Suboxone: Insurance concerns
    cOsMiCtRiGgEr is offline Member

Default Suboxone: Insurance concerns

Hello all,

I am going to the doc today for suboxone. I have insurance but am considering not using it for the prescription. The doc doesn't take it. From what I've heard the prescription can be quite expensive. I am wondering how the instance works. Is this something I need to keep off my insurance record? Would they send anything to my house detailing the meds I have purchased using the insurance? I live at home and need to avoid, at all costs, my folks discovering this. Any info would be appreciated. Ive heard that my first months prescription can cost as much as $700 without insurance!! Is this true? Thanks..

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Prescription costs depend on the quantity of meds, whether you get the generic buprenorphine, film strips, or whatever, there are all kinds of variables. I would use my insurance if it were me. That's my choice however not yours. God bless,
    Last edited by Robert_325; 03-05-2012 at 10:05 AM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Suboxowned is offline Member

Also, if you can't afford the whole quantity the Dr prescribed you, you can get a partial fill. I have had to do this in the past. If the Dr. Rx me 30 pills, I would buy 6 each time. In Illinois, you are only allowed 5 partial refills throughout the life of the script.
    Good luck.

cOsMiCtRiGgEr is offline Member

Thanks for the input guys. I just ended up paying cash. My appointment was $200 and for 25 8mg strips it cost me $187.50. So for just under $400 I have almost all I need. After the induction.. I'm certain I will need to go back for my follow-up next week to get the full month prescription. I probably won't need the whole amount.. So I'll get the partial next time. The way I see it.. This is WAYYYYY cheaper than what the oxy and methadone have been costing me.. Which was about $100/day conservatively estimating. I just didn't want my insurance company to have this on file... As it's through my work. I'm sure HIPPA laws protect me but I didn't want to take a chance. My follow up appt is $100 and I figure another couple hundred for the perception... To get my life back that's NOTHING! especially weighed against all the money I would be spending for the rest of years... It's miniscule. I'm just so happy it's working out this way... Everything is really falling into place for me... Absolutely elated!