Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By numbOne
  • 1 Post By numbOne
  • 1 Post By IN4ITTTT
Started Suboxone, is it safe with Klonopin?
    emthernandez is offline New Member

Question Started Suboxone, is it safe with Klonopin?

I took my first dose of Suboxone 8mg/2mg, I am addicted to Tramadol, I didnt even know it was addictive. I took it for knee pain. When my father passed away 5 months ago I kept taking it more and more and noticed I felt so good on it. That turned into a bad addiction! I dont care what anyone says, I thought I was going to die going cold turkey one weekend. I also take klonopin. I have been cleared by my Psychiatrist, the other Psychiatrist in the office, my Primary Care doctor and my pharmacist to take the suboxone while on the klonopin. My first dose made me very dizzy and drowsy but it eased the withdrawal symptoms period! Ive been reading alot of conflicting information of the danger of Suboxone with klonopin, that left me with a panic attack, not being able to breathe because I was so scared of taking a klonopin hours after I took the suboxone! I wish more healthcare professional would comment on this. I stopped the tramadol for 24 hours before I took the suboxone and the withdrawal symptoms were intense. I was prescribed to take it 3 times a day as a sublingual film, so far I got through the day with one film. Tomorrow I am going to take one film again and klonopin at night. So far I feel fine. I do feel some side effects but again, the withdrawal symptoms are so much worse!!

numbOne is offline Member

Hi emthernandez,

Many Drs prescribe the Klonopin along with suboxone so it is safe. Just be mindful that as a Benzo it is extremely hard to come off and must be done properly.

Please check out this thread posted by Robert325. It is a guide many use to get off subs properly. It sounds like you were very smart to only take the one film. http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html
    emthernandez likes this.

Kikker is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by emthernandez View Post
    I took my first dose of Suboxone 8mg/2mg, I am addicted to Tramadol, I didnt even know it was addictive. I took it for knee pain. When my father passed away 5 months ago I kept taking it more and more and noticed I felt so good on it. That turned into a bad addiction! I dont care what anyone says, I thought I was going to die going cold turkey one weekend. I also take klonopin. I have been cleared by my Psychiatrist, the other Psychiatrist in the office, my Primary Care doctor and my pharmacist to take the suboxone while on the klonopin. My first dose made me very dizzy and drowsy but it eased the withdrawal symptoms period! Ive been reading alot of conflicting information of the danger of Suboxone with klonopin, that left me with a panic attack, not being able to breathe because I was so scared of taking a klonopin hours after I took the suboxone! I wish more healthcare professional would comment on this. I stopped the tramadol for 24 hours before I took the suboxone and the withdrawal symptoms were intense. I was prescribed to take it 3 times a day as a sublingual film, so far I got through the day with one film. Tomorrow I am going to take one film again and klonopin at night. So far I feel fine. I do feel some side effects but again, the withdrawal symptoms are so much worse!!
    NO, u absolutely DO NOT want to be taking any kind of benzo along with subs! and any doctor that knows anything about subs would NEVER prescribe or recommend the two of them be taken together. ur asking for HUGE problems by doing that. go to sleep and not wake up because ur breathing has slow to the point of no return is very possible. Never take subs and benzo's together.

and u are most likely feeling dizzy and drowsy because the sub dose it too high. that 8 mgs is a HUGE dose of sub. it's a very strong and powerful drug. all things being equal it's about 30 times more powerful than morphine! u can get addictied to subs because they are opaites just like any other drug.

click on that link that numbOne gave u and learn how the sub therapy plan works that most use here. if u have any ustions come back and post. we are all here to help, and u should definitely read around the entire forum and learn as much as possible about both subs and benzo's. just because a doctor says it's ok to use both together doesn't mean it's right! u can learn here from people that have actually used both meds, and have safely gotten off both also. hope this helps and u come back for help. much better not having to worry about addicitive substances in ur life!

Kikker

Kikker, I respect all of your postings i see on this site. However, i have to slightly disagree here. Please Correct me if i am wrong. Now i do not know the amount of Klonopin that is being taken here, but i do see that it is already regularly being taken - so which would you reccommend for emthernandez to stop taking, the Sub or the Klonopin? I understand larger amounts could impact respiratory and i know the Drs are often full of it - but i have seen so many threads where Docs prescribe them together, actually Klonopin more often than other benzos so figured they couldnt all be wrong...

anyway let me know what you think please
    ~ #one

Quote Originally Posted by numbOne View Post
    Kikker, I respect all of your postings i see on this site. However, i have to slightly disagree here. Please Correct me if i am wrong. Now i do not know the amount of Klonopin that is being taken here, but i do see that it is already regularly being taken - so which would you reccommend for emthernandez to stop taking, the Sub or the Klonopin? I understand larger amounts could impact respiratory and i know the Drs are often full of it - but i have seen so many threads where Docs prescribe them together, actually Klonopin more often than other benzos so figured they couldnt all be wrong...

anyway let me know what you think please
    Hendo. nice to meet u! u have every right to disagree, and i have no problem with that. i also respect ur opinion just as much as anyone else's. but if i see something that has potential lethal results for someone i have to speak up. i don't know everything either and hope i don't come across that way. but i do know subs, and i certainly know benzo's very, very well. almost died from them twice.

unfortunately most people take the word of their doctor for everything. they can make mistakes at times. i'm not on a doctor-bashing rant here, but i promise u that MOST of these SUB doctors have no idea how subs should be used, and hand it out in massive doses. not every sub doctor is ill-informed of course, but i dare say most of them are. it's quit common to have several people on the forum at the same time that thier sub doc has prescribed them to take doses such as 12 -32 mgs of subs per day, and they want their patients on it for loooong periods of time, even life in some cases. then they come here and try to get off it and it becomes an issue.

sub is one extremely strong opiate Hendo. combine that with a benzo (which can be a problem itself), and the problems pootentially begin. it's just too dangerous to chance in my opinion. And both my sub doctor (which did have excellent knowledge of subs), and my personal physician would NEVER have me take both together.

You mentioned u had "seen so many threads where Doc's prescribe them together" and I believe u, i just haven't seen more than a couple i guess. and when i do i always try and let that person know the dangers of mixing the two together as i have here. and i do know that if one of those does pop up someone else with knowledge of both drugs will always post the same info as i'm giving u here basically. i'm know there are other members here that know what i'm telling u is correct. if i wasn't positive, i wouldn't say it, and based on my experience, and the experience of others, i'm positive taking sub and benzo's together is dangerous, and possibly life-threatening.

You asked what i would recommend that emthernandez stop taking, the sub or the Klonopin? what i would suggest in this case is for her to continue with both, and very, very SLOWLY taper from the klonopin WITH a doctors help as it's very dangerous to stop any benzo too quickly. She may need to seek the services of another doctor in this case that knows the dangers of BOTH these drugs together. in my opinion she is already taking waaaay too much sub with the 8 mg she took. and her "doctor" told her to take it 3 TIMES A DAY also! that's crazy! i'm positive that dose could be lowerd by a large amount. she needs to stop at that 8 mg dose, and begin tapering shortly in my opinion.

anyway, i hope i answered some of ur concerns. have a great day and weekend!

Kikker

Thankyou numberOne for the reply and link, is there a suboxone film that is less than 8mg/2mg? I took one film for the first 2 days and it worked great, along with that I took 2 mg of klonopin at night, felt fine. However, I took the film this morning and after about 2 hours my chest felt heavy, and pressure, slight difficulty breathing, It wasnt severe but enough that it made me uncomfortable. I took a walk outside because they have been working in my apartment to remove mold which I am allergic to and I thought it was that. I took benadryl last night because they were working in the apartment. I called my doctor but he is in session and hasnt called me back. I have seen quite a few post where people are taking the same dose prescribed to me and more and then they taper off. That makes me sketchy on all the post of the Sub being too much or mixing benzos with Sub, I felt fine like I said the first 2 days.
    Hi emthernandez,

Many Drs prescribe the Klonopin along with suboxone so it is safe. Just be mindful that as a Benzo it is extremely hard to come off and must be done properly.

Please check out this thread posted by Robert325. It is a guide many use to get off subs properly. It sounds like you were very smart to only take the one film. http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html

Emthernandez, You are very welcome! The only strip/film of suboxone that i am aware of is the 8MG. I have also used pills which i believe were 6 Mg but preferred the film. I have a few strips left and can tell you that it reads on the upper left corner NDC 12496-1208-1 and says 8 mg/2mg. What you are writing scares the hell out of me - especially after what Kikker just said. Beacuse i am not an expert and the possibility of death here - i would not wait for a return call from your Doctor. I would get on the phone immediately and speak to at least 3 different Pharmacists. They are usually readily available to answer questions about drug interactions. What i can say with near certainty is that 8MG is more than enough of the sub. Im going to hit send now as i hope you see this post soon so you can contact a professional, but post back here so we all can begin helping you more.

Kikker, Thank you so much for speaking up. I am so glad that you did! I would hate to give anyone poor advice especially considering poor advice in this case could be lethal! I am experienced with teh subs and understand how powerful they are, i also did take benzos with sub, i took xanex, Klonopin, soma and valium all at different times. I never experienced any respiratory issues but i am fairly healthy and also i never took any benzo long eneough to develop any physical dependence. I would only take whichever was available at the moment to get through the night or an extremely anxious type event. I have come to understand the importance of good advice especially on this and i am concerned that i've done a disservice, but i don't want to be too hesitant as sometimes people just want some type of feedback, but i really will try to lay off or at least be more careful. Thanks again for the explanation and i hope you are having a good weekend as well.

Hi im here just to let you know
    Emthernandez, You are very welcome! The only strip/film of suboxone that i am aware of is the 8MG. I have also used pills which i believe were 6 Mg but preferred the film. I have a few strips left and can tell you that it reads on the upper left corner NDC 12496-1208-1 and says 8 mg/2mg. What you are writing scares the hell out of me - especially after what Kikker just said. Beacuse i am not an expert and the possibility of death here - i would not wait for a return call from your Doctor. I would get on the phone immediately and speak to at least 3 different Pharmacists. They are usually readily available to answer questions about drug interactions. What i can say with near certainty is that 8MG is more than enough of the sub. Im going to hit send now as i hope you see this post soon so you can contact a professional, but post back here so we all can begin helping you more.

Kikker, Thank you so much for speaking up. I am so glad that you did! I would hate to give anyone poor advice especially considering poor advice in this case could be lethal! I am experienced with teh subs and understand how powerful they are, i also did take benzos with sub, i took xanex, Klonopin, soma and valium all at different times. I never experienced any respiratory issues but i am fairly healthy and also i never took any benzo long eneough to develop any physical dependence. I would only take whichever was available at the moment to get through the night or an extremely anxious type event. I have come to understand the importance of good advice especially on this and i am concerned that i've done a disservice, but i don't want to be too hesitant as sometimes people just want some type of feedback, but i really will try to lay off or at least be more careful. Thanks again for the explanation and i hope you are having a good weekend as well.

Im going to call my pharmacist right now, I used my husbands oxygen mask for about an hour to breathe and it helped tremendously. I am so glad i came on here, I think the suboxone is too much at 8mg and Im almost convinced its depressing my respiratory system, I am an EMT and I see patients in respitory distress all the time and these are the symptoms, I have seen my share of opiate ODs

I hope others can read this and get help, I spoke to my pharmacist and she believes its the mold in my apartment causing my breathing problems, especially since I am ok im my bedroom where there is no mold, I just spoke to my doctor and he also is more concerned about the mold problem being the cause of my respiratory problems, I was told to leave my apartment and stay somewhere where I am sure there is no mold. I am to take the suboxone and see if this happens again. If it happens again my doctor is going to switch me to a lower dose tablet, also the pharmacist said I can cut the suboxone strip an take a smaller dose. The film only comes in 8mg/2mg but the tablets come in less mg. Because I have had mold problems in my apartment before and I have had to stay with my mother due to my allergies to mold Im going to take my pharmacist and doctors advice and sleep at my mothers and take the suboxone again and see what happens. I will have my EMT and Paramedic friends on stand by just in case. If my husbands CPAP machine helped me breathe better which is just pure oxygen Im thinking the mold has a role here! But I hope learning that the films can be cut and taken less can help someone. Im going to continue posting updates on how I feel
    Im going to call my pharmacist right now, I used my husbands oxygen mask for about an hour to breathe and it helped tremendously. I am so glad i came on here, I think the suboxone is too much at 8mg and Im almost convinced its depressing my respiratory system, I am an EMT and I see patients in respitory distress all the time and these are the symptoms, I have seen my share of opiate ODs

If it happens again my doctor is going to switch me to a lower dose tablet, also the pharmacist said I can cut the suboxone strip an take a smaller dose. The film only comes in 8mg/2mg but the tablets come in less mg.
    i'm sorry but that is not true about the sub film coming in ONLY 8 mg doses. sub has film that reads 8 mg/2 mg......and also 2 mg/ 0.5 mg and that is a fact! i have had and used both and i promise u i am correct!

i think u are confused by how the numbers read so i will explain it for u.

the film that reads 8 mg/2 mg means that there is 8 mg of Buprenorphine in it, and 2 mg of Naloxone also in it. the Buprenorphine is the "active" ingrediant in subs, and the Naloxone is put in simply to deter abuse by IV addicts and snorting this drug.

the 2 mg/0.5 mg means that film has 2 mg of the Buprenorphine in it, and 0.5 mg of the Naloxone. both the 8 mg film and the 2 mg film is exactly the same size. this makes the 2 mg film much easier to cut into smaller doses.

i guarantee u i am correct in what i say here. check with the pharmacy again, or any worthwhile sub doctor and they will certainly agree with that.

hope this helps. i will be happy to help u with ur sub therapy if u wish. i'm on and off here at different times, but expect to be here more often soon. if i can help just let me know

tablets come the same way as the film does.

Kikker

Emthernandez,

I am very happy kikker signed in here to explain the the different sub doses available for you. I am also very happy that your care providers were able to provide some answer for the mold affecting your breathing!

Cutting the strips is very common. The reason i preferred the strips is that it was much easier to measure the cuts from film and get it close to exact then it was cuting a pill. It is actually a necessity as stated the 8MG strip is more than enough medicine!! You should fold that strip in half and cut it in 1/2 Then fold each of the halves again and cut them so you will have so you wil then have four 2MG pieces. Actually what i would do is is cut one full strip in 1/2 then do as suggested for the other. Tomorrow when you expect to take your reccommnded dose again, take the one full strip you cut in half so you have 4mg There, then take the other strip theat you cut into 2mg pieces and take one of them with that 4mg half - so your first goal here is to start taking 6 MG total for the day.

Although the Mold may well be the issue, the different drugs are not helping and you are creating less than ideal situation for your respiratory system. Please be cautious and don't think you are out of the woods just yet once the mold is removed or you are away from it. This whole situation sounds so very dangerous i am really worried here and hesitant to advise - fortunately you have that machine to help as well as EMT and Paramdedic friends to look over you.

Kikker I appreciate your replies and i will call again for the lesser film, but i will tell you the way you come off on here is by far understanding, it seems to me as if you have a point to prove then say you are here to help, I think you need to be more sensitive in your reply and be more geared to helping than proving or disproving someone, im posting the info Im given and i will ask again about the lesser dose film, but be nice, people here are looking for others support!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kikker View Post
    i'm sorry but that is not true about the sub film coming in ONLY 8 mg doses. sub has film that reads 8 mg/2 mg......and also 2 mg/ 0.5 mg and that is a fact! i have had and used both and i promise u i am correct!

i think u are confused by how the numbers read so i will explain it for u.

the film that reads 8 mg/2 mg means that there is 8 mg of Buprenorphine in it, and 2 mg of Naloxone also in it. the Buprenorphine is the "active" ingrediant in subs, and the Naloxone is put in simply to deter abuse by IV addicts and snorting this drug.

the 2 mg/0.5 mg means that film has 2 mg of the Buprenorphine in it, and 0.5 mg of the Naloxone. both the 8 mg film and the 2 mg film is exactly the same size. this makes the 2 mg film much easier to cut into smaller doses.

i guarantee u i am correct in what i say here. check with the pharmacy again, or any worthwhile sub doctor and they will certainly agree with that.

hope this helps. i will be happy to help u with ur sub therapy if u wish. i'm on and off here at different times, but expect to be here more often soon. if i can help just let me know

tablets come the same way as the film does.

Kikker

Kikker I appreciate your replies and i will call again for the lesser film, but i will tell you the way you come off on here is by far understanding, it seems to me as if you have a point to prove then say you are here to help, I think you need to be more sensitive in your reply and be more geared to helping than proving or disproving someone, im posting the info Im given and i will ask again about the lesser dose film, but be nice, people here are looking for others support!
    Emthernandez, Kikker corrected what i wrote here becuase it was neccesary to do so. It is imperative that people give proper advice here and it really scared me to think i could have told you something that could have been fatal. I do not mind being told i am wrong about something when that something could affect a life.
    Thank You tho and i agree it is important we are all very sensitive to each as it is a difficult time we are all going thru.
    Hey how are they going about removingthe mold? How did you find out is was there in the first place, was it visible?
    I hope you are feeling better as i post this
    Kikker likes this.

IN4ITTTT is offline Senior Member

Hi emther...
    I just felt the need to post something to you that may have been misunderstood? Kikker
    is actually one of the most caring, understanding, sensitive and KNOWLEDGEABLE people on this forum. You can't ask for better help in him. I have never ever heard anyone ever tell him he needs to "be nice" or that he is trying more to make a point. I assure you, he has NOTHING but good intentions. Maybe your just new here and don't see that Kikker is one of the people on this forum you WANT to help you. Read some of his posts. If you came here looking for help, you found one of the best.(IF he's still willing to help you) He's been a HUGE source of help to many including me, and has knowledge of this disease and subs that few possess. If you knew him the way I do, you'd know he is 100% genuine. I think you totally misread his intentions. Thats unfortunate. You couldnt be more wrong about how he operates here. Good luck to you.

Lisa
    Kikker likes this.

are u really serious??? do u really think that of me???

ur right when u say i have a point to prove....i'm trying hard to PROVE to u that several doctors, and the pharmacy are ALL giving u incorrect info concerning subs and benzo's. i'm trying to let u know taking subs and benzo's together is extremely dangerous.

i'm also trying to PROVE to u someone at the pharmacy is incorrect about what they say about subs coming in only one dose. i'm just trying to help is all. and YES, i'm very passionate about this forum, and the people i try to help. when i know for a fact thru education, knowledge, and experience the info you have reported may be wrong i ususally speak up and try my best to make it known what is right, and what may be incorrect, and/or harmful.

sorry to hear u think i need to be "nice" when we're dealing with life and death issues here. i would think u would WANT to be told how it really is.....to be told what u NEED to hear, not what u WANT to hear. perhaps not. i CAN tell u another thing for certain here concerning me, and my personality......i am probably one of the nicest guys u will ever meet. i'd do anything for u. ask around. and after many, many posts on this forum this is the VERY FIRST TIME i have ever been accused of the things u say. might want to take a few minutes and read around the forum.

no problem, sorry u feel that way emthernandez. only trying to help here. i hope u get thru this, i really and truly do.

have a great day!

Kikker

plzfreeme is offline Member

Hi. I think plenty of Drs prescribe sub and benzos because they're clueless. Plenty of drs also prescribe 24mg of sub. Yikes! First thing that jumped out at me (real estate experience here) is if your apartment has mold. As in the toxic mold, sleeping in your bedroom will do nothing to alleviate a mold reaction. Mold spores are airborne. Also, were you feeling these problems before the sub and klonopin? Because I'd think the mold would have been given you symptoms all along. Secondly, when you post here the answers or guidance you get may not always be what you want to hear. Kikker is trying to help you. My suggestion is to find a dr who knows sub. Really knows it. My one benzo prescription on sub was for an airplane ride. One Valium and my dr said point blank to make sure my husband knew so if I showed signs of problems they could help. I chickened out on the Valium and took Benadryl instead. If you're dependent on the benzos I'd work on slowly tapering down. Pls don't quit them suddenly. Good luck.
    My last dose of sub was 12noon on 12/26/12. I'm free!!!

emther,

Please don't allow any forum mumbo jumbo get in the way of you posting, seeking help and your recovery.
    We are ALL just doing our best here and it's good to get as much info as you can - as stated teh Dr's and pharmacists do not always have all the answers...it takes a village...or a forum too!

Hope you post back soon with an update.

Chuck_nyc is offline New Member

This is an easy one. Benzodiazepines and opiates are a potentially dangerous combination. There is a risk of death if you mix these two classes of drug, mainly from respiratory depression.

I would not recommend taking both at the same time, even if you are on low doses of each. In the United States, there are hundreds of accidental deaths every year from this combination. I would be very careful..

Why do you take a benzodiazepine? There is a whole board of people (including myself) who got addicted to these horrible drugs and went though agonizing withdrawal.

If you suffer from anxiety, the first-line therapy is SSRI (like prozac) and psychotherapy.