Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Robert_325
Robert_325 Can you please advise me regarding Suboxone
    Donewthislife is offline New Member

Default Robert_325 Can you please advise me regarding Suboxone

Hi Robert

I had posted on another thread yesterday looking for you and didnt get a reaponse so I decided to create a thread and see if you could possibly help me or guide me as to what I should do. I am hoping you can help me and I am willing to do anything that you tell me to do. I hate this evil drug and the pain it has caused me and my family over the past 2.5 years and just want to be sober again, even though it was such a difficult experience this past year. I'd rather deal with the depression and life on lifes terms than be controlled by opiates. I attend AA meetings daily and I feel like I have been lying to myself and my fellowship this past week by not saying I was taking subs. So here's my story in a nutshell.

I was clean and sober for 352 days from a 15month long, 600mg Oxycodone habit. I wound up picking up for 6days two weeks ago. I used a total of 15 Oxycodone tabs insufflated over the six days and caught a habit. Instead of going thru withdrawals like a "bigboy" I decided to call my doctor and get Sunoxone. I know stupid move, but I had some family function coming up and I couldn't be ill for it. I got a script of 10 8mg tabs. I took 4mg immediately after receiving the script from the pharmacist. I then took another 3mg the following day, then 2mg the 3rd and 4th day. Day five I didnt take any subs. Today is day six and all I took was .5 or there about. It was a tiny piece off of a half of an 8mg tab. I am starting to feel a little anxiety and sweating and bit of naseau. I don't know if I need to be tapered off or just stop so I was wondering what the best way I should do this. I was contemplating going on Sub maintenance, but after reading the horrors of detoxing from Subs I said NO WAY, unless I was going to take them for the rest of my life. I was intrigued about Subs anti-depressant qualities, which was the only reason for my relapse. I have been battling PAWS for the past year and been on several SSRI's which haven't helped at all. I just wanted some relief from the year long battle that I had endured and just thought I could use without catching a habit. Well, I was wrong. I'm so naive when it comes to opiates and withdrawals. The only time I detoxed in the 15month run I had previously was when I entered rehab. They put me on a short Sub taper which they were giving me Catapress for anxiety and for a couple of days they gave me Utram for bodyaches. I felt like garbage for my remaining stay at the rehab but it wasn't unbearable. I never vomited or shook violently and sweated profusely, just aches and pains and anxiety, RLS chills were what I experienced mostly. SO WHAT AM I LOOKING AT in terms of withdrawals this time, with only a minor habit? I know I probably made it worse with taking the Subs, so how should I proceed?

Wow. Anybody have a comment?

Kristen1022 is offline Member

Hi! I have been on suboxone two times so far throughout the last 3 years. The first time I used suboxone was after being on oxys for over a year. I stayed on suboxone for 6 months. I had gotten down to 0.25mgs a day and was about to come off the drug, pretty much withdrawal free. However, I recently relapsed after being put on pain meds for a medical procedure. I was on pills for 3 more months. So, I opted to go back on suboxone and have been for 23 days. Finally getting back down to 0.25mgs again.

Suboxone is something I wouldn't recommend you continue considering you have only relapsed for 6 days on opiates and 5 days on suboxone. So let's say, 11 days total. From what you posted, I am gathering you were completely clean of any opiate before the relapse, correct? Since you were not on suboxone before the relapse, I would highly recommend you stay off of the suboxone. The withdrawal you are feeling after 6 days of opiate use has a large portion of psychological withdrawal attached. Six days on opiates is barely long enough for your body to establish a physical addiction. The withdrawal you will feel will be minor and will last 48-72 hours, and even so, you will only see improvement as time goes on. I promise you, this is more of a mental battle than anything.

I have a lot of experience in this department.
    Good luck to you!

Kristen1022 is offline Member

Please remember, even if you look at this as a relapse and setback, that it is okay. This happens to addicts regularly, even with long periods of being sober in between. The important thing is to recollect your thoughts and get back up again. If you dwell on the regret and anxiety that has come along with you relapsing, you may want to continue using to make yourself "feel better" in this situation. Just remember, the anxiety and not feeling well is a direct consequence of using. You'll feel better mentally and physically without the drugs.

It isn't about the relapse, it's about how you recover from the relapse after it happens.

Deep breaths, collect yourself. You can do this.

Thanks everyone. I'm just terrified of withdrawals. I took another .5 today and I'm just gna get rid of these
    Subs altogether and just deal with the WDs. I mean what else I'm I gna do at this point? I am NOT gna pick up again. It's not an option for me. I'm done beating myself up for my relapse. My family has forgiven me and so have my network. I just didn't come clean and tell them I went on subs for the past week. I actually went 2.5 days of WDs until I went to my doctor and got the subs which was Monday. I could have been done with the WDs already. I don't make the smartest decisions as you can tell. I just thought I wouldn't wd that bad if I got on subs and only used them for a short time. Whatever. Just wish me luck and I will let you all know how it goes from here.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Considering the short time you relapsed I agree with the advice you've been given. STOP taking everything, suck it up for a few days, and you will get through this okay. You may feel poorly a few days but it will not be anything you can't handle. You don't need to messing with the subs! That is my best advice. God bless.
    dizzyviz likes this.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Thanks Robert. I think I can do just that. What other choice do I have at this point!

I have read how much you have helped people and I think you are quite the remarkable person. You have helped me just by offering your advice to just man up and be done with it. Again I thank you and hopefully I will never be in need of your advice regarding Suboxone and tapering and all that good stuff. May God continue to bless you and what you do to help people that are suffering.

Quote Originally Posted by Donewthislife View Post
    Thanks Robert. I think I can do just that. What other choice do I have at this point!

I have read how much you have helped people and I think you are quite the remarkable person. You have helped me just by offering your advice to just man up and be done with it. Again I thank you and hopefully I will never be in need of your advice regarding Suboxone and tapering and all that good stuff. May God continue to bless you and what you do to help people that are suffering.

Always remember that getting and STAYING clean is a process, not an event. One little relapse doesn't take away any of the recovery you had inside you before the poor choice you made. I relapsed lots of times before I hit gold! Just pick up where you left off and don't make the same mistake again! God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Well now I experienced the saying "It's easy to get sober, the hard part is staying sober". This past year I just felt I wasnt feeling any better but, I was getting better according to my sponsor and others. What did I expect from 20yrs of having a drug in my system to cope with life. I wanted the instant gratificTion most addicts want. Unless I keep helping someone in recovery will I then again forget the pain and relapse. I know this now for sure cause us addicts have that built in FORGETTER about how bad it really was.

So Robert what am I looking at with the WDs I should be getting? I know everyone is different and it's hard to say but I'm really a big pus when it comes to being sick. I think most guys are to an extent. Lol. But based on your knowledge and gut feelings what should I expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Donewthislife View Post
    Well now I experienced the saying "It's easy to get sober, the hard part is staying sober". This past year I just felt I wasnt feeling any better but, I was getting better according to my sponsor and others. What did I expect from 20yrs of having a drug in my system to cope with life. I wanted the instant gratificTion most addicts want. Unless I keep helping someone in recovery will I then again forget the pain and relapse. I know this now for sure cause us addicts have that built in FORGETTER about how bad it really was.

So Robert what am I looking at with the WDs I should be getting? I know everyone is different and it's hard to say but I'm really a big pus when it comes to being sick. I think most guys are to an extent. Lol. But based on your knowledge and gut feelings what should I expect?

Missed your reply. By now you should be experiencing the typical opiate detox symptoms, RLS, sweating, cold chills, anxiety, lack of sleep, etc. Let me know how you're doing. We will react according to the symptoms you're experiencing. Sorry I lost you there for a couple days. I will be back online around noonish. God bless.