Need information regarding Suboxone step-down
    Hawk1952 is offline New Member

Default Need information regarding Suboxone step-down

Started Suboxone on Wed. 7/04/12. Was told to take one 8/2mg. AM and one 8/2mg. PM for 1 month and then return to see Dr.. After reading many of these posts I feel that the dose is too high and am wondering what to do. I want to discontinue the Suboxone as quickly as possible to avoid another nightmare involving addiction. If I start stepping down where do I start? Do I start stepping down from the 13mg. or can I safely pick a lower point (say 8/2mgs.) per day and begin from there? Any knowledgable advice would be greatly appreciated as I know next to nothing concerning Suboxone.

Strong Desire is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk1952 View Post
    Started Suboxone on Wed. 7/04/12. Was told to take one 8/2mg. AM and one 8/2mg. PM for 1 month and then return to see Dr.. After reading many of these posts I feel that the dose is too high and am wondering what to do. I want to discontinue the Suboxone as quickly as possible to avoid another nightmare involving addiction. If I start stepping down where do I start? Do I start stepping down from the 13mg. or can I safely pick a lower point (say 8/2mgs.) per day and begin from there? Any knowledgable advice would be greatly appreciated as I know next to nothing concerning Suboxone.
    Hi Hawk,

Welcome to the forum. You have certainly come to the right place to learn about the Suboxone. I am tapering from it myself right now it if you follow this induction and taper plan I am putting the link to at the bottom of this post, it explains everything you need to know. So just read it over carefully right now and if you have questions just post again. Hope this helps and I wish you the best.

Hugs,
    Karen

Suboxone/Subutex Induction and Taper Plan

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html <------click

Thanks for the link. I will check it out. I read and followed your thread and am very happy for you. You seem to be a very determined woman. Continued success.

Anonymous Guest

yes if you read the link it will give you all the info you need. but basically cut down your dose by 25% roughly every 4 days.... from where you are now on 13 you could easily drop 3mgs no problem right away.

good luck. and yes you are on a high dose. as usual doctors just fill us up with drugs and leave us to it... pay their mortgage and then suffer when its time to get off. yeh take control mate. best way to do it. and dont tell doc you are reducing on your own.

Thanks. Will start with my morning dose. If not for people on this site I would have followed his instructions and continued dosing at 16/4mgs. per day for a month. I hate to think that they dont care anymore than that but it sure looks that way. A steady source of income. Oh well, it is what it is. Thanks again to you and to Karen. God bless.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Can I ask a question? What is an 8/2mg? you mean 8 tablets of 2 mg. each? This is confusing to me. Just curious. Yeah, follow Robert's taper. You are definitely in good hands here with cheeky and Karen. I wish you all the best!

Iloerose

NoFear23 is offline Junior Member

a standard 8mg suboxone is 8 mgs bureonorphine and 2 mg naloxene

Yeah that is what I meant and should have said. Since I've only been on sub since Wednesday would it be okay for me to drop dosage to 8mg/2mg and begin my taper from there or would there be consequences?

Yeah that is what I meant and should have said. Since I've only been on sub since Wednesday would it be okay for me to drop dosage to 8mg/2mg and begin my taper from there or would there be consequences?
    I can't advise you with that so please be patient and wait for Cheeky or Robert to give you the answers you need. I have an idea of what to do, but I wouldn't feel comfortable saying it to you.

But Cheeky DID mention to you in post #4 above that you could safely drop by 3mg's right away if you choose to do so. Just sayin.....

But you yourself mentioned you were taking 8mg in the AM, and another 8mg in the PM and that is 16mg's per day, not 13 as you reported. It's very easy to make an error with the math and I did it too when I first started.

I just wanted CHEEKY to know you were taking 16mg's per day total instead of 13mg's!

One of those extremely knowledgable people will be here for you soon. You are doing great and keep moving forward just as you are right now. Take care and have an awesome day!

Big Hugs,
    Karen

As far as an induction there really wasn't one. Doctor had me take 8mg/2mg film and sit in a room for about an hour. He checked on me periodically, told me to take one 8mg/2mg film AM and another PM and to come back in one month. I guess I'm curious as to a starting point. I would like to get away from this stuff as soon as possible. Would it be okay if I dropped to 8mg/2mg per day and started my taper from there.

You are right and I don't know why I entered 13. For whatever reason 13 seemed to be stuck in mind. Hopefully it's not an omen. Isn't 13 considered to be an unlucky number? Just joking.

As far as an induction there really wasn't one. Doctor had me take 8mg/2mg film and sit in a room for about an hour. He checked on me periodically, told me to take one 8mg/2mg film AM and another PM and to come back in one month. I guess I'm curious as to a starting point. I would like to get away from this stuff as soon as possible. Would it be okay if I dropped to 8mg/2mg per day and started my taper from there.
    Are you asking me Hawk??? If so I mentioned that I just wasn't comfortable giving you advice or too many suggestions. I am tapering right now myself, but I am down to the day-skipping part of the process. So you should probably wait for Cheeky, or another of the more experienced people here.

But Cheeky lives in New Zealand and her time is far ahead of ours so she may get back to you later on today or even tonight. Maybe Robert will read this when he gets home from Church today in the afternoon.

I would only say that Cheeky mentioned earlier in that post above that because of the high dose you are on that you could drop right away by 3mg's. But she assumed you were on 13mg's and not the 16mg's that you are really taking.

But the taper does say to reduce your dose by 25% every 4 days or SO. That means if you are stable with your current dose for those 4 days or so then it's ok to reduce by 25% down to the next dose. And if you take your current dose and multiply it by .75 you will get your next dose amount.

So 16mg's minus 25% would equal 12mg's. Or 16mg's X .75 = 12mg's.

Like I said, it's best to wait for Cheeky before you do anything! Hope this helps and please know that I really appreciate you asking any advice or suggestions from me Hawk. I just don't want to give you any incorrect info and hope you understand that my friend! Take care and be patient.

Hugs
    Karen

That way you get away from that unlucky 13 number!

Hawk,

But I will go out on a limb and suggest that if you ARE currently stable with your current 16mg dose that you could reduce that by 25% now and go down to the new dose of 12mg's for another 4 days or so.

If I am wrong someone will post and let us both know, but I do believe that I am correct! In fact, I know that I am. So I am learning as I go and you will too Hawk!

So please Cheeky don't ever think that I am trying to take your place, or you either Robert. It's just that I am here right now and you both are probably really busy with your own things today.

I will always help when I am able and you both know that. I am just trying to pay some things back and will suggest more as I learn more!

So there you go Hawk and hope that helps!

Hugs,
    Karen

In my own personal opinion it would be way too much of a drop to go from 16mg's per day down to 8mg's. That would be 50% and just too much.

I know you want off of it fast, but you must do it the right way and you only need to do it one time. So just do it right the first time Hawk!

Hugs,
    Karen

Anonymous Guest

if you got inducted on 8mg right away. and feel fine. you could have stayed on that dose.... how many days have you been on 16mg.... sometimes its ok to drop pretty quick from a screwed up doctors induction before any damage is done......
    if you have only been on it for a day or so. definately give it a shot... otherwise just follow protocol and drop from 16mg, to 12mg. you wont even notice. >> be tempted to just go to 8....

Quote Originally Posted by cheekysod View Post
    if you got inducted on 8mg right away. and feel fine. you could have stayed on that dose.... how many days have you been on 16mg.... sometimes its ok to drop pretty quick from a screwed up doctors induction before any damage is done......
    if you have only been on it for a day or so. definately give it a shot... otherwise just follow protocol and drop from 16mg, to 12mg. you wont even notice. >> be tempted to just go to 8....
    Hi Cheeky,

Thanks for posting and taking over. I really didn't want to give any suggestions and was real careful with what I did say.

Hawk said in post #1 here that they had begun the sub on Wed. 7/4/2012 so it has been 5 days counting today to answer your question.

I didn't know it was ok to reduce so far down if they had been on it a short time. Nice to know and I learn something new everyday! Thanks again Cheeky and I hope you are doing well.

Hugs,
    Karen