally strong. I think the mental withdrawal, the idea of not having to rely on something every day that I have associated with "feeling better", is the most challenging part of addiction and getting clean for me. The physical, well that's a few bad days maybe, but it's part of the consequence of my actions. I need to accept that part, too. Mentally, I'm feeling really ready for this change in my life. Every day I feel stronger.

Thank you everyone for being here for me! I promise to post daily, keeping myself in check

Peace and love to all!
    God bless!
    -Kristen
    Robert_325 likes this.

Kristen ..... There are always exceptions to every rule. You're doing three mile runs, you've got a fighting attitude, go for whatever you believe you can do! Don't let anyone tell you what you can't do! Good thing about subs is if you push yourself too fast you can always take a tiny crumb and it will pull you right out of it. Let me know if I can help you, but I am cheering for you all the way! God bless.
    x4change2012 and Kristen1022 like this.

sunnydayz is offline Junior Member

Day-Dose
    1-4mg
    2-3.5mg
    3-3mg
    4-3mg
    5-2.5mg
    6-2mg
    7-2mg
    8-1.5mg
    9-1mg
    11-1.5mg
    12-1.5mg
    13-1mg
    14-1.25mg
    15-1mg
    16-0.75mg
    17-0.75mg
    18-0.75mg
    19-0.5mg
    20-0.5mg

-Kristen
    Dear Kristen,
    Damn, I wrote you a pretty long reply and accidently deleted it! Oh boy. Well, the short version is first that I admire your determination and respect your desire to become completely off the suboxone. In answer to your questions regarding how it felt coming off and so forth. I will tell you I was on it before and began the 8/2 subs, I was on sub for two years as I wasn't really in a hurry to come off of them but probably could have a lot sooner but oh well. When I did decide to begin to wean myself off, I just started taking lower doses by the week, a 1/2 pill for a week, down to a 1/4 for a week, then to 1/4 every other day, then just quit one day and I did not have any symptoms of withdrawels. However, what I am about to say may or may not have helped me with getting off the "leash". I was heavily involved in 12 step program and all my friends were sober, I was working out and just really in a positive stage in my life. Also, I didn't really dwell on what might happen when I came off, I just was busy with all else in my life I guess I just didn't put much thought into how awful it might be. I understand your wanting to come off asap, but I agree with Robert, try not to push yourself too quick and if he has an outlined plan to come off sub, I would definately try that. Robert, the little I know of him, is VERY helpful, knowledgable, and kind-hearted to those of us struggling with addiction. Be good to yourself and you will be fine. And, remember "This Too Shall Pass". Oh btw, I relapsed recently and I am back on the sub as well. My new psych told me to take as low amounts as possible, in case I want to get off of them quicker. Sounds like you are on really low doses. Anyway, take care girl and I care about you though we've never met.

Sunny,
    Doesn't it suck when you write a well thought out post and all of a sudden it's gone? That has happened to me numerous times with post, e-mails, whatever, you name it!

I do appreciate Robert, though I don't know him personally. Just the sheer fact that someone takes time out of their day to go online and couch a bunch of struggling addicts with kindness and patience is amazing. There will be a wonderful spot up there for you in heaven I'm sure, Robert!

And Sunny, God bless your post! I think attitude makes all the difference in the world. If I wake up saying "Today I am going to reduce my dose, and I am going to feel miserable", you can bet I'm going to feel miserable, even if it has nothing to do with the Suboxone itself. So, thank you for recognizing that with the right attitude, it is possible to come clean and have only a little bit of that "hell" lingering. Obviously I am no expert on this, but if I can give one piece of advice to anyone trying to get clean it's to have the right attitude and to stick with it. If you constantly tell yourself you can do something, that you are happy, that life is good, that this will pass...soon enough you'll have gotten yourself through.

I know I've said it before, but these stories I read online are ridiculous sometimes. I know everyone has different trials and struggles when it comes to addiction. But, I think more people come online to vent about the hardships. Very few people come on hear to celebrate being clean and reaching the other side of the fence. More people should do that! It would give people like me, who come online searching for a community of answers, a chance to realize it is possible to get clean and to feel good doing it versus the alternative of feeling like you want to die and relapsing a day, a week, a month later.

I, myself, have never been involved in NA Meetings. My sober friends, who have battled addiction, all encourage me to go. I just feel like with everything I've been through, including losing my mom to cancer a few years ago at 17, I'll be some crying spectacle in front of everyone. This drug has masked some deep, relentless feelings. The hardest part about getting clean is revisiting them and dealing with them the way I should have in the beginning. Opiates came into my life at the perfect time. They were the perfect crutch. Maybe I should try a meeting. It certainly wouldn't hurt anything, plus I'd get some "real-life", tangible support, too. Although, this site has offered a lot of help for me, and I thank you all for that, even if we are just typing words on a website!

Today, I did my morning exercise routine, and took 0.5mgs! Feeling good! I have 0.12 mgs set aside in case I need a little rescue dose. Unfortunately, I have to work tonight at 4. I have a nice ten hour shift waiting for me. At least I got to enjoy four days off of work with beautiful weather.

P.S. Sunny, feel free to stay in touch with me. You sound like you a wonderful person that I would love to get to know. Sorry for my ridiculously long posts everyone. Bare with me! :P

Think love. Think happiness.
    God Bless!

Exclamation

Hi Everyone!
    It's been awhile since I posted! I am still taking 0.5mgs every day. I'll probably stay here 3-5 more days and make the jump. I have definitely slowed things down and I've been feeling pretty good!

I have a problem though. I am very worried about this.
    Robert, I am desperately seeking out your advice on this matter.

I have to have oral surgery on Thursday the 31st. Part of why I relapsed was due to a serious infection in my tooth which spread to surrounding bone and tissue. It was extremely painful, which is when I gave in to taking pain killers and somehow I lost site of taking them only for pain...I'm sure you know where that lead me.

Since the pain subsided, I was able to get back into recovery. Even though there is pain, I would take that over addiction any day.

The problem is that the pain is starting to get a little worse, but still manageable. So after seeing multiple people, I was referred to an oral surgeon to have the tooth that seems to be the root of the problem extracted. I'm okay with having the tooth out. Here is where my concern grows. They are also going to get into the jaw bone and tissue and revitalize the tissues with bone and tissue grafting. They basically take young bone/tissue cells and lay them into the infected areas to allow the tissue to grow back and heal with quickness and efficiency. I might need a future implant in the jaw bone to create support, so they want dense tissue for any future surgeries.

I've heard that removing a tooth isn't terribly painful and usually the use of prescription pain killers is at the patient's discretion as Ibuprofen can usually make the pain manageable. But, with my history of a chronic infection since early January (Nearly 6 months), it is possible that the two operations could erupt the already tender areas. Both my endodontist, general dentist and oral surgeon have warned me that there is a possibility it will be relatively sore for a couple weeks, more so than other patients, since my case is a rare one.

So, how do I manage this? I know they will prescribe lortabs, most likely 7.5mgs. What I am wondering is if the few days following surgery, do I let myself take them for pain? Do I not even fill the script? Will this mess up my recovery? I am DEAD SET on not relapsing this time. I don't even want to feel that high I get from taking an opiate. Will suboxone help with the pain?

I am so close to being off the suboxone. The last thing I need is to throw some hydrocodone into the mix. If I do switch to a short-acting opiate, do I stay off the suboxone afterwards then? I think I would almost have to. After a few days on hydro, it would be almost pointless to go back on the subs.

HELP.
    Do I just tough it out and take nothing?
    I just relapsed like 6 months ago due to this terrible infection. The pain was so bad. I thought I could handle taking painkillers and as it turned out, I couldn't. This time I have come back with POWER from that relapse. Relapsing is not an option for me. Is it a relapse if I am taking hydrocodone for legitimate pain? Where do you draw the line?

HELP HELP HELP.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast