Question
    Smoot is offline New Member

Default Question

New to this. I have taken 60 mgs. of Methadone over the past two days. I don't take methadone regularly. I have Suboxone and want to take it in order to treat withdrawal symptoms. Can you tell me how long to wait to take the subs? Thanks in advance.

Denny_D is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Smoot View Post
    New to this. I have taken 60 mgs. of Methadone over the past two days. I don't take methadone regularly. I have Suboxone and want to take it in order to treat withdrawal symptoms. Can you tell me how long to wait to take the subs? Thanks in advance.
    Smoot .... Welcome to the forum! I am going to put the link to the thread of how we use the Subs here on the forum at the bottom of this post. You need to wait until you are in moderate to severe withdrawals BEFORE you take that very first dose of the Subs! If not you could go into what is called precipated withdrawals and they come on instantly and have the most horrible symptoms that you may ever want so that really needs to be avoided at all costs!

You need to stop taking ANYTHING whatsoever and wait until you reach the score of 26 or above on the COWS (clinical opiate withdrawal scale) sheet that is supplied within the Sub Induction and Taper Plan link at the bottom.

Please read the instructions carefully and if you have any questions at all then please come back and post again. Someone will always be here to help you all the way in your attempt to get yourself clean! I really hope this information helps you and I can certainly help if you require it. Best wishes and good luck! God Bless.....Denny

Sub Induction and Taper Plan Link and COWS Sheet

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html
    Last edited by Denny_D; 01-22-2012 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny_D View Post
    Smoot .... Welcome to the forum! I am going to put the link to the thread of how we use the Subs here on the forum at the bottom of this post. You need to wait until you are in moderate to severe withdrawals BEFORE you take that very first dose of the Subs! If not you could go into what is called precipated withdrawals and they come on instantly and have the most horrible symptoms that you may ever want so that really needs to be avoided at all costs!

You need to stop taking ANYTHING whatsoever and wait until you reach the score of 26 or above on the COWS (clinical opiate withdrawal scale) sheet that is supplied within the Sub Induction and Taper Plan link at the bottom.

Please read the instructions carefully and if you have any questions at all then please come back and post again. Someone will always be here to help you all the way in your attempt to get yourself clean! I really hope this information helps you and I can certainly help if you require it. Best wishes and good luck! God Bless.....Denny

Sub Induction and Taper Plan Link and COWS Sheet

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html
    Thanks, Denny. I have taken Subs before. I am hoping to get right this time.

rxqueen is offline Junior Member

Smoot can you provide some more info? I don't understand. If you have only taken methadone for two days; regardless of the dose, you should not feel any w/d symptoms or need to begin Sub at all. Two days of Methadone is not enough time to become physically dependant. Mentally you could fall in love, but not physically. Why are you taking Methadone? Are you prescribed? Take someone elses dose? If you've only taken it for two days the best thing to do is STOP right now, get rid of any Methadone you have, join an NA group or form a support system and do not begin any ORT (opiate replacement therapy) drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by rxqueen View Post
    Smoot can you provide some more info? I don't understand. If you have only taken methadone for two days; regardless of the dose, you should not feel any w/d symptoms or need to begin Sub at all. Two days of Methadone is not enough time to become physically dependant. Mentally you could fall in love, but not physically. Why are you taking Methadone? Are you prescribed? Take someone elses dose? If you've only taken it for two days the best thing to do is STOP right now, get rid of any Methadone you have, join an NA group or form a support system and do not begin any ORT (opiate replacement therapy) drugs.
    Sure, I got opiate dependent after breaking my ribs. Dr prescribed Roxicodone. I got addicted and went to a path that I am sure a lot here are familiar with. I got sick of trying to find pills and spend money that is better served in other areas of my life. A friend of mine gets methadone, told me to try it. I took a whole one split into two doses on Friday and a half of one yesterday. I think it is more mental than physical. I'm just going to wait.

Ok I think I got a better grasp, but if you could tell us how long you were taking the Roxicodone and what your dose was we would be able to get an even better picture. My first thoughts, you and your friend need to know methadone is a very potent, dangerous drug to the wrong person or to someone other than whom it was prescribed. I don't mean to sound like a ninny, but I overdosed on methadone and almost died and on top of that buried three friends since due to methadone overdose. One of them was just 18. Most people think a pill is a pill and a 10mg Vicodin = 10 mg of Methadone in potency. Not true.

Second, I understand addiction is addiction and no w/d from any opiod is without discomfort, fear etc BUT, if you were only taking Roxicodone, or not taking a huge amount of it for a long period of time, you may want to consider going cold turkey off it or weaning off it by doing a GDR (gradual dose reduction) instead of getting on Methadone or Suboxone. They are both great tools but on the same token they are addictive medications and not without their side effects and draw backs. Methadone I know for sure is a lot harder to kick then Vicodin or Percocet. I know this from direct experience. The worst thing I ever did was go a Methadone clinic for a Vicodin habit. I went from bad to worse. You may want to consider getting a support system going, joining N/A or A/A and speaking to your Doctor about GDR. Be honest with them and they will help you.

Don't doubt yourself, its not just mental, it is physical too. But hopefully you can see my point that it might be easier and beneficial to just kick the Perks and not switch over to Sub or Methadone. Typically these are for people who have been using for more than a year at doses much larger then prescribed or >>>>>> users. Most methadone clinics won't even take you in if you haven't been using for longer than a year.

Lastly I do hope you heed my warning, I'm not trying to rag you. Methadone is a strong, potent narcotic and it is very dangerous to take if not under the supervision of a Doctor who knows your medical history and dose. If something happened to you God forbid, your friend could get in a world of trouble and have to live with that. I know around where I live there was so much diversion of Methadone prescriptions that the people who sold their pills were being charged with the murders of the deceased by involuntary manslaughter or negligant homicide. Please, be careful.

To answer your question directly, I did a fast taper from 130 mgs of methadone to 30 mgs in a month and a half and then stopped for 72 hours before my first dose of Sub. That is where what Denny said comes into play, you need to be in w/d with a certain amount of symptoms before you take sub and I suggest you see a physician to help you get a prescription. So many people have great intentions of quitting using Sub, but they rely on others to sell them the meds and they get thrown off track when things go wrong. Also, I understand Sub therapy can be very expensive; I am blessed to have excellent insurance coverage, but I have friends who spend 15-30 dollars for one sub pill and they end up spending just as much or even more then it would cost to see a Doctor once or twice a month. It doesn't make any sense to me. If that's the case I suggest you buckle down, bite the bullet and spend the money to see a Doctor. Your recovery should be # 1.

I agree with regards to the tapering method, and have tried it several times. I'd say it's been well over two years and at its peak, maybe 150-200mgs per day. I have managed to taper down, but, I always seem to go back. I'm tired of doing that. I am too old and have three kids that rely on me to make smarter decisions. I am going to get clean this time.

Sure, I got opiate dependent after breaking my ribs. Dr prescribed Roxicodone. I got addicted and went to a path that I am sure a lot here are familiar with. I got sick of trying to find pills and spend money that is better served in other areas of my life. A friend of mine gets methadone, told me to try it. I took a whole one split into two doses on Friday and a half of one yesterday. I think it is more mental than physical. I'm just going to wait.
    You are just going to wait for what?? Wait uintil you are in withdrawals and then try the Subs again, or just wait for the withdrawals to maybe hit and then try to not take anything?? Go the cold turkey route maybe??

You are just going to wait for what?? Wait uintil you are in withdrawals and then try the Subs again, or just wait for the withdrawals to maybe hit and then try to not take anything?? Go the cold turkey route maybe??
    I can't do cold turkey, I have way too much work on my plate. I'm going to hit WD's take just enough sub to not feel it and then get away from it as quickly as possible. I'm tired of this struggle and am ready to beat it. Thanks for all of the answers and advice. Please take care.

I can't do cold turkey, I have way too much work on my plate. I'm going to hit WD's take just enough sub to not feel it and then get away from it as quickly as possible. I'm tired of this struggle and am ready to beat it. Thanks for all of the answers and advice. Please take care.
    Very well then! All the best to you and if I can ever be of help please let me know! I really hope that you accomplish what you're trying to do and do it with no difficulties as well! God Bless....Denny

Very well then! All the best to you and if I can ever be of help please let me know! I really hope that you accomplish what you're trying to do and do it with no difficulties as well! God Bless....Denny
    Doing well. Haven't taken any sub, don't feel great, but I'll live. Thanks for kind words. Take care.

Doing well. Haven't taken any sub, don't feel great, but I'll live. Thanks for kind words. Take care.
    Still going strong.