Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Suboxowned
  • 1 Post By help4u
  • 1 Post By dsac6060
Tapering at 4 mg/day...questions
    dsac6060 is offline Member

Default Tapering at 4 mg/day...questions

I am currently on my fifth day at 4mg, i feel ok. Definitely feeling some slight wd but nothing that i cant handle. So my next drop is 3 mg? correct? I was wondering how you are supposed ot cut strips into such mgs such as 1.5 ? How am i supposed to measure this?

Default Forgot some details. I am looking for some advice and guidance

I started taking suboxone on Nov. 22 2011, at a dose of 8mg. My dr told me to take 4 mg at 8 am and 4 mg at 4 pm. I did this up until about 2 weeks ago. I am fed up with taking this stuff and know that I want to be off. He wanted me to be on 8 mg for 2 months, 6 mg for a month, 4 mg for a month and so on. I do not feel this is a wise strategy. So, I tapered down to 4 mg where I am at now and its my 5th day on that. Tomorrow I will move down to 3 mg and continue. I need some help with my questions above and also, since i was only on the subs for a little over 2 months will I be in bad shape? Before the subs, my addiction was not that severe as I was only doing maybe 1-2 30mg roxycodone pills a day. The only reason I wanted to transition to suboxone was not to get a "high" but to be able to continue my new job and not miss work. This has allowed me to do such in the time being. PLEASE HELP!!!

Suboxowned is offline Member

Default dsac

I have weaned from 12mgs to 1.75mgs in 3 weeks and 1 day. Currently, I am using 8mg films. I did this:

Cut 8mg strip into 2 pcs. = 2 -- 4mgs pcs.
    Cut the 2 pcs into 4 pcs = 4 -- 2mgs pcs.
    Cut the 4 pcs into 8 pcs = 8 -- 1mgs pcs.
    Cut a 1mgs pcs in half = 2 -- .50 pcs.
    Cut a .50 pcs in half = 2 -- .25 pcs.
    And So on...till you can't cut em up anymore.
    For my 1.75 dose, I just take a 1mg piece in a.m. and 3- .25 pcs in the late afternoon.
    You might need to get a razor blade or a small very sharp pair of scissors. (which is what I'm using).
    I'm going to 2mgs strips next so their won't be as much cutting.
    Hope I could help.
    I'm sure someone will be along to correct me or give you an easier way of doing it.
    Good Luck to you and congrats for getting off of this horrible orange stuff

Thanks... i appreciate you answering me! I get the sweats at certain points and my stomach feels kind of bloated. I am assuming this is probably because of me tapering down my dosage. I understand that this definitely does not call for me taking more suboxone at the moment since i still have to take 2 mg at 4pm to be at my daily dose of 4 mg. This is probably one of the worst mistakes i have ever made, but i could not deal with coming to work at a new job feeling and looking like that.

numbOne is offline Member

That's an excellent formula suboxowned typed out...

My program was about the same. Just a lower dose and i stayed at certain doses a little longer as necessary - which is not recommended but each to his own.

Anyway, 8MG strip cut into 1MG slivers, then cut in half. Sometimes i strip would be much larger and i would cut that into three. It's best to be as accurate as you can - not always easy.

It might not have been too bad coming off the lower dose of roxy, especially if you were able to taper just a bit from that...either way, it's a decision we all have to make of "how are we to get out easiest with minimal time" Im glad you thought it through and the plan worked - now just keep up teh 25% reductions until you are low enough (.125 -.25) and you'll be done. Don't fall to temptation and you won't ever have to go thru it again

I agree, one of the hardest things im finding is to try to be accurate when cutting the strips

wish there was an easier way to cut them haha. i feel like some are more than 2 or less than 2

Quote Originally Posted by dsac6060 View Post
    Thanks... i appreciate you answering me! I get the sweats at certain points and my stomach feels kind of bloated. I am assuming this is probably because of me tapering down my dosage. I understand that this definitely does not call for me taking more suboxone at the moment since i still have to take 2 mg at 4pm to be at my daily dose of 4 mg. This is probably one of the worst mistakes i have ever made, but i could not deal with coming to work at a new job feeling and looking like that.
    I get the sweats on and off all day long. I was constipated horribly last week. I've had problems with constipation and urinary retention since starting vicodin 5 years ago. I thought since I was getting lower on my sub dose the constipation would ease up. Boy was I wrong. I think its getting worse. Im hoping it will straighten itself out within time. I've read on other posts that when you are sizing up your dose, it doesn't have to be an exact measure. Just as long as you are in range. I'm doing really good so far with my reduction. Just having irritability and having broken sleep at night. I'm on day 2 at 1.75mgs. If I feel good tomorrow too, I think I might drop again on Thursday. As long as I keep feeling good, I'm gonna drop 25% after 3 whole days. If feel horrible, I'll hold out till I stabilize. The taper plan offered on this website is very successful.
    I'm around quite often if you want to talk or have questions. Look for my thread(s) and read my journey off this drug.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by Suboxowned; 02-14-2012 at 03:28 PM.

Suboxowned:
    I know what you mean about the sweats, I sit in work and feel like my body is just drenched at certain points. I had constipation when I first started taking Suboxone but I increased my daily fiber amount and water. This works after a few days, or try to eat some yogurt or take a probiotic. Today is my first day at 3 mg, so i took 2mg this morning then I'll take 1 mg at 4pm. I woke up today and honestly i felt fine like I did not need to take the suboxone at all but I did because I didnt want to throw off my schedule. Is this the right choice? Or should I have skipped my dose??????

Also, is 3 days too quick to drop a dose? Whats the most you were ever taking? or "Prescribed" from your genius doctor? Because i took 8 mg for about a month and a half. Yea one day i seriously felt terrible so i took the smallest crumb to help myself. It worked, dont know if it was mental or just the extra mgs i needed.

I would definitely like to stay in touch with you and other people on here as I go through this and afterwards conquering this battle. I really didnt have much motivation to stick with it because of how I was feeling, but when reading everyone elses post and how they are in the same boat as me definitely provides some relief and gives me hope. I am so glad I mistakingly found my way to this website and forum. Never did so much research on one topic in my entire life lol. I am going to start taking a list of amino acids and supplements while I am tapering. heard this helps with the healing process.

Talk to you soon! Look forward to hearing about your journey and to have some positive ppl for support in my life!

Default dsac

This website is a godsend. I honestly would not be where I am if it were not for the people on this forum. When someone is going thru something like this, it helps to know you are not the only one out there suffering. I have felt a little more brave or I feel that if I don't stick to my schedule, I'm going to disappoint the people on here. This forum has kept me strong.
    I have been dropping my dose every 4th day. So, after 3 whole days of being on a dose and as long as I feel fine, I drop. Some people wait 4 whole days before dropping. I have read on Roberts posts that if you wish to wait 4 days before dropping, that's fine. I believe you should really just listen to how your body is responding. Unfortunately, we are all going to experience some sort of withdrawal no matter what and that is to be expected. (like sweats, irritability. lack of sleep, etc...) I keep pushing right on thru these feelings and drop after 3 whole days (I'm dropping every 4 days). I started out at 8mgs (almost) 4yrs ago. At one point, the fine Dr. had me at 16mgs a day. When I decided I was done with this stuff, I was at 12mgs. So, I have dropped from 12mgs to 1.75mgs in a little over 2 weeks. Again, it was a miracle I found this website. I googled quitting Suboxone and found all sorts of Rehabs, rapid detox centers (asking $10,000 or more) and forums. This forum sounded the most "educated". I've read countless horror stories and success stories on the web, but, the most success stories came from here.
    You were right to take your dose this morning even tho you didn't feel like you needed to. You shouldn't skip now. Your body is still adjusting and like Robert has said, this stuff is very strong and you'll feel it if you start skipping or reducing too soon. Stick to the plan. It has worked for me so far. The only problem I am having is I'm not sleeping well at night now. I can't stay asleep and by the time I finally fall back asleep, its almost time to get up for the day. My doc prescribed me Ambien last night. I fell asleep by 11p and was awake by 3:30a. I was able to fall asleep at 7:30a till 10:00a. Now I feel fine. I get really depressed when I get less and less sleep. (I'm sure everyone does)
    I have started taking a multivitamin and I also purchased a whole list of supplements that I'm slowly working into my day. For the constipation, I have been eating Activia along with Benefiber (its working too). I'm trying to drink more water and eat healthier. But its easier said than done, lol.
    Well, now that I've written a small memoir...lol. I guess it helps to get it all out there. I feel like I'm releasing it all thru my fingertips and out of my world.
    Keep in touch. I'm from a suburb of Chicago and its really cold and gloomy today. Spring is a little ways off. I can't wait for the 60 degree days and the birds chirping again. The start of warmer and sunny days..........ahhh
    Talk to you soon and try to have a good day! I'll be here if you need to talk!
    Aud
    alleycat4714 likes this.

help4u is offline New Member

Default Good Job Suboxowned

Decided to log back in today to see how you are doing. It will be easier when you get the 2mg strips but when I weaned, I wasn't measuring, I just cut slivers off and at first, each strip lasted one week exactly. Then I made the strip last 10 days. By that time I wasn't even tasting that horrid bitter orange (I don't even like the color orange anymore)lol. Thats when I got really tired of the whole mess. Sometimes my hands were damp and they would dissolve. As soon as you get tired of all of it, its time to just quit. Don't forget the miralax and also hot bubble baths. You'd be surprised how good it feels, even at 3am after waking up sweating-how easy it is to get back to sleep. OK?
    Suboxowned likes this.

I hear you, if this forum was not here I dont know who else I could talk to . My family, friends, and everyone is in the dark about my situation! Yes I am having WD symptoms every day some worse than others but i just keep thinking about the END POINT and push through. Talking about it on here helps me release stress and anything else on my mind for the matter. I am glad to hear that you are also doing well with your taper. Hope that your stomach gets better soon and keep up eating healthy. I take the One a day mens multivitamin, but in gummy form. Way easier to eat and enjoy lol. What other supplements are you taking? I'd like to see if they are the same ones I am on. Message me back please.

Keep pushing and have faith, you are not alone in this as you can see! Im here if you need to talk !
    Last edited by dsac6060; 02-16-2012 at 08:30 AM. Reason: misspellings

Suboxowned :

I meant to tell you that if you are having trouble sleeping I have some recommendations that are all natural supps:

1) GABA
    2) Melatonin
    3) During the day, I take Fish Oil w/ Omega 3, Calcium Magnesium D3, and a probiotic for digestion.

This so far seems to work well. Give it a try and let me know if you have any questions. I am educated on supplements as I am a certified sports nutritionist and trainer.

rnewton8 is offline Member

Default how to split

i just started dropping about a month ago. Im taking it really slow myself.

today i just went from 2 down to 1.5mg

the way i did it was cut an 8mg in half and then in half again which will give you 4 2mg strips. from there cut 1/4th of a piece off of each 2mg strip.

that will give you a total of 4 1.5mg strips and 4 pieces of .5mg.

there may be a better way to do it but thats how i did it.

i went from 4mg down to 3mg and stayed there for a few weeks, then went to 2mg and stayed there for a few weeks. now im gonna try 1.5mg.

each dosage drop i feel for a bit until my body adjusts but its nothing too crazy to where i cant sleep or work or anything.

anyways good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by dsac6060 View Post
    Suboxowned :

I meant to tell you that if you are having trouble sleeping I have some recommendations that are all natural supps:

1) GABA
    2) Melatonin
    3) During the day, I take Fish Oil w/ Omega 3, Calcium Magnesium D3, and a probiotic for digestion.

This so far seems to work well. Give it a try and let me know if you have any questions. I am educated on supplements as I am a certified sports nutritionist and trainer.
    Currently I'm taking:
    1) Multivitamin
    2) Super B Complex
    3) Potassium
    4) Magnesium
    5) Probiotic for digestion
    6) 2 Melatonin at night IF I don't take an Ambien.

What is GABA? How can it help me? I am willing to try anything that will help me feel better. I would take Fish Oil but I cannot stand fish and I'm afraid of getting the fishy aftertaste.
    Thanks.

Those are all very good supplements for what you are doing. I'll break down each supplement I take and what they do.

[B]GABA: gamma aminobutyric acidB]: I take this at night because it makes you sleepy. I highly suggest trying this supp. Be careful mixing the melatonin and Ambien. I am not sure of the chemical make up when those two are combined. Just a thought. While GABA is an amino acid, it is classified as a neurotransmitter and helps induce relaxation and sleep. It balances the brain by inhibiting over-excitation. GABA contributes to motor control, vision, and many other cortical functions. Anxiety is also regulated by GABA

One-A-Day Multivitamin Gummy: 2 a day, for getting nutrients that my body was deprived of while on pills and suboxone

Super B complex: 100 mg 3X daily needed for absorption of aminos, rebuilding of the liver, reducing stress, If you can get injections from your doctor that is even better.. I would buy the sublingual for best absorption

Calcium Magnesium D3: 3 a day, helps the central nervous system and helps to prevent RLS and spasms

Fish Oil: Great for health to get back on track; the omega 3's in this supplement are important, they promote less pain, cardiovascular health, better brain function, less depression. Oh and since you dont like fish, they make ones that barely taste like fish and also do not give you that fish burp lol

L-Glutamine: this is the amino acid required for GABA production, which is the relaxing part of our brain, i take 1000 mg 3x daily

Sam E: aids in stress relief, depression,eases pain, and produces antioxidant effect that can improve the health of the liver.....be careful if you are taking another supplement like 5HTP do not mix the two. I found that Sam E has been promoting my mood and keeping me on task. This will help you get through that depression phase

ProBiotic: I was already diagnosed with IBS, but when i started doing pills it became a nightmare. Lately since i lowered my dosage, plus adding a probiotic, i have been getting my digestion system back on track. PHEWWWWW praise the lord lol NOT FUN

Amino Acid drink called Amino Decanatate: This is used for exercising and building muscle, but contains a ton of amino acids which are useful in rebuilding, THE POINT OF TAKING THE SUPPS to REBUILD

Protein shakes/smoothies: AMAZZZZING!!! Really help if you are not hungry, easier to take in and VERY nutrient dense. I put a banana(potassium), peanut butter, water, soy milk, and protein powder(which contains several nutrients varying on which brand you buy) !!!!

Other supplements I am purchasing this week:

I also want to get L-Taurine which is another relaxation amino acid.

L-Tyrosine: I only take this if i need energy, i have been staying away from caffeine lately to see if that helps w anxiety

L-Theanine: This is a natural anti-anxiety med. Some people dont even take valium or xanax because it works that well. I have yet to buy but am going to soon as I drop lower dosage

Vitamin C - use Ester c buffered form, detoxifies the system, and lessens cravings for drugs. Supports many body systems

DLPA: if you are someone with legitimate pain, this is supposed to help....helps restore the function to the pain receptors working with the enporphins/enkephalins,

5HTP: you can take this if you are not taking the SAM E, DO NOT MIX THEM!!!! this is what tryptophan gets turned into prior to being turned into serotonin in our brains. Serotonin is what is usually depleted if we are depressed and anxious.. Taking this will help with PAWS ( post accute withdrawl syndrome) or eliminate you suffering from them all together DO NOT TAKE IF YOU ARE TAKING A SSRI OR TRICYLIC ANTI DEPRESSANT

In the morning, I take SAM E with water and my GUMMY MULTIVITAMIN and SUPER B COMPLEX.

With food at breakfast, I take my probiotic 30 mins before, CALCIUM MAGNESIUM, and FISH OIL since they need to be taken with food.

LUNCH: CALCIUM MAGNESIUM and FISH OIL, PROBIOTIC

L-Glutamine somewhere in the eary morning or afternoon on an empty stomach with a glass of water.

Protein shakes and Amino acid drinks during the day or during/after working out!

GABA and calcium magnesium again at night before bed.

WATER WATER WATER>>>> STAY HYDRATED, this is important especially when taking all of these vitamins and supplements. You should not be taking all of these and not drinking less than close to a gallon a day i would try for. Yes you might pee a milllion times but take it as you peeing out all the BAD EVIL TOXINS.

The goal in taking all of these supplements is to rebuild all the damage we have done to our body. Basically our body has been deprived of nutrients, emotions, and such so we need to get those back to regulating and acting at a normal level. It will take some time, but these supplements with a taper are supposed to work wonders. It took me some serious time to type this for you , So i hope that you find it useful and take into consideration what I have shown you. Please let me know if you have any questions.

I am on Day 2 of 2mg....where are you at now? I remember talking to you before and you were somewhat close to me? I started at 8 mg and now am down to this.!!!
    Suboxowned likes this.
    We CAN and WILL do this!!!!! Have faith and stay strong

Default Thank you!

I printed out your post and I'm going to try to get most of them. Do you have a preference to witch brand you use for vitamins and supplements? I know GNC is good, but they can get quite pricey with their vitamins and supplements. I don't want to go to Walmart and then find out I wasted $20-30 on useless herbs and whatever.

I appreciate you getting this info to me.

I am currently at day 2 on 1mg. So far, so good!!! I think I'm going to turn on some music and dance around since I'm home alone (for now). Lol.

Talk to you soon!!

Aud

Yes try to get most of them or at least some. They will and do help. When I people quit cold turkey, they use these supplements. Surprisingly GNC isn't that bad at all, most of their supps are reasonable. Or try Vitamin Shoppe, either way become a member and get a discount.

No problem, just trying to help someone in need who is in a common place. GOOD get some exercise, if i wasnt sitting at my desk at work I'd be doing the same thing. That is the hardest thing for me, being here staring at a computer all day. Itd be easier if I was moving around keeping busy.

Okay, ill make sure you are in my contacts

Anonymous Guest

while this is a great list of supplements and their uses,,, MOST people do not require all of these things when coming off a proper taper using subs....

in my opinion the main thing is something for RLS, which i used magnesium baths, and something to help sleep for a few days, or possibly a couple of weeks... (and even the RLS is nothing compared to cold turkey so its actually manageable)

I know that, i was just trying to help give some names and ideas.