Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Like Tree13Likes
Suboxone side effects - HELP!
    dago77 is offline Senior Member

Brd, i am encouraging you also. You should feel proud that you put the Vic's down. Being on sub does make you feel like your heading in the right direction. Everyone here will support you if your trying to get off the pills. I know I will.

I just don't want you to get hooked on subs if you don't have to. Because it is an opiate and the longer you mess with it the worse it will be. Unless you taper all the way down to tiny doses. At that point you could have been opiate free for a month and feeling good. That's what I'm getting at.

If you try to get off drugs I will post here everyday giving you props!

brd82 is offline New Member

Ryan,

No offense taken. I'm sure i'm on edge, so I apologize for my less-than-appreciative response.

Small update; so, no Vic's since Thursday of last week... day 4 of no Sub's. The biggest problem I am having is the nausea and depression. The nausea is bad to the point where I have to lay down most of the time. I guess this is detox in some form, but nothing that some Pepto doesn't seem to fix (for a little bit). I know better than to give in to the feeling of helplessness/sadness/worthlessness, because I know why it's there and what it stems from... but it's hard to handle, nonetheless. I am doing this on my own.. I haven't told anyone about it (besides my DR...), and have taken a hiatus from being social while I get myself into a better frame of being.

I haven't had any cravings (yet) for Vicodin or for Suboxone.. I will take your word for it that the Detox will be waiting for me (hopefully sooner than later)... I'm trying to get as clean as possible while I'm at home and have downtime. I took today and tomorrow off from work, as I start my travel again on Sunday; and I'll be on the road until Mid-June.. so I definitely don't look forward to being in a really bad state of detox while I'm travelling. There is nothing worse than sitting on a plane (which is already uncomfortable) while you feel terrible.. or being in a foreign place (hotel, different city) with no one around, while you are sick. The thought of that waiting for me, really has me uneasy.

Since you guys obviously have more experience (whether it be first hand or through reading other peoples posts) what else can I do to manage this process?

I of course, would rather the bad just get over with, but I can't speed that up, haha. I'm sitting fine now, but when it does happen, I'm not sure what to do.

You say to just buckle down and get thru the worst part without Subs... I'm just worried that if I'm on the road and I start feeling like I remember it being in the past, I won't have much of a choice. No matter how bad I feel, I refuse to take Vic's.. I am goal oriented and have my mind set to not venture down that path. It's bad enough that I'm having to go through what I'm dealing with now.

Eh.. just venting. Thanks again for the honest feedback. I'll work on not being defensive when I know you are all trying to be helpful. I thought about going back to my prescribing doctor.. but I really don't know what he will be able to do. Of course, if I don't pay, he doesn't have the time of day for me. Services here aren't covered by Insurance (at least in my city, no doctor participates).. so everything is OOP. I guess I'd rather talk to all of you for support, than pay $160.00 for 15 minutes and another Rx of Suboxone.

Thanks again for the feedback, It's very appreciated and makes me feel a little less alone.

--Brd82

Dago,

Thanks; I really do appreciate it and the positive reinforcement definitely means alot!

Like I replied to Ryan, I take ya'lls warnings and understand exactly what you mean. I don't want to trade one Legal addiction for another Legal one. The goal is to stop taking opiates.. not formulate an addiction to another type of opiate.

Like I mentioned, it's been quite a few days for me, since I've taken either of the Vicodin or Suboxone. I could never imagine taking 8mg of Suboxone a day.. yuck. The stuff makes me feel gross and sick to my stomach. I did need it (very much so) for the first couple of days, but after my mental 'want' for Vicodin went away, so did the need to take the Suboxone.

I guess since I don't know alot about the overall effects of the Suboxone, I've just told myself that it's there in 'case of emergencies'.. which may not be totally logical, but it just makes me remember that it's not there to get high from, and that it really doesn't make me feel good. I also write myself a note when the thought even crosses my mind, so that the next time I'm like "oh, maybe it will help me feel a little better" - I can remember why I'm working towards the goal that I am.

I wish there was a way to "speed up" the detox process though (haha, I'm sure I won't be saying that when I'm deep in the middle of it).. but I really just want to be on the other side of this mess. At this point (though it's only been a week) I have zero inclination to take anything, Vicodin or anything else.. and I feel really good about that.

One thing I left out of my last post, was the anxiety fits that I'm getting.. I guess that's normal? Not sure, but it's new to me, and I'm not really used to it. I do have xanax, but they make me feel terrible too (but of course help with the anxiousness).. but I haven't resorted to taking those.

Thank you again, I do appreciate everything and like I said, I'll be better about taking your replies as they are intended.

It's all good Brd! I understand you have a lot on your plate. There really isn't a easy way to get the devil out of your system without feeling it. Sounds like your doing pretty good though.

You want it over ASAP...well keep doing what your doing! Thats the fastest way out of this. Zero opiates and time will get you feeling better. Do some cardio if you can. Go for a walk or whatever. Anything to get your brain going. It will help your energy and the anxiety. You will feel good while your doing at least and it will take up a chunk of time too. Do it as much as you can, you can kill a few hours a day. Especially if your off the next few days.

Btw..I'm happy and proud of you for not messing with subs. All the stuff you mentioned is from the detox. If you just stay strong and try to relax, you can do this Brd. If you can just wing it through the next few days on your trip your pretty much home free. I understand it's freaking you out but man, you only have to do this one time. If you feel off, just tell people you don't feel well. They will understand. When your meeting are over or whatever your doing, just go lay in the room and relax.

By the time you make it home you will be a new person! You can do it Brd82!

=) Thanks man. I know what I want out of life... and a life of dulled, hermit-like existence is not what I dreamt my life would be.

I'll get thru this, I Just have to adjust to feeling 'meh' for a while. The last 2 years on Vic's has made me feel "meh" almost every day, so if I only have to endure 2 - 3 weeks of it.. then I would consider myself lucky, lol. I just have to keep telling my self that, when the discomfort makes me say to myself "why go thru this ???? when you can feel ?????? on Vicodin". My Dr said I have a very rational and logical way of thinking and that I have a much better thought/approach to this situation than most.. but that I'm trying to think logically about an illogical illness.

Lol. I just want to be better. I'm gonna keep doin what I'm doin. I feel better already just being able to talk to others about it.

Brd,

It's pretty cool your ready to move past this and get the real you back. If you read around you see a lot of people going through a lot more then just 10 days of detox. There is a mental phase that comes after that too. That will also go away with time. I know you just want to get this over with and get on with life..we all do!

Your length of time using and your doc are both similar to mine. I think I said this to you before, living your life without the pills takes a lot of getting used to. Everything we've done the last ten years or so has been high on pills. Right now it's pretty easy to say you hate pills. Your just trying to get better and the pills caused all this, you never want one again, I know.

You will probably go through some uncomfortable moments in the next month or so. Trying to find your way again. It happens to just about everyone if you read around. Even after all that we can still get better. If you can believe this or not, after all the pain we go through, this addiction is so strong that your brain can still tell you that just more more is ok.

I guess what I'm getting at is, this thing is a big deal. A lot of people here have years and years clean from opiates. It can be done! This is a big fight though Brd. Maybe the biggest of your life. It's definitely the biggest for me. Sometimes letting your friends or family know isn't always a bad thing. You would be surprised how people react. If people love and care about you they just want you to get better. Having support here and at home will help you get through the tough times. This isn't something you just sweep under the rug and it's all forgotten in two weeks. I thought that way for years. Thought once I was clean I was good to go. Kept things on the DL and tried to never miss a beat. After years of relapsing I did figure out how big this addiction thing is. I just wasn't ready to face all the hard work until now.

I'll tell you though man, when you do start snapping out of it and those bad feelings start to lift...it beautiful! Even if it comes and goes for a while, it's a great feeling. It's like you get snap shots of what life will be like again! It really gives you the push too keep going. Because you want that feeling again so bad. To sum it up, it's bigger than a detox, it can be done, and it would probably help you if you had some friends or fam on board with you. So your not alone like you said.

That's just how I felt when I got started. I cut all the people out who could possibly bring me down. Let everyone I thought would back me know about it. If anyone did judge me or get mad....screw them....I'm trying to save my life here! That's all you should care about. think about that if you want. Like I said, you would be surprised how much people will back you when you are honest.

Alright Brd....keep us posted dude.

Ryan
    Last edited by ddcmod; 04-02-2012 at 12:43 AM.
    detroit_boi and brd82 like this.

Hey Ryan,

Hope you are having a great week!

I have to tell you, maybe I just got lucky, or tapered off things "just right".. but I haven't had a really big "BAD" day (or days) to go thru. I noticed that I have had to use some of the Suboxone, but I've been cutting the strips into 1/4th's.. so it's very small doses that i'm taking, if any. I have been fine for the past 5 days, and today I had to take a small bit.. and I'm fine again. I am out of town again all next week, and I don't even take the Suboxone with me; so that makes me a little anxious, but glad that I don't have to worry about 'needing' something while gone.

Overall, things have been fine. A little sluggish some days, but no real pain. I have had times where I just didn't feel like myself and I really wondered if it was worth going through all this; but in the end I continue on my path and feel fine after my little spell is over with.

This will be week 3; I'm happy as all can be that the Vicodin habit is done for good. I haven't even wanted it back (despite wondering if this is worth it all). The Sub has TRULY been a "break in case of emergency" type product.. and it has been a great help in the 2 times I have needed it. And even then, it's been such a small amount and then I've not taken it again for 5 or 6 days without incident.

I'm hoping I'm close to getting past this whole mess. I know the mental habit or rooted-want for the Opiates will be there, but I really hope that the topical "wanting" of the stuff is done. Each day I feel a little bit better.. and the world looks a little less sad. I've had a few bad emotional days, and really no one to talk to about it all.. so that really sucked... the Dr. I was seeing for the Sub rX is way expensive, so I've had to not-see him.. and getting insurance reimbursement is a PITA (and I don't get anywhere near what he bills me, in return). My poor Psychologist has to listen to all this on a weekly basis, lol. SO at least I have that.

I'll keep you posted; but again, so far so good. I'm truckin along.. and keeping busy with work really does help.

Thanks for your help and support!

--Thundr101
    Last edited by ddcmod; 04-02-2012 at 12:44 AM.

Cool

Hey Ryan,

So, going on almost 2 months and I'm completely past this... couldn't be happier. Sub's gone, Vic's gone, "Helper" meds gone... it's awesome.

I do get alot of headaches.. which I used to get, and the Vic's helped with.. so that part sucks, but whatever... I'm not on the Vic's which is nice.

Thanks again for all the support and feedback. I don't think I could have done this alone.

Peace;

Brd

Quote Originally Posted by dago77 View Post
    Brd,

It's pretty cool your ready to move past this and get the real you back. If you read around you see a lot of people going through a lot more then just 10 days of detox. There is a mental phase that comes after that too. That will also go away with time. I know you just want to get this over with and get on with life..we all do!

Your length of time using and your doc are both similar to mine. I think I said this to you before, living your life without the pills takes a lot of getting used to. Everything we've done the last ten years or so has been high on pills. Right now it's pretty easy to say you hate pills. Your just trying to get better and the pills caused all this, you never want one again, I know.

You will probably go through some uncomfortable moments in the next month or so. Trying to find your way again. It happens to just about everyone if you read around. Even after all that we can still get better. If you can believe this or not, after all the pain we go through, this addiction is so strong that your brain can still tell you that just more more is ok.

I guess what I'm getting at is, this thing is a big deal. A lot of people here have years and years clean from opiates. It can be done! This is a big fight though Brd. Maybe the biggest of your life. It's definitely the biggest for me. Sometimes letting your friends or family know isn't always a bad thing. You would be surprised how people react. If people love and care about you they just want you to get better. Having support here and at home will help you get through the tough times. This isn't something you just sweep under the rug and it's all forgotten in two weeks. I thought that way for years. Thought once I was clean I was good to go. Kept things on the DL and tried to never miss a beat. After years of relapsing I did figure out how big this addiction thing is. I just wasn't ready to face all the hard work until now.

I'll tell you though man, when you do start snapping out of it and those bad feelings start to lift...it beautiful! Even if it comes and goes for a while, it's a great feeling. It's like you get snap shots of what life will be like again! It really gives you the push too keep going. Because you want that feeling again so bad. To sum it up, it's bigger than a detox, it can be done, and it would probably help you if you had some friends or fam on board with you. So your not alone like you said.

That's just how I felt when I got started. I cut all the people out who could possibly bring me down. Let everyone I thought would back me know about it. If anyone did judge me or get mad....screw them....I'm trying to save my life here! That's all you should care about. think about that if you want. Like I said, you would be surprised how much people will back you when you are honest.

Alright Brd....keep us posted dude.

Ryan

beliteweight is offline New Member

This is not a major problem, just visit to the doctor who will after check up suggest you the best to do. I think for few days those drugs have to be left and then can continue. Sometimes it happens that because of regular drug inhalation this kind of problem emerge. So don't worry and get suggestion from a good doctor.

tommydog is offline New Member

I am new here. I have significant pain issues and have been taking 120 mg of morphine sulphate for over ten years. my Dr. won't refill my script, He's an ass. Anyway I am being forced to go on sub. The addiction Med. Dr. Says he can do it in three weeks. My questions are:Is that realistic, What do I do if my pain is too much, And am I better off tapering down before I start? please help!

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tommydog View Post
    I am new here. I have significant pain issues and have been taking 120 mg of morphine sulphate for over ten years. my Dr. won't refill my script, He's an ass. Anyway I am being forced to go on sub. The addiction Med. Dr. Says he can do it in three weeks. My questions are:Is that realistic, What do I do if my pain is too much, And am I better off tapering down before I start? please help!
    hi tommydog. read the link i am posting here, it tells you everything you need to know on how to switch. and yeh you would be doing yourself a favour if you can taper to a lower amount before switching. but read the link and make sure you print out a COWS worksheet, and then follow the correct induction method.
    be aware most doctors start us off on far too high a dose. if you induct as per the link, you will have a good chance of starting on a low dose to get stable, and then taper from there.

subs are also known for not being as good for pain as other opiates. but you will be able to judge your pain once you are opiate free. lots of time we get rebound pain, from actually being on the opiate and going into withdrawl many times a day.
    http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...tml#post220161

i switched from methadone to subs in 09, and stayed on subs over a year. but i got off them and havent touched them for over 18 months now. so yeh, its possible to get off drugs. and subs are a good tool to help us do this.

tommydog is offline New Member

Thank you for answering Robert. I am so scared that I will be hooked on sub and not be able to kick it because of my pain issues.

Anonymous Guest

haha my name is cheeky not robert. jeez

cntrymama37 is offline Junior Member

I was convinced by my md 4 months ago to try subutex for pain. I have huge issues with side effects of meds esp. Opiates. Even the tiniest dose will put me in bed sick as adog for days. I have wanted to take NOTHING except for the occasional ibuprofen or try celebrex. 3 docs on my team say no. My pain, according to them causes my new symptoms of panic, depression and anxiety. I tried antidepressants and again baby dose of zoloft sent me to ICU on xmas in seratonin syndrome. I finally called my doc today at the end of my rope. I have been taking 1mg of subutex max for 4months. I have had nausea headaches, more anxiety (they decided i needed long term valium for...which i argue at every visit). I have been suicidal which is a NEW feeling for me. I am loosing control and I keep insisting it has to be the drugs but 3 different docs say no way. My sub doc said to stop and try tramadol instead. Im more freaked after reading withdrawal stories of subs an dtramadol. I had a disc replacement that needs revision to a fusion in my neck. I swear after I take the subs my pain seems worse..like a hyperalgia effect. ( yes Im a nurse..was a working er nurse until a year ago since my accident). I need my sanity/life back. I feel like subs are slowly killing me mentallybandphysically. I have pain now in every joint, swelling hands and feet. Constant anxiety, frequent crying spells, suicidal thoughts and extreme agitation. I was in excellent shape,active, full time er rn in an inner city trauma 2 hospital. I am now stuck in this hell. I dont know what to do but my goal and desire is NO drugs. I have never wanted,craved or had addiction type urges except for needing a drink after a bad day(trust me anyone would if they had my job).
    Im at the very end of my rope and feel hopeless.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Hi: cntrymama: Your case is not hopeless. First of all read Robert's taper for the subutex under the stickies on "featured drugs". Second: go to the suboxone forum and start a thread. It's hard to new posters under old threads. When you first get to the suboxone forum, on the blue bar just before the threads, there will be a heading "thread starter" click that and start your own thread there. Please don't abrubtly stop the subs, they have a long half life. I'll be looking back at this thread, but really post on the suboxone thread in prescription drug addiction. That way more people will see your post and you will get excellent advice there.

Peace,

Iloerose

P.S. this is not hopeless. Hang Tough, just like you have been! Amazing that you've come so far with your pain.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011