Need help tapering, 32 weeks pregnant
    alimomma is offline New Member

Exclamation Need help tapering, 32 weeks pregnant

Hi all, I hope I'm in the right place. First let me say that I am aware that the doctors do not advise going off sub while pregnant, but I am 100% certain this is what's best for me and my baby. I have been on suboxone for 2 years, without a prescription. I live in a very rural area and the healthcare professionals are completely ignorant when it comes to sub. The one local mother I know personally that confided in her OB about her suboxone use was reported to child services, treated horridly in the hospital and is still dealing with social services, home inspections, etc. 6 months after her son was born perfectly healthy. She was bullied into allowing him to be started on morphine even though she (nor I) saw any signs of NAS the day after he was born. I do not want to put my child through that, I know I must be completely clean before she is born. My husband and I did not realize we were expecting until what we believed to be around 12 weeks. I was believed to be infertile and do not have regular cycles. From that point, it took me nearly two months to apply for and receive insurance and schedule my first prenatal appointment. During that time, I slowly tapered from 8mg a day to 2mg. At my first appointment last week, my ob scheduled me for an ultrasound to determine how far along I was. While we were thinking close to 20 weeks at this point, the ultrasound showed a beautiful 32 week baby! Everything looks great, she's a healthy size, great heart rate, very active. My concern is that I thought I had so much more time to finish my taper, but now I'm due July 7. I want to be clean at least a couple weeks before then, preferably by June 7. I don't want to chance being in wds when i go into labor. The past two days I have only taken 1mg with only mild irritability and some fatigue. I have been reading a ton of posts online and this is basically the only place where pregnant women were receiving any help. Most just say NO, don't do it! Can anyone lend me some guidance? I have tapered so slowly up to this point that I have felt absolutely no physical discomfort because I know that stressing my body could cause miscarriage or preterm labor. Can I make it the rest of the way clean in 4 weeks? I need some sort of schedule but haven't been able to find anything. I appreciate any and all advice, even if it's not what I want to hear! I will be glued to this forum waiting for a response.

rxqueen83 is offline Member

None of them will ever advise it due to their own incapabilities, ignorance and greed. My OB GYN gave me such a hard time when I told her about tapering off of subutex they made me sit with a social worker every appointment for an hour. I told them "I don't have to do this" and switched to a different OB GYN. It's not dangerous if done correctly. The best person to speak to would be Robert_325 and I'm sure he'll be along shortly. Good luck and hope you have an easy and safe labor. I'm 26 weeks pregnant and still slowly tapering. I'm a sloth but heck, I'll get there I'm at .25 mg stuck there. Was at 2 mg when I started tapering.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by alimomma View Post
    Hi all, I hope I'm in the right place. First let me say that I am aware that the doctors do not advise going off sub while pregnant, but I am 100% certain this is what's best for me and my baby. I have been on suboxone for 2 years, without a prescription. I live in a very rural area and the healthcare professionals are completely ignorant when it comes to sub. The one local mother I know personally that confided in her OB about her suboxone use was reported to child services, treated horridly in the hospital and is still dealing with social services, home inspections, etc. 6 months after her son was born perfectly healthy. She was bullied into allowing him to be started on morphine even though she (nor I) saw any signs of NAS the day after he was born. I do not want to put my child through that, I know I must be completely clean before she is born. My husband and I did not realize we were expecting until what we believed to be around 12 weeks. I was believed to be infertile and do not have regular cycles. From that point, it took me nearly two months to apply for and receive insurance and schedule my first prenatal appointment. During that time, I slowly tapered from 8mg a day to 2mg. At my first appointment last week, my ob scheduled me for an ultrasound to determine how far along I was. While we were thinking close to 20 weeks at this point, the ultrasound showed a beautiful 32 week baby! Everything looks great, she's a healthy size, great heart rate, very active. My concern is that I thought I had so much more time to finish my taper, but now I'm due July 7. I want to be clean at least a couple weeks before then, preferably by June 7. I don't want to chance being in wds when i go into labor. The past two days I have only taken 1mg with only mild irritability and some fatigue. I have been reading a ton of posts online and this is basically the only place where pregnant women were receiving any help. Most just say NO, don't do it! Can anyone lend me some guidance? I have tapered so slowly up to this point that I have felt absolutely no physical discomfort because I know that stressing my body could cause miscarriage or preterm labor. Can I make it the rest of the way clean in 4 weeks? I need some sort of schedule but haven't been able to find anything. I appreciate any and all advice, even if it's not what I want to hear! I will be glued to this forum waiting for a response.

First thing is GET OFF THE SUBOXONE NOW and switch to subutex! The naloxone in suboxone is not good for the baby. I can taper you off, I do it all the time. If you're at 1mg we have time, but you've got to get the meds changed. I don't like to mess around when it comes to babies. I am looking out for your baby, the dr should be horse whipped for leaving you on suboxone! I would call them right this minute and demand subutex. It even comes in an inexpensive generic buprenorphine. Let me know what they tell you. I'm waiting on you! God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by rxqueen83 View Post
    None of them will ever advise it due to their own incapabilities, ignorance and greed. My OB GYN gave me such a hard time when I told her about tapering off of subutex they made me sit with a social worker every appointment for an hour. I told them "I don't have to do this" and switched to a different OB GYN. It's not dangerous if done correctly. The best person to speak to would be Robert_325 and I'm sure he'll be along shortly. Good luck and hope you have an easy and safe labor. I'm 26 weeks pregnant and still slowly tapering. I'm a sloth but heck, I'll get there I'm at .25 mg stuck there. Was at 2 mg when I started tapering.

When you get down to a little less I would recommend a day skipping process that will make the last of this easier for you and the baby! You skip one day, then dose one day, skip two days, dose one day, skip three days, dose one day, and then once you have four days skipping behind you it should have made up for the long half life of the subs and you should be done. I'm here if I can help. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    When you get down to a little less I would recommend a day skipping process that will make the last of this easier for you and the baby! You skip one day, then dose one day, skip two days, dose one day, skip three days, dose one day, and then once you have four days skipping behind you it should have made up for the long half life of the subs and you should be done. I'm here if I can help. God bless.
    Very good. I'm going to start that today! That's a great plan. I need to search around for ideas on how to quantify the dose though. I have 8 mg pills and the .25mg dose is very small. Cutting that in half I'm not sure how I could transfer it from the cutting surface to my mouth, it's so little!

I have to see my sub doctor on Wednesday and I'm not looking forward to it. If I go in there in any type of w/d symptoms (which I have tapering) he gets on my case big time and tries to make me second guess on whether or not this is the right choice for my baby. I know it is but it's just awful the way they treat us for wanting to do something good for our baby.

Quote Originally Posted by rxqueen83 View Post
    Very good. I'm going to start that today! That's a great plan. I need to search around for ideas on how to quantify the dose though. I have 8 mg pills and the .25mg dose is very small. Cutting that in half I'm not sure how I could transfer it from the cutting surface to my mouth, it's so little!

I have to see my sub doctor on Wednesday and I'm not looking forward to it. If I go in there in any type of w/d symptoms (which I have tapering) he gets on my case big time and tries to make me second guess on whether or not this is the right choice for my baby. I know it is but it's just awful the way they treat us for wanting to do something good for our baby.

Take a 2mg piece, quarter of a pill, then crush it into powder. Use a mirror or glass picture frame. Get a single edged razor so you get it good and powedered. Using the razor divide it all into four equal piles of .5mg each. Taking only ONE .5mg pile at a time divide it with the razor into three piles as that will be close to a 25% reduction from the .25mg. Crease a business card sharply, scoop the powder ( one of the littlest piles at a time) up onto the card and pour it under your tongue. It will dissolve almost instantly, but it will work fine. I've done it like this for years successfully. And just get it as close as you can by eyeballing it. That is why I say to divide only one .5mg pile at a time. Let me know how it works for you. You will be able to get it plenty close. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 05-27-2012 at 03:53 PM.

Awesome Robert, thank you! I'm doing good. I'm almost ready to make the jump! Hey man, if I don't log in on Sunday, HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY! You deserve the biggest and most special birthday for all the help you give here on this forum. Your knowledgable, experienced and you don't beat around the bush. You tell people what they NEED to hear. Without any compensation you fix messes that physicians who are licensed after years of Medical School (and making 100's of thousands a year) make out of people.

It's super refreshing to actually get help and advice from a former addict. Although I appreciate all the counselors and people who have tried to help me over the years, the one thing that stood us apart was the way they learned about addiction; FROM A BOOK. They don't truly know what it's like to be an addict. You do.

You are also non-compensated. In today's world that's non-existent and it means a lot. You don't have an interest in keeping people addicted to dangerous drugs to fill your pockets. I would like to sincerely thank you for all the help you've given here and continue to give to myself and others. This is the most selfless act I have ever seen. I hope I'm right in remembering I read it is your bday this Sunday? LOL, otherwise I will feel like a fool!

PS - I couldn't agree with you more regarding anti depressants. Do you know how many Doctors have tried to load me up with that garbage because I'm pregnant? Or actually, for any reason. HELLO! It's normal to be moody when your pregnant. It's normal to feel emotional ups and downs when tapering, quitting drugs, getting clean, experiencing hardships, death or trauma. Why should we mask it with these EXTREMELY dangerous drugs? I have been on almost every one in the book too. Total garbage. And the practice of liberally prescribing them to pregnant women is disgusting. After I gave birth to my daughter I must have said NO ten times to ten different Doctor's and Therapists who insisted I "try" them "incase" I had post partum depression...come on now. I showed absolutely ZERO signs of PPD and even if I did get a little nutty after delivery it's NORMAL. Those drugs are DANGEROUS. I agree 100%.

You are very kind! Thanks for the nice things you had to say. God bless.